World Boomerang Competition , Germany 2016

Second, that was the worst catching part of Trick Catch in my life. Wind was nasty for the first 17 throws but I threw well enough to get to them all - and then proceeded to drop them in every imaginable fashion. I didn’t catch a single one of the first ten throws. Then I got a couple, and ended up catching the last three, including the foot catch, to triple my score. Then I quite literally went to the sidelines and cried.

And yet I was still not the most devastated in our group, with French lass Marie Appriou easily taking that title: she’s young and talented and is fixated on getting past long-time best-woman-in-the-world Betsy-Lew Miale. Fell a couple trick catches short. Not that Betsy is the best woman in the world anymore; Yuko of Japan was 9th overall before the last event, having just come second in Fast Catch.

(Marie is also a massive hottie. But it’s a bit weird to say that, given she was just a kid when I first met her in Seattle in 2008.)

I do wonder if the bandage on the left side of my left eye changed things, by cutting down my peripheral vision notably - and you make most of the trick catches with the rang approaching from the left. Maybe the body was subconsciously rotated an extra (say) twenty degrees to compensate, thus explaining why the catching was inexplicably not working.

But while the skin should be one piece again now, there was no chance of me removing the butterflies etc before the individual comp as if the brow got damaged in that process I was endangering my involvement.

The boomerang family will look after me. I need a beer.

Fun/demo day. Steady light rain. Juggling finished, hunting stick throwing now on. Various other events followed, and I was best of Sprinklerhead (albeit only second place, cause I joined in very late, when the winner was already half-way to victory) to finish the day.

Sprinklerhead is a legit dangerous game but the thrill is the fun. Around 10 people throw 30+ metre two-armed boomerangs simultaneously from in or near a two-metre radius circle, and have to catch it one-handed as close to the middle as possible. Nearest catch to the middle gets 1 point; if one or more is in the centre circle they get 3 points. First to 15 points wins. It is inevitably a contact sport, though the push-in-the-back I got from the winner to stop me taking the winning catch in the middle would make an AFL umpire admit they were wrong.

So will boomerang throwing be an Olympic sport in 2024 ? I suppose it depends on how much money the IOC can make out of it. Just need Nike and Adidas branded boomerangs , and a corrupt world body based in Switzerland .

No, and no thanks.

Eleven days on, cut completely clean and black eye mostly disappearing.

Scar is about 2cm long around top and outside of left eye.

Fun/demo day. Steady light rain. Juggling finished, hunting stick throwing now on. Various other events followed, and I was best of Sprinklerhead (albeit only second place, cause I joined in very late, when the winner was already half-way to victory) to finish the day.

Sprinklerhead is a legit dangerous game but the thrill is the fun. Around 10 people throw 30+ metre two-armed boomerangs simultaneously from in or near a two-metre radius circle, and have to catch it one-handed as close to the middle as possible. Nearest catch to the middle gets 1 point; if one or more is in the centre circle they get 3 points. First to 15 points wins. It is inevitably a contact sport, though the push-in-the-back I got from the winner to stop me taking the winning catch in the middle would make an AFL umpire admit they were wrong.

Did you get that on the video replay?

Eleven days on, cut completely clean and black eye mostly disappearing.

Scar is about 2cm long around top and outside of left eye.

You will be able to compare notes with Ambo when you come back. Both having worn a Hodge Band.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1081294648617171&id=777597908986848

The woman interviewing you was faking being interested in your welfare

She’s an actress/model/presenter, how could she fake authenticity?

Pardon my if ignorance…is there left/right turning boomerangs, or left/right handed ones?

Yes. Mirror image of each other. You throw a right-handed boomerang right of the wind and it returns on the left. Lefties throw left and return on the right.

It sucks throwing with ■■■■■■ lefties, because their rangs sneak up on you from behind.

Here’s a pic I made earlier… Sadly you will find some tourist rangs that opt for “better-looking” symmetrical aerofoils, with both leading edges on the outside/top.