World Boomerang Competition , Germany 2016

Turns out the best win and equal points doesn’t make you World Champ.

Boooooooooo.

It’s 2:45am, dance floor after team awards ceremony just wrapped up. Thank deity I’m not throwing Long Distance in a few hours time…

Good work DJR. You have done yourself and your team proud.

Faaaaaaaaark me: did you hear about the doctor shot dead in Berlin? Brother-in-law of the guy who put my eyebrow back together.

Just checked on it. A jaw and facial surgeon , shot by one of his patients in Berlin. Worlds going nuts. Sad.

I had no idea this was even a thing

Faaaaaaaaark me: did you hear about the doctor shot dead in Berlin? Brother-in-law of the guy who put my eyebrow back together.

Albuquerque in 2018. Elevation of 1600 metres; no excuses for throwing short of the required distance…

I escaped being on the IFBA Competition Rules Committee after a tie-breaker vote. Phew. I rewrote the Australian Comp rules a few years back because the IFBA ones had annoying flaws to a nitpicker like me, and I suspect no one really wants to go that far…

Individual comp starts tomorrow, with 108 throwers. PLEASE let me be an early thrower in Aussie Round, not baking on the lines for hours while I wait…

Kick ■■■■ Dave.

Which Country is winning the beer drinking ? Or is that the final event ?

Which Country is winning the beer drinking ? Or is that the final event ?
Oh no, that's an ongoing event.

The Germans clearly win that (a few need to stay sober as they’re running the thing…)

You get 25 Euro cents per recycled bottle here - someone is making a lot of money out of us!

My boomerang wont come back.

Did nothing special for MTA (24.23 seconds, no thermals existing). In endurance I won on my circle of 12 throwers, with 35 throws and 35 catches in my five minutes. Tricky conditions (gusty wind and a bit of rain) means that was a decent result, and I’m maybe 45th of 113 overall. Brazilian and one-time World Champ Andre Caxieta Ribeiro appears to be leading.

Aussie Round next, which will take a verrrrrrrrrry long time. Time to work some magic.

Yay, I’m up early. Nothing worse* than waiting four hours on the lines for your go. Wind very gusty.

• there are worse things

Stupid flocks of geese flying low over Aussie Round circle - death wishes.

Well that sucked dog’s balls… four of five throws hit by huge changes of wind direction after release. Caught all but only 48/100.

(Two hours later…)

The gentle constant breeze the throwers have now disgusts me.

At least it helped Grant to a possible second top ten result for the day. Unfortunately his Endurance was a unimpressive 28 catches.

EDIT: a lot of others smashing it right now, though - Honda “Taco” Takeshi just beat him by getting 77/100

I'm maybe 45th of 113 overall.
I wish I was good at throwing as estimating/calculating. 45th was correct, finished 30th in Endurance... one ahead of Andre!

Andrea Sgattoni of Italy leading after those first two events (he won Endurance). Four time world champ Manuel Schütz in second.

Matt Barker from WA at #21 but had a horrid Aussie Round, worse than me in much better conditions. Grant at #28 but will be notably better after Aussie Round scores are included.

It waited for one minute to go on our circle before raining. Thanks!

End of Day One:

Only one thrower has stayed in single figure places for all three events: four-time world champ Manuel Schütz from Switzerland, with two 9ths and a 7th.

That gives him a small but significant lead over Takeshi (3rd, 5th, 27th) and yank Mark Legg (2nd, 7th, 27th). Consistency matters! The other four-time champ, Fridolin Frost from Germany, hovers in fifth.

I’ve slumped to 52nd post-unfair-wind-bashing. I’d be around 32nd if my last MTA throw had drifted in the wind one less metre, letting me catch it inside the 100m diameter circle you must throw in and catch in. The wind and our scoring system can be extremely fickle mistresses.

Grant is in 14th overall.

I may not be writing my travel diary as it should be, but here is the summary for the first half of the final day of the individual comp.

Rain. Wind gusts. Heavy rain. Occasionally the wind dies off (great for the thrower on at that time, as long as it doesn’t coincide with the rain…)

First event was Accuracy: ten throws from the middle of a huge target of concentric circles. I froze my shoulder during warmup, was throwing pissy little limps home to the middle (actually not even that). A mediocre 53 for me.

Happily my shoulder largely unfroze for Fast Catch. I threw in a bit of wind for an unremarkable but clean (5 throws, 5 catches) 34 second time.

Both of those scores will be smashed by many but I expect they are about the median scores today. It’s been a very random luck morning.

No scores yet but I know Manu did well in both of the events and given he’s great at Trick Catch it looks like we might have a Five Time, Five Time, Five Time, Five Time, Five Time Champion. Can you dig that, suckas?

Suspect they’ll hide the later scores to leave some suspense for tomorrow’s ceremony.

It’s sunny and mostly still out there now, as we eat lunch. LOL.

Foot Catch is going to be called Wet Butt Catch today.

There’s some serious Fark Carltoners here. It rained heavily so they stopped Trick Catch warmup. Since we were a couple hundred metres from the tent, and not softcocks, my group stayed out on the field. It stopped raining AGES ago and the (lack of) wind is fantastic… and they still aren’t back out on the field. Bastardos.

First off, Manu has won by a HUGE margin, after winning Fast Catch and (I think) Trick Catch.

Logan Broadbent (recently on American Ninja Warrior) is second, apparently. Nicest guy ever invented.