WOB in eight hours time… win versus Wiggles, discuss

I’m pretty sure it was the Beach Hotel. I haven’t been there for a couple of years, but whenever I was there for work, I’d drop in for one.

1 Like

Can you not go, we don’t need your misery at an important game.

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I’m spent!

Finally got a chance to see the whole game. Random thoughts:

Thought tommy had a great game.

The way raz keeps his feet when going at full speed, even when under pressure is unreal

Redman looks so damn composed when he gets the ball. Got a bit of fire about him too

I haven’t seen an Essendon team apply this sort of pressure and tackling since…I can’t even remember.

There was a moment in the 3qtr, right at the top of the square, guelfi bodied out the defender which caused a spill and bags snapped a goal. Beautiful to watch

The umpiring was a joke. Makes it even sweeter to beat them in spite of that

Just a great team effort

Thought Myers was good, I would be having him do a lot of handball drills throughout the week. An area of the game he really needs to improve.

Smith was smith.

Whole midfield really stood up.

Please bring the same mindset against norf, I despise them

11 Likes

Please note this is not to detract from Smooths post.

Hi, just needed to add my Nubrik story. I have the same jumper. I lived in Adelaide for 12 months and went to a practise game just after the Crows started (1991-1992), entered a raffle run buy the Adelaide Bombers, the prize was a Greg Andersaon jumper, yes, I won, number 11.

In 93 _ was back in Melb and changed the number to 13, went to every game except the interstate games. Got tix to the GF and had a ripper day, nothing like a spliff in the gardens before the game.

Anyway, fastrack to 2017 Dreamtime, annoyed Longy while he was walking around the G, got Longy to sign the jumper. now have a signed Ess Nubrik jumper, no 13, signed by the Great Man.

22 Likes

I[quote=“jodi, post:438, topic:13416”]

it’s a grey area that they make up as they go.
depending on the umpire and their interpretation.

I mean in the same situation the ump can call play on when someone is outside the boundary line and then allow them to wait for 2-3 seconds before kicking it.
but then some umpires from that situation if you change direction they will call it back and for a throw in cos you’re out of bounds.

pretty much they wing it and haven’t been called out on it cos it hasn’t been involved in a controversy yet.

I agree. I put the question a few weeks ago when one of our players was called OOB and a throw in given after the umpire called play on while he was still behind the mark and OOB. IIRC he went to kick or HB sideways, changed his mind, and the umpire call for a throw in. It was MCG HFF in front of the old northern stand (can’t remember the game or the player - I know, AN10, old age)

I believe the ball isn’t in play until it crosses the line, and you can’t have played on until then.
You will notice that the umps call play on as soon as a player steps inside the line when he has come from outside the line after a mark or free kick.

They need to come up with an interpretation and then promulgate it. It could potentially impact the result of a game, if for example a player taking a kick after the siren goes from outside the line and takes a step inside the line before kicking for goal
[/quote]

I think you’ll find the rule is if you have a free/mark and you are standing outside the field of play, once you’re called to play on and you set off in one direction, you can’t then change direction. It’s always been like that, and the 2 examples you’ve given were correct decisions.

Cool story, it didn’t disappoint, could also have mentioned Ben Cousins.

1 Like

Imagine if it was an elderly WC supporter having an episode and yelling for someone to get his drugs (medicine), and WOB, not knowing, was just standing a few seats away terrorising him.

7 Likes

#StandByWOB

4 Likes

its the draw. if we do get 13 wins we will have to have beaten so many teams above us.

Winning 7 of the last 9 games most likely involves beating North, Collingwood, and Hawthorn. All “8 point games”, which we absolutely need to get past at least four teams on the ladder.

In that sense, Port beating Melbourne was unfortunate.

Why? Their making the 8, lock that in

The others are too far ahead. Realistically only 1 spot up for grabs between North, Hawthorn, GWS and us. I’ve accounted for us beating both North and the Hawk but I still think they both could win atleast 5 from their last 9. That would require us to win 7 and boost our % just to get level. Possibly will need 8

Yes, I agree.

GWS have a difficult run home but North’s is not challenging and Hawthorn’s is easy.

With our percentage we need 14 wins to be sure of a spot.

I very rarely, if ever, post here, but this demands a response. Mate, you deserve that win after the years of crap you’ve been subjected to over there. Not to mention your long drive over here for the train wreck that was Anzac Day.

10 Likes

I was there in the week leading up to our round one match against the crows. Had to fly in & drive straight to the ground. Think I’m due back in Burnie in August, will check it out. Cheers.

Starting the game with a midfield of

Stringer Tippa and Langford.

Pretty ■■■■■■ Awesome.

4 Likes

Having had a chance to review the game without the emotion of watching it live, there were some critical matchups that really worked for us.

First of all, one on one in the 50m arcs. We didn’t allow a spare. Cant understand why we have so often in the past.

Brown on McGovern, we used him early and he hit the scoreboard which meant McGovern had to be engaged and not sag off for the intercept. Maybe we learned from the Richmond game where Rance sagged off all night and Vlaustin ran around on his own at half back. We also had Green matched up on Hurn as a defensive forward early.

Goddard (mostly) on LeCras/Cripps. LeCras or Cripps dont defend well and we used Goddard’s kicking when we won possession. Hurley was also matched on LeCras/Cripps at times and was used similarly. LeCras is very hungry this year, had an opportunity to pass the ball twice to open players behind the defence but took two long shots from 50 & missed both. Also took tacklers on when he got the ball. Unsurprisingly he wasn’t penalised, but I don’t want to go down the well publicised umpires in Perth route.

Bellchambers & McKernan vs Naitanui & Lycett. Haven’t seen official stats (nor do I care in this instance) but the ruck has been an area of strength for west coast this year. We took it away from them. It’s no coincidence that Yeo, Shuey, Masten & co had their quietest games in a while. Our rucks didn’t allow them to get into the game.

Just a side note on McKernan he’s gotta be the most penalised man on the list. The first 50 was against him for “protected zone” yet he was running along with Schofield. The non mark call, several dodgy ruck calls where he was penalised for a hold when both were holding and another where Lycett blatantly pushed him out of a boundary throw in. Very unlucky.

Forward setup. One on one, all moving and to different spots which allowed space to move, especially early and the ball movement capitalises on this. Stringer is a dangerous match up on a third defender. Had Sheppard and was too good for him. Caused them to shuffle the deck.

11 Likes

How many times did they mention Darling and Kennedy not playing? What about Daniher being out you flogs! Also the football came off an Eagles players shin, not the umpires. FFS commentary team, watch it in slo-mo. Double flogs!!

12 Likes