Would you trade the number 1 pick? Jackets wouldn't

I would take 4-8-10 for 1 and hibberds pick

Do the points work?

Do the points work?

The points didnā€™t really work out for the deal just done between St Kilda and Hawthorn. I donā€™t think it has to get within 200 points does it?

Bugger em. If they want pick 1 badly enough we can do it without handing over our hibberd pick.

EDIT: Oops, didnā€™t seen the pick 10 that 6 monfries and coke had chucked in there. No way would that get over the line.

1 for 4&8 maybe.

Do the points work?

The points didnā€™t really work out for the deal just done between St Kilda and Hawthorn. I donā€™t think it has to get within 200 points does it?

Bugger em. If they want pick 1 badly enough we can do it without handing over our hibberd pick.

EDIT: Oops, didnā€™t seen the pick 10 that 6 monfries and coke had chucked in there. No way would that get over the line.

1 for 4&8 maybe.

Future pick muddies the Hawks/Saints deal so everyone can just shrug, Hawthornā€™s first rounder next year could be pick 1, could be pick 18.

We wonā€™t be trading pick 1 people need to move on.

ā€œWelcome to Essendon Cluggaā€

Is this the fantasy footy thread?

I dunno what fantasy, but there is a lot of wanking going on.

Do the points work?

1 for 4&8 maybe.

Future pick muddies the Hawks/Saints deal so everyone can just shrug, Hawthornā€™s first rounder next year could be pick 1, could be pick 18.

Even if Hawthorn were to win the flag and their first round pick was pick 18 it is as follows:

Pick 10
Pick 68

= 1454 points

vs

Pick 18
Pick 23
Pick 36

= 2302 points

And thatā€™s WORST case scenario. Hawks could well take time to adjust with their new mix and be around about the 6-10th mark.

Saints have brained them and set themselves up with 2x FIRST ROUNDERS, 2xSECOND ROUNDERS next year*

*Their own 2nd rounder for next year traded for Steele.

And Saints based on that trade must be the frontrunners for a big fish like Fyfe next year.

Do the points work?

1 for 4&8 maybe.

Even if Hawthorn were to win the flag and their first round pick was pick 18 it is as follows:

Pick 10
Pick 68

= 1454 points

vs

Pick 18
Pick 23
Pick 36

= 2302 points

And thatā€™s WORST case scenario. Hawks could well take time to adjust with their new mix and be around about the 6-10th mark.

Saints have brained them and set themselves up with 2x FIRST ROUNDERS, 2xSECOND ROUNDERS next year*

And Saints based on that trade must be the frontrunners for a big fish like Fyfe next year.

They nailed that trade
A sniff of desperation from the Hawks.
Two drafts without bringing in top young talent from the draft.
A shame they got Mitchell so cheap.

Is this the fantasy footy thread?

I dunno what fantasy, but there is a lot of wanking going on.

Heā€™s pretty popular around here the old Mr Wayne King.
Particularly at this time of year.
There are heaps of Einstoots with exotic theories.

Do the points work?

1 for 4&8 maybe.

Pick 10
Pick 68

= 1454 points

vs

Pick 18
Pick 23
Pick 36

= 2302 points

They nailed that trade
A sniff of desperation from the Hawks.
Two drafts without bringing in top young talent from the draft.
A shame they got Mitchell so cheap.

Itā€™s way more than two drafts. They didnā€™t take a first round pick in 2011, 2012, 2013 or 2014. Hawks havenā€™t had much interest in the draft for years.

EFC will offer Pick 1 for Patton and GWS Pick 3, because GWS "want" McGrath and Setterfield... they take McGrath with pick 1 and only then have to match with other pick points for Setterfield.

GWS also have to reduce their list from 40 to 38 for 2017, with coming salary cap pressures with all the talent they have. Also they have locked away Cameron, Lobb who were their priorities and Patton will cause them salary cap pressure as he comes out of contract end of 2017.

Losing marchbank steele mccarthy pickett Stewart barrett would help

Yes but they still have the draft also, where they have at least 2 academy players and another 1-2 players to selectā€¦so back to the #38 squeeze

really want patton, but other then this forum i have heard nothing about him leaving. think something will happen soon?

I think he has an investment property in Melbourne so at least would have somewhere to sleep once he kicked the tenants out!!

His parents house is next door to Adrian Dodoroā€™s

I reckon 4&8 to us would still definitely be on cards if they get 6 off the Tigers which has to happen or they won't get Prestia.

GC get their choice at 1.

Brisbane will bid at 3 for Bowes, of which after the discount 6 is enough points for. And they still have 10.

GC - 1, Bowes & 10 (and Hibbo pick)
EFC - 4, 8

If they donā€™t do it they have to use points from 4 and part of 6 on Bowes assuming we bid. Which we would.

I wander if Dodo minds a pub brawl?

GWS Giants have called Essendonā€™s bluff after plan to pick Will Setterfield revealed

NEIL CORDY, The Daily Telegraph
October 12, 2016 8:00pm

GWS have called Essendonā€™s bluff over revelations the Bombers are considering using the No.1 pick in next monthā€™s draft to recruit Giants academy star Will Setterfield.

The Bombers are set to bid for Setterfield and Gold Coast academy player Jack Bowes in a move that would force the expansion clubs to pay a premium price to secure the prized midfielders.

The Giants have six selections in the draft, including the third, 15th and 16th choices, and would potentially have to use multiple picks to land Setterfield if the Bombers bid for him.

That would then allow the Bombers free to choose another player, but Giants football manager Wayne Campbell said GWS would not alter their draft approach.

ā€œIf they (Essendon) have Will at one they will pick him at one, but if they have him lower than that just to force us to bid it wouldnā€™t make sense unless weā€™ve got him at No.1 ourselves and that is a work in progress,ā€ Campbell told the Daily Telegraph.

ā€œEssendon, like us, have a draft order which is probably set but can still change over the next month.ā€

At 190cm Setterfieldā€™s size and shape has recruiters licking their lips at the prospect of the Albury product running through their midfield.

He started at the Giants Academy as a 13-year-old but has spent the last year as a scholarship holder at Caulfield Grammar, the same school Chris Judd and Dylan Shiel attended.

Essendonā€™s potential move on Setterfield at next monthā€™s draft follows a feeling of unrest among Melbourne clubs, who believed the Giants picked up Jacob Hopper (pick seven) and Matt Kennedy (pick 13) at below market value.

Itā€™s a suggestion Campbell flatly refuted.

ā€œIf that is the case they should have bid on them earlier and they didnā€™t,ā€ Campbell said.

ā€œIf they thought that Jacob Hopper was the fourth best player in it they should have picked him at four but they didnā€™t.

ā€œIf youā€™re in the first six before Hopper goes at seven or you are in the first 12 before Kennedy goes at 13 and you think heā€™s in the best six or dozen then you pick him and they didnā€™t.

ā€œItā€™s not like you canā€™t get them because they are in the academy players can go anywhere. If Essendon pick Will Setterfield at one heā€™s not going to say heā€™s not coming.ā€

In other news, Giants veteran defender Joel Patfull has called it quits. The 31-year-old has played 38 games in his two years at the club after moving from the Brisbane Lions where he won two best and fairests and played 182 games.

ā€œI feel like the time is right to retire and I leave the game with no regrets,ā€ Patfull said.

ā€œIā€™m very fortunate to have played at two clubs and gained the lifelong friendships I have.ā€

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-giants-have-called-essendons-bluff-after-plan-to-pick-will-setterfield-revealed/news-story/fff3a355925e486eb50ae8b96660502f

Lol a day later the Sydney journo Neil Cordy puts out this piece in the Daily Telegraph

Campbell is a solid as Footy Manager as he was Umpires bossā€¦They want us to pick someone else so they can pick a non academy player at 2 so they can use lower picks for academy playersā€¦ GWS want McGrath, our play should be to hype up around him because he is a jet

Just pick the best kid with 1 ... McGrath! GWS have so many quality mids. They'd be looking for a point of difference. McGrath is a superstar in the making! McC just another layer of what GWS already have.

I honestly think, the best kid, for our needs - is McCluggage. Imagine for the next decade having Heppell, Merrett, Parish and McCluggage as our core 4 mids, and rotate all the others through. While McGrath is obviously going to be a superstar player also, and Bulldogs + Giants have proven the importance of a classy hard-working HBF - I still think without the core midfield all being elite, we will never get to the top again.

No point having an elite midfield if your back line canā€™t run and carry it out of thereā€¦ go back and watch McGrath in U/18 champs and TAC Cup finals, seriously some sexy stuff, his vision to get it to someone else which then allows him to run and get the return handball in space is elite, he seeā€™s the game unfold before othersā€¦ you canā€™t teach thatā€¦ I dont care how good MyLuggage is, McGrath has tangibles that are impossible to discountā€¦ and he is HARD at it, so can roll through the midfield

Want Clug but with Taranto pushing up would happily take 4 and 8 off GC.

Iā€™ve posted this elsewhere. Not updated for them getting #10 (presumably. Why GC wonā€™t do a #4 and #8 trade:

If a team bids on Bowes at earliest opportunity (#2 with trade, #1 otherwise).
No Trade: Bowes takes #4 and #6 and get back #11.
Trade: Bowes costs #6, #22 and get back #33
Both lose #4, #6 and get Bowes. Difference: #1, #33 versus #8, #11 and #22. Win for ā€œnot tradingā€

If he is bid on at #2
No Trade: Bowes takes #4
Trade: Bowes costs #6, #22 and get back #33
Both lose #4 and get Bowes. Difference: #1, #33 versus #6, #8, and #22. Win for ā€œnot tradingā€

If he is bid on at #3
No Trade: Bowes takes #4
Trade: Bowes costs #6, #22 and get back #24
Both lose #4 and get Bowes. Difference: #1, #24 versus #6, #8, and #22. Win for ā€œnot tradingā€

Probably worse if they have #10 since instead of #22 being downgraded post trade, it would be #10 being downgraded. I can not see any reason they would do that deal.

What if Gold Coast slide this across the table with half an hour to go on the last day?

6 + 8 for 1 and 59.

Who would take that?

Hmm, now that is more believable from a GCS POV. Especially if they thought we would bid on Bowes on #1, because in that situation they lose #6 anyway (although they get back #11).

From our POV, Iā€™d consider it. If Brisbane or GWS bid on Bowes GCS still lose #4. So its really #5 and #7 (non-academy kids). #5 gives us one of (likely) SPS, Brodie and Tarranto. #7 gives us one of Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Florent.

Iā€™m not an expert on the draft - but I think that would be a good deal. You would have a decent shot at still getting the best player from the draft with those options. Taranto or Brodie + Ainsworth could be considered near a perfect draft (inside grunt + forward silk).

Just pick the best kid with 1 ... McGrath! GWS have so many quality mids. They'd be looking for a point of difference. McGrath is a superstar in the making! McC just another layer of what GWS already have.

I honestly think, the best kid, for our needs - is McCluggage. Imagine for the next decade having Heppell, Merrett, Parish and McCluggage as our core 4 mids, and rotate all the others through. While McGrath is obviously going to be a superstar player also, and Bulldogs + Giants have proven the importance of a classy hard-working HBF - I still think without the core midfield all being elite, we will never get to the top again.

No point having an elite midfield if your back line canā€™t run and carry it out of thereā€¦ go back and watch McGrath in U/18 champs and TAC Cup finals, seriously some sexy stuff, his vision to get it to someone else which then allows him to run and get the return handball in space is elite, he seeā€™s the game unfold before othersā€¦ you canā€™t teach thatā€¦ I dont care how good MyLuggage is, McGrath has tangibles that are impossible to discountā€¦ and he is HARD at it, so can roll through the midfield

Watched them all, saw him live (take photos of TAC for AFL sometimes), doesnā€™t make me think McCluggage is not a better fit for our side. In my opinion, our 2017 defence is higher up the ladder than our 2017 midfield. If Clugg wasnā€™t available, I would without doubt want McGrath - I think they are equally worthy of pick No. 1. But I think we need elite goal kickers in the guts more than elite HBFā€™s. If our midfield was as rich as GWS/WBD then yeah, would love McGrath with 1. But it ainā€™t near that level yetā€¦ but this is not a knock on McGrath at all, I rate him very highly, just that I think our side needs more midfield class more than him. In an ideal world we would get both of them!

AFLTradewhisper just tweeted something about ess and gws and #1 pickā€¦

Imagine the deals that would be thrown at hawthorn if they had pick 1.

Take McL. Hope some decent talent slides through to our 2nd round (s).