World Cup 2022

Suck ■■■■ Qatar.

3 Likes

Jesus, that many?

Yes, that many. The officials also took away passports on arrival, making many of the workers virtual prisoners. Nepalese workers were not allowed to return home to check on family members after a large earthquake devastated parts of the country.

So Qatar, the tiny Arab country uniting the world with football. Not hard to recall their WC selection was mired in strong accusations of massive bribery. Qatar (well the regime) is rich, Islamic (Sunni Muslim) and strictly fundamentalist. A pretty flawed host country and should never had been selected for this multi cultural event in a million years. Treat workers shockingly.

Suppose there’s always Al Jazeera their rolling news channel funded by the Qatari government. As reasonable a channel re: WC news and independent news generally as RT is for Moscow.

And then in stumbles the English fans who WILL find plenty of booze to upend it all. They always do. Fasten seat belts .

5 Likes

There’s massive red flags for anyone over there who does anything remotely dodgy like attempt to smuggle booze into the venues. The timing of the games isn’t ideal for us in Aus so I’ll watch a minimal amount, certainly though the group stages, and probably pay more attention once we get to the business end. This could well be the worst World Cup ever.

4 Likes

Overall, its shaping up that way @smooth … yes massive repurcussions re: drugs, alchohol etc. But the English always find a way. Not sure if this is true but floated past me.

I think France will be hard to beat back on the football side of things.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s gonna get you in strife, if that is in fact genuine.

Even with the explanation, i don’t see him being in front of the keeper

The offside rule states that if the goalkeeper is the second-last opponent and you are behind him, you will be deemed as offside.

However, if there are two players behind the goalkeeper, as seen in this instance, you will only be offside if you are ahead of the second-last opponent. In Ecuador’s case, Michael Estrada (No. 11) was seen ahead of the the line of goalkeeper Saad Al Sheeb and the next Qatar player Abdelkarim Hasan Fadlalla.

Who are they saying is offside?

Pictures here in the States seemed to say it was the guy who challenged the keeper……but when the ball was played he was no where near offside.

I’m still scratching my head over it.

2 Likes

Winners: Italy
Runners Up: Australia

4 Likes

Yeah that’s the head scratcher… especially when he never ended up getting the ball to the goal scorer. Bizarre decision.

Ok, i watched the replay again. You can’t see Estrada (the offside player) in that still, he is behind the goalie who is contesting the ball with another Ecuadorian player. Estrada’s foot is that first red line in the picture. My question then is, do the measure the lines from the feet?

Estrada is involved in the play, as he heads the ball before it’s kicked forward.

Don’t bother. The Qataris were embarrassed about the early goal and corrupt fifa were told to disallow it.
There’s no real football reason.

Qatar: the first host nation to lose the opening game of the world cup.

I thought that when it came to FIFA, $$ are a “football reason”?

They measure from the furtherest forward part of your body which you can score from. Therefore your arms are excluded but a foot would be included.

Clear as mud right?

Gotta love that pommy sense of humour!

1 Like

That is the worst VAR ever. Laughable really, but we shouldn’t be surprised.

1 Like

It was surprising, almost impossible to pick without VAR, and probably technically correct.

the offside was technically correct

absolutely laughable that Ecuador were paying $2.30 to win last night. Easy money to be made last night