Would you trade the number 1 pick? Jackets wouldn't

GWS just picked up pick 2, 31 & 51 from the lions for pick 3 and 16.

I think the only way we would have reached a deal to swap pick one was with GWS. Cant see how any swap could now happen.

GWS are sorted and there is no way we would bid on an academy player at 1 instead of luggage or Mcgrath. If we had our bluff called it would be fcked up.

So now we go McGrath or Luggage at 1
GWS take the left over of above
Lions pick next best and then both of them arent forced to use high selections for academy player.

Are GWS sorted though?

Giants General Manager Football Wayne Campbell said: “this deal further strengthens our position ahead of next month’s draft.

“By securing the second pick, we are well placed to secure some of the best young talent in the country.

“We’ll look to continue to strengthen our playing list and position in the draft during the remainder of the trade period.”

http://www.afl.com.au/trade/trade-talk

1 for 5 & 10 could still be an option. GWS gets 1&2 and then the academy kids. We only slightly win on points. Could be seen as a win/win. Of course this rely's on Carlton and StKilda handing over those picks, but it's realistic they do.

Wouldn’t trade 1 for 5 and 10.

You mad.

Take it.

You know what'd get a lot of press? Jackets swapping pick 1 for 2 in 10 and then flipping the bird at someone.

Swaps pick 1 for 2 in 10 with GWS and then flips the bird at Ameet Bains.

2 + 15 for 1 + 20?

Yep
2 + 15 (3677points) for 1 + 28 (3629 points)

2 + 15 for 1 + 20?

Yep

Really, why would you bother?

2 + 15 for 1 + 20?

Yep

It depends on whether Dodoro has a clear favourite. Gives you a better swing at talent at 15 rather than 28.
Or 1 + 20 for 2 + 10 = same reason

What we could do… is just keep pick 1 and pick the best youngster in the country.

giving up pick 1 just so we get climb a few spots in the 2nd round is just silly

That’s the thing, if Dodoro is torn on who to pick at 1 and doesn’t mind either way but GWS is SET on McGrath/McCluggage then you capitalise on that and improve your draft order, makes complete sense and both parties are happy…
2/15/20 is wonderful.

What we could do... is just keep pick 1 and pick the best youngster in the country.

giving up pick 1 just so we get climb a few spots in the 2nd round is just silly

28 to 15 is not a few spots in the second round.
But yeah, happy to keep it.

2 + 15 for 1 + 20?

Yep

You would if you both had honest discussions that revealed that both parties wanted different players at their first pick
i.e. GWS prefer McGrath and we prefer McCluggage for example.

We then also agree not to bid on Setterfield at 2, Brisbane would have already given the same assurances at 3. GWS don’t lose anything really on points. If there is goodwill between us and GWS it could happen.

We would benefit from moving up 13 spots in the draft which is actually huge. Would open up possibilities in being able to nab a quality player we otherwise might not have got (i.e. Berry or Simpkin).

Head to the draft with 3 picks inside twenty- 2,15,20.

We pick McGrath - “oh my god worst decision fold the club we should have take Mcclugage”

We pick McClugage - “oh my god worst decision fold the club we should have take Mcgrath”

But seriously, pick McGrath. Play him off half back next season, win the rising star, then in his second season start rolling him through the midfield like Mills will this season coming up. Players who break the line are so valuable, especially considering we already have Zerrett and Heppell.

2 + 15 for 1 + 20?

Yep

You would if you both had honest discussions that revealed that both parties wanted different players at their first pick
i.e. GWS prefer McGrath and we prefer McCluggage for example.

We then also agree not to bid on Setterfield at 2, Brisbane would have already given the same assurances at 3. GWS don’t lose anything really on points. If there is goodwill between us and GWS it could happen.

We would benefit from moving up 13 spots in the draft which is actually huge. Would open up possibilities in being able to nab a quality player we otherwise might not have got (i.e. Berry or Simpkin).

Head to the draft with 3 picks inside twenty- 2,15,20.

If you were honest, and both wanted different players, whats the benefit of them trading?
Isn’t the reason they would because they might not get the player they’re after?
Unless its the prestige of pick 1

Sorry - at work and missed Setterfiled part. I don’t think they think we’ll bid on Setterfield. I guess it takes out that chance

Lets do it

2 + 15 for 1 + 20?

Yep

Assuming we want Clug and GWS want McGrath, this is a free 13 spot upgrade

2 + 15 for 1 + 20?

Yep

Assuming we want Clug and GWS want McGrath, this is a free 13 spot upgrade

I would only do this if GWS agree they want McGrath 100%, we take Clug at 2.

Is it starting to sink in yet that it is as good as it’s going to get? We should be like Charlie in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and just chill and wait till the factory is offered to us. All those uppity ■■■■■■■ getting in and getting there’s. Pushy as…

2 + 15 for 1 + 20?
Yep 2 + 15 (3677points) for 1 + 28 (3629 points)
You would bother because the difference between #1 and #2 is perceived as small, whereas the shift of 28 to 15 is thirteen spots. That is a lot of players to be selected, which may take the one you want. #15 is a much better position than #28, and if you rate #1 and #2 similarly (or think GWS will take the one you rate lower) then the cost is minimal.
2 + 15 for 1 + 20?
Yep 2 + 15 (3677points) for 1 + 28 (3629 points)
You would bother because the difference between #1 and #2 is perceived as small, whereas the shift of 28 to 15 is thirteen spots. That is a lot of players to be selected, which may take the one you want. #15 is a much better position than #28, and if you rate #1 and #2 similarly (or think GWS will take the one you rate lower) then the cost is minimal.

Don’t think the 13 difference would matter to GWS as they will only be using those picks for points for their academy players. I think the bigger issue is Essendon’s inability to do anything!

Pick 1 for a gun key forward…you just never know

Us having not done anything as yet this trade period isn’t a drama IMO

We have replaced Pears/Hibbo via Dea/Kelly already and negotiating with Melb to put up something decent.

It’s clear we are after class mids only or quality kpf’s. Patton keeps getting talked about, Woosha spoken to JRiewoldt and most likely missed out on JOM. Who cares about some of the good - average players other clubs have traded thus far.

And we are carrying the whip hand with pick 1… the offers will come from GWS or GC for it. Neither of which have finalised their position.

GWS still has Marchbank, Pickett, Stewart, Hoskin-Elliot, Steele deals to sort out.

GC still has JOM, Prestia… and the incoming players like Hanley, AhChee etc to do as well.

Once they have there will be the serious attempts on pick 1 IMO. And also we will then know what we have at our disposal to go after other players.