Worst performance I have ever seen

It was just so disappointing. With everyone around us losing, we had a real opportunity and it just went begging. As far as I am concerned it was solely around goal kicking.

These guys are professional athletes and are remunerated very well. If they can’t slot a basic set shot from in front of goal they are not deserving of a game IMHO. I know it sounds harsh but our back line stands up as usual. Our midfielders are improving. Our delivery is still not that good, but missing set shots in front of goal is just not professional.

Not the worst performance. Just woeful kicking in front of goal. What I don't understand is why everyone got the bug at the same time?

It happens.  Miss a few in a row, especially when the game is close, and everyone else gets hyperconscious of their goalkicking, piles the pressure on themselves, tightens up, loses their rhythm, and blows the kick.  Which i turn puts more pressure on the next guy.

Happens at all levels.  I was in a school team that kicked 4.38 once...

The Stkilda game this year was WAY worse than this.

We were hard at the footy tonight and just butchered our chances with kicking for goal and some bad turnovers.

We lost to the Dees a few years ago with I can't remember how many horrific turnovers. I remember it just being comical and absolutely unbelievable.

Should get my brothers u10s team to talk to the players, kicked a solid 3.1 this morning.

Not the worst performance. Just woeful kicking in front of goal. What I don't understand is why everyone got the bug at the same time?

It happens. Miss a few in a row, especially when the game is close, and everyone else gets hyperconscious of their goalkicking, piles the pressure on themselves, tightens up, loses their rhythm, and blows the kick. Which i turn puts more pressure on the next guy.
Happens at all levels. I was in a school team that kicked 4.38 once...
Is it true your old school coach is kicking coach at the True Value Solar centre?

With what is about to come for us, we may see more of the same.

At least we will have plenty to offload at the end of the year.  Anyone who really believed with this ASADA/AFL thing hanging over our heads, we would play finals, honestly, get realistic, the odds are well and truly against us.

Stick together, we are all we have.

To those who followed us during the 70's' , this is just a flesh wound !

Fark, stop referring to the 70's. It's 2014 now and we haven't won a final in 10 years. The only other established team who hasn't is Richmond. I don't think it's unreasonable that people are getting more than frustrated.

It's a relevant point. The 70's era and the era from the mid 20's to 30's were the worst in the clubs history. We are heading into that territory.

Bellchambers kicks that goal, like my six and five year old kids could have from that far out, and I reckon it's game over.
BAD KICKING IS BAD FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!

six and five year olds?

You barely let Mrs IV catch her breath.

Actually it's eight and seven year olds, then there's a five year old.
But my point remains,

#BackOurBoys !

It happens. Miss a few in a row, especially when the game is close, and everyone else gets hyperconscious of their goalkicking, piles the pressure on themselves, tightens up, loses their rhythm, and blows the kick. Which i turn puts more pressure on the next guy.
Happens at all levels. I was in a school team that kicked 4.38 once...
Is it true your old school coach is kicking coach at the True Value Solar centre?

My team kicked 29 behinds the other week. Perfect conditions, just some atrocious kicking.
I mean, we kicked 47 goals, but still.........

It was just so disappointing. With everyone around us losing, we had a real opportunity and it just went begging. As far as I am concerned it was solely around goal kicking.
These guys are professional athletes and are remunerated very well. If they can't slot a basic set shot from in front of goal they are not deserving of a game IMHO. I know it sounds harsh but our back line stands up as usual. Our midfielders are improving. Our delivery is still not that good, but missing set shots in front of goal is just not professional.

Tell Travis Cloke that.

We have a lot of upside

That was a heart-breaker. May not have been our worst game but close to our most disappointing.

As Scorpio mentioned above I cannot for the life of me understand how professional athletes cannot kick the footy through a 7 metre gap from 30m out. These guys practice, train and are coached virtually every day. Many have been doing this since they started school. They have always wanted to play at the elite level and have done whatever it has taken to make the grade. BUT when they need to perform the most basic skill there is in our game these so called "professionals" cannot deliver.

But not only can they not find that 7m gap they cannot hit a team-mate on the chest at any distance or angle. We play really dumb football. I thought we had got that forward move of kicking the ball inside 50 to our shortest player (remember Alwyn Davy) out of our system. But at least 3 times we kicked the ball to Chappy on top of his head surrounded by 2 or 3 guys a foot taller than him. Lynden Dunn time and time again just out positioned and out read his opponent. I reckon he took at least 6 marks against Belly and Paddy by just positioning his body better.

Michael Hurley just has to understand that he is not as strong and tough as he thinks he is. Frawley just was too strong and too smart for him. Hurley didn't help matters by playing far too loose on him.

And where is the leadership. In the last minute or so we hit the front and pull everyone back - great. We get the centre break and take the ball to within 50m of goal and all the guys who have gone down back to shore up the defence are sucked right up the ground again. The Dees get a break and run the ball forward. Hooker is chasing his player out towards the boundary and Bags suddenly finds himself surrounded by 4 Dees players. THIS IS DUMB, UNDISCIPLINED FOOTY.

And finally can someone confirm that our players actually had studs in their boots tonight because many of our players kept falling over, a lot of times when under pressure. Our decision making and execution of skills under pressure (and often without pressure) was deplorable.

There are some basic principles in our game.

1. Stay on your feet

2. Win your own ball.

3. Use the ball to the advantage of your team.

Fail on 1., 50/50 on 2, and miserable fail on 3.

The other thing I didn't like was the angst and finger pointing between some of the players. Bad sign especially with the word coming from the coach that the recent events had galvanised the team.

Not happy Jan.

Smh

wasnt that bad. straight kicking wouldve made all the differnece. plus they kept a few men deep when we were looking to crush them.

cheer up folks.

Oh what a clever idea!

Maybe we could have done that when we were in front with 1min 20sec left and had the ball on the members wing.

"A few men deep" might have prevented them running the ball from the centre of the ground all the way to goal with an extra number the whole way.

Memories of the Hawthorn game, where we also allowed them to run it in with an extra number, despite only having to hang on for a minute or so.

History lessons from this club, just keep repeating, we don't learn from our previous mistakes.  Have plenty of bicarb at the ready.