WOB's Journey - ANZAC 2018

Countless amazing fans support Essendon and few can doubt the commitment of one 15-year member, Ben Stockdale.

Despite hailing from Perth, Stockdale rarely misses the club’s traditional ANZAC Day clash with Collingwood and this year was to be no exception.

But rather than flying across to Melbourne, Stockdale decided to ditch the wings for wheels and a drive to remember.

“I’ve come to every Anzac Day for quite a few years now and I think I worked out I’ve flown to Melbourne about 27 times for the footy since 2006,” Stockdale said on Thursday.

“I’ve got the sort of vehicle where it’s pretty well set up and well equipped, so I thought ‘it won’t hurt to drive over once and see a bit of the country’.”

Stockdale certainly saw more than just a bit of the country, embarking on one of the longest road trips between Australian capital cities.

“It was 3500kms, so it took us near on four days. We were doing about 1000kms a day.

“The last day was pretty slow, so it was good to get into Melbourne.”

Stockdale didn’t do it alone, however. He had terrific support from a good friend on the long journey across to Melbourne.

“My mate Mike is an Eagles fan, but I actually convinced him to wear an Essendon guernsey to the game yesterday.

“He drove over with me and he’s flying back on Monday, so I’ll be driving home by myself.”

While the first part of the committed fan’s two-game trip didn’t go to plan, Stockdale assured that if the Bombers can defeat Melbourne on Sunday he will have the club’s song ready to go for the long way home.

“I’ve actually got it on my USB stick, so I’ll definitely crank it on the way out if we get up against the Dees.”

56 Likes

@westozziebomber - making it about himself

8 Likes

What else is on the USB stick?

2 Likes

They should pay for your petrol money…Great dedication WOB!!!

3 Likes

Edited out from the original article

following the game, the lifelong Essendon fan said “■■■■ ■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■, ■ ■■■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■ ■■■■■■■■. ■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■ ■■■■ ■■■ ■■■■ ■ ■■■ ■■■■■ ■■ ■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■ ■ ■■■ ■■■■■■■ ■■■. ■■■■!”

57 Likes

■■■■ this, get me back to my red cans.

1 Like

Better story would have been

" Essendon supporter, Ben Stockdale, drove all the way from Perth to pick up his membership card as he gave up waiting for his to arrive."

54 Likes

Drove 3500kms and turned up for the game. What are the players excuse?

7 Likes

Unsurprisingly the article does not link to any of wobs quality (and true) rants about how boned the club is

6 Likes

Only bomberblitz gives you the full story

22 Likes

anyone can drive across for ANZAC day. Driving over for this weeks game would be worth writing about…

2 Likes

Wait did the xlub interview him or did they just take some snippets from his posts about the trip ?

I could swear somw of that article is word for word from his posts.

Unless he just repeated everything ad nausim about the trip on his trip haha

They should have asked me for some screenshots of our text messages to really liven the article up.

4 Likes

Now where TF have you been ?

Couldn’t afford the internet with soaring meth prices in Perth. You think WOB drove for fun? Couldn’t afford the flights.

Outside of that had a kid, they’re surprisingly needy.

11 Likes

You selfish d*ck!

2 Likes

Your boy Myers has been copping a pasting in here lately.

Anyhow, good luck with the little one. :+1:

3 Likes

Why do you think he made a new one. myers is dead to him.

1 Like

I even chopped a finger off so he could be just like Myers!

1 Like

The kid’s lucky you’re not a fan of me.

8 Likes