Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

It was very good during that 5 match winning streak. If it wasn’t, we wouldn’t have won despite kicking mostly low scores.

Just let this sink in for everybody.

At the end of 2016, Woosha had coached for a year, Essendon were spooners, had what most considered a nothing list and Brisbane were 16th and considered a basket case of the league.

Essendon had 4 top ten picks, 2 more first rounders and a few other seconds.

Brisbane had 3 top ten picks, a number of late firsts and seconds. Were captained by a ex Collingwood gambling addict and their former captain was one foot out the door. They did also have a rising star in Taylor.

Neither side had anything special to build from, some reasonable senior players and a couple of strong leaders each. A group of talented youngsters.

We both picked highly talented players and in the draft. Chris fegan was appointed the head coach of the Lions.

Since then we have added the following mature players; Watson, Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Myers, Colyer, Bellchambers, Stanton, Hocking, Colyer, Howlett, Stringer, Saad, Smith, Shiel, Z.Clarke. This includes 6 All Australians, 1 premiership player, 1 rising star, A sort of Brownlow medalist and a former captain and vice captains who would be considered experienced and capable role models. It also includes 6 top ten draft picks amongst them. I admit there is some junk there, but there is some serious quality.

We have also added, McGrath, Ridley, Begley, Mutch, Clarke, Draper, Eades, Houlihan, ZerkThatcher, Guelfi, Mynott, Mosquito, Gown, Ham. Which includes 1 top ten pick who was also the rising star. Which also make us the only team in history to have two Rising stars playing in it.

The lions have added, Hodge, Jack frost, McCarthy, Neal, Adams. Includes 1 top ten pick, 1 All Australian, 1 premiership player, 1 norm smith medalist, and a former captain (all one guy).

Via the draft, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden, Cox, Allison, Lyons, Smith, Barrett, Hinge, McInerney, Rayner, Bailey, Starcevic, Wooller, Ballenden, Payne, Beams, Hanley, Smith, Berry, Joyce, McFayden, Answerth, Alison, Fullerton and Madden. Which includes 2 top 5 picks and the rest seconds and below.

They sit top 4 and look like a strong future, we just got pounded by a 100 points by a team below us on the ladder.

I guess my point is, from the end of 2016 till now we have stacked a talented youth with a side full of what I would consider proven top level players and more talent. Yet we have done nothing in three years. We have not changed.

Yet Brisbane have had a slow consistent development with far less injection of players and proven talent.

To anybody who says it takes more time - I call bullshit.
To anybody who says the coaches are doing a good job and we just need to let’s the process happen - I call bullshit
To anybody who thinks it takes more time to implement a game plan - I call bullshit

Essentially I’m calling bullshit on everything Woosha has said.

This comparison is incredibly damming of a former premiership coach at a big club with no trouble attracting top talented players vs a guy who has never played AFL, was bagged for his selection at the time and got the job because nobody wanted it after a complete exodus of talent from the club.

The supporters have every right to complain, we have underperformed to a massive level and something has to change.

62 Likes

It’s the learnings.

1 Like

Thank you for exposing our complete and utter under performance and achievement.

1 Like

Fantastic post

Nobody beats us when it comes to injections. NOBODY!!!

3 Likes

I really would like some heat put on the players also, imagine if Clarko was appointed new coach and next season we were 2-8 would you blame him or our urine soaked players?

Joey is the only elite talent on our list. No way do you willingly move those blokes on.

1 Like

I think last night and the 2nd half last week resembled late in 2013 and 2015 when the players hit the wall and struggled to be competitive. Of course the circumstances are different post saga.

The obvious reasons we have hit a wall are more than 50% of our better players are injured, some still playing. We miss their talent and we are physically unable to apply the level of defensive pressure needed.

They have played these last 6 quarters like a team that is undermanned, unable to compete at the required physical level, and also lacking the belief they can compete in their current state. That translates to a performance where they look like they are not trying, but rather it is an inability to compete rather than not caring. They showed how much they cared in the 2 months prior, and they didn’t suddenly not care.

The idea that we “carried” poor coaching for those 7 from 8 wins is silly. Rather the coaching team laid the platform (over a long period prior) to enable the team to go on a winning streak. Our coaching team can be better and we know it is already guaranteed that we get some new coaches for 2020.

The targeting of individuals to lay the blame on from the outside is just venting. And given that everyone here is a complete numpty when it comes to what happens inside our footy department, it’s venting-by-numpties. Some of us actually know that we are complete numpties, so we don’t go targeting individuals in what are mostly nasty, misinformed attacks against professionals that have infinitely more knowledge, experience and success at this level than the numpties slagging off at them.

7 Likes

You’re a confirmed imbecile- you were supposed to tell us why you thought the players were doing it for Woosha (straight from your big mouth) a few weeks ago, but now all of a sudden that’s perished.

I hope Woosha is moved on at the end of this year, as well as the majority of our assistants, fitness staff & especially X.

In saying this, after a Bex and a good night sleep one does have to consider the below:

Players out

• Daniher (AA, B&F, pinch hit ruck)
  • Smith (B&F)
  • Bellchambers (1st Ruck)
  • Guelfi (utility)
  • Parish (Pick #5 - emerging strong mid & goal kicker)
  • Francis (Pick #6 - Hurley replacement)
  • Saad (close to AA in 2019)
  • Hurley (dual AA)
  • Draper (developing to become 1st ruck)
  • Stewart (>200 cm forward target & proven goal kicker)

Players who played that will require surgery at end of year:

• Heppell (Captain)
  • Fantasia (Elite talent when fit)
  • Hooker (AA)
  • McKernan (2nd ruck)
  • Zaharakis

If we were told this during preseason you’d expect a >10 goal smashing.

Laverde was probably managed the past few weeks being so injury prone so there’s really not much left in the bank.

I get the effort was deplorable but it’s hard to stay afloat when your best/most important players are all out.

1 Like

I agree with you s_f_e other than regarding the coaching. I’ve just seen a snippet of Worsfold’s post match presser. ‘Hard to explain’ is the phrase that jumped out at me. FFS he needs to give the supporters something more than that. I’m not even confident he’s given the players more than that. Heppell said after the game that they didn’t come to play. That’s unacceptable under any circumstances. Injuries are a valid reason, although not an excuse, that the players are exhausted and performing under acceptable levels. Attitude is not. Anyone who believes the coach/coaches don’t have a part in motivating players is delusional. Of course there must be self motivation but most premiership teams are the ones who bust their gut for their coach. Can’t see Worsfold as that type of coach myself.

Thats because people think, “ok maybe I was wrong. Maybe things are improving. Maybe he does know what he’s doing.”
I’m happy to be wrong.
Then the last two weeks happen, and I go aahhh Scorp you are not wrong.
Just a brief papering over the cracks as usual.

3 Likes

We just don’t develop players. I can’t explain it but too many of our players plateau well below the level you expect them to achieve. MCG is the perfect example; wins the rising star but now a number of players in his draft year have gone past him. Whether that is to do with the team they are in or the individual talent I don’t know but this is common for nearly every single one of our players.

5 Likes

I agree. I think Jerrett was a perfect example. Came to the club had a good season got injured his better brother took his place. Worsefold came and he hardly got another game. Meanwhile they tried him in every other position except the one he was good at. Small forward. We tried to Langford into everything other than what he is, a forward.
Ridley seems to be getting the same treatment. They never recover. They’re too confused, they don’t know what their role is supposed to be.
And players like Zaharakis have never reached what their potential seems to be.
We haven’t had any exceptional players since Hird.
Stringer might be on the way, I hope so.
We have players that win the Creighton, but ask yourself if they would win the B&f at another club. You’d be surprised. It’s a false standard.

2 Likes

Very good

1 Like

Thanks I try.

I think blaming Woosh for Jackson Merrett not making the grade is a bridge too far.

6 Likes

Not just blaming him. I am using Jerrett as an example of what I think is wrong. Ridley is the real example. He’s apparently fallen off a cliff from what others are saying. He showed a lot of promise.

That is still up to the player. Many players at all clubs get treated the same way, they take it on board and they work harder and smarter to try and get back. The fact he has fallen off the cliff speaks poorly about him, not just makes Woosha a bad coach.