World Boomerang Competition , Germany 2016

For those unaware, our resident doyen of Blitz VFL game broadcasters carries the hopes of all Blitzers for a slice of fame at the 2016 World Boomerang Championships. I speak of none other than DJR.

In 2 days the competition opening ceremony will start, with the ceremonial boomerang having been carried by celebrated sportsmen and women through Germany to Kiel
Coverage of the event is available on the Boomerang worlds championships page http://www.kiel16.com

While those cynics who think that we, the Aussies who lay claim to boomerang supremacy are a shoe in, just check out the USA boomerang team facebook page to guage the seriousness of those who try to usurp us.

Best wishes to DJR. Not wanting to put too much expectation or responsibility for the nations boomerang prestige on you mate, but you better win or … instaban,

It’s not really a sport, is it? More of a pastime.

Good luck DJR!!

It's not really a sport, is it? More of a pastime.

Troll.

TBH I’m far more excited about this than the Olympics!

Go DJR… Do us proud!

I WAS SAYING BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-ooomerang

Has DJR been doing more sightseeing or training?

19 countries represented. Japan and USA are pretty strong.

I start VFL threads from Germany, so others have time for this :slight_smile:

Correction: Dreckhecken is the name of a local club who held a warm-up/social/experimental comp in Dargow this past weekend. I threw fairly poorly!

Lots of pics and videos on Facebook, mostly of drinking… The 16.22 second round of Fast Catch by Swiss champ Manuel Schütz was terrifying (and he can improve on that time).

Fellow Melbournian and two-time World Champ Rob Croll did win one of the events - time to modify/tune a “blank” boomerang (zero aerofoils) and make a throw and catch. The cheeky bugger didn’t even carve it, just bent the hell out of it and made the right kind of throw!

Follow the World Cup at kiel16.com or on Facebook (start at the link above).

No live commentary, but expect special comments from Radio 3DJR.

Japan won the title for the first time in Perth in 2014. Germany and the USA have dominated the last two decades.

However, Radio 3DJR is tipping Manuel for the first time may have enough quality support to drag Switzerland to glory.

Or maybe that’s just sentiment speaking…

Has DJR been doing more sightseeing or training?
Oh, the former. I wish I'd got a pedometer before leaving. I like to think of it as endurance training for my legs.

Known to throw on Windy Hill and a rang seller at Freo market before joining us: Courtney Johns

Best thrower: Terry Daniher

Worst thrower: Che Cockatoo-Collins

I’ve thrown a boomerang with the bomberblitz champ. Competition was useless.

Faaaark!!

I keep throwing this thread in the ignore room, but it just keeps coming back!!

Why is the World Boomerang Championships being held in Germany? Is Australia hosting the world stein drinking and pretzel eating championships or something?

Why is the World Boomerang Championships being held in Germany? Is Australia hosting the world stein drinking and pretzel eating championships or something?

It’s like the time that the truck throwing contest was held in Ustinkie, Finland

The "world" bit may be a clue... Previous ones at Perth, Sao Paolo, Rome, Seattle, Asahikawa, Charleville-Mezieres, etc.
The "world" bit may be a clue... Previous ones at Perth, Sao Paolo, Rome, Seattle, Asahikawa, Charleville-Mezieres, etc.

Like NBA World champions?

I wonder if the Russians have a team competing? If so, is the team manager from the FSB and did he bring the substitute samples and 100mm hole saw?

One of the Dutch throwers… he’s excited Francis has been named.

(Flickr have again made it hard/impossible to get the photo URL on mobile… any tips?)