Would you trade the number 1 pick? Jackets wouldn't

We should do a mega trade raffle for pick #1 in exchange for picks 2, 3, 4 and 5

GET RID OF IT.

I’m freakin out

Shouldn,t even be considering trading pick one. Opportunity doesn’t come along that often(and of course you don’t want it to as no one wants the wooden spoon) McCluggage and McGrath are both going to be guns (that’s why other clubs are so interested in getting picks one and two, Giants desperate for McGrath and now have pick two) and either will be great alongside Parish, Francis and Merrett in the future, will really set us up… Should also pick up a very good player with pick 20. I am ok with bringing in Stewart from the Giants as long as it is for a later pick. Would also consider Rockliff (even though sounds like he needs to pull his head in at times) possibly with pick 29 if we get it from Melbourne for Hibberd. Would leave O’Meara alone, too expensive at $700,000 and injury concerns and he preferred Hawks to us as his first choice club.

@frosty

Obvious is it not…

Pavlich retired
Sandilands 1yr left
Clarke likely to leave as FA (& a dud)
Apeness - has not come on
Hannath - lacks mobility

They always fall down due to talls and have thrown the kitchen sink at talls via trade at recent times and can’t land them even if they are from WA.

Clark
Cloke
Hooker
Hogan
Lobb

Even Aaron Black who is also from WA not getting a game at North no certainty to go back to Perth.

Their only means is to draft them as have been unable to trade for them. They can’t afford to let a high quality tall slip through their fingers IMO.

And English is exactly that as a ruckman with amazing mobility & skills, Dean Cox like apparently. And Marshall is the most highly rated kpf.

They are both expect to go top 10, not quite at 3 but if Freo don’t trade 3 down that’s their only chance to get a class tall.

IMO they’d go English at 3. Who is from WA

Ya wrong about Apeness he is a beast and they already resigned him, been slightly injury prone but will come good. Freo fans love him, especially ardent Peel supporters.

Aaron Black would be an excellent addition.
Ready made FF unwanted by North.
He will make our team alot better.

Cheers

Imo the only chance of anything happening now is from GC. If they have 4,6,8,10 by the end of today they might make an offer tomorrow morning to get in front of a Bowes bid. Might.

Or alternatively, i could see a tactical advantage to them if we accepted 4+8 (example) BEFORE the Omeara deal was done because it throws enough doubt on JOM getting through to 10 in the ND to force Hawthorns hand. They know we have cap space so it would be a gamble to assume they could price him through to 10. Whereas Port at #9 are already in cap problems.

Imo the only chance of anything happening now is from GC. If they have 4,6,8,10 by the end of today they might make an offer tomorrow morning to get in front of a Bowes bid. Might.

Or alternatively, i could see a tactical advantage to them if we accepted 4+8 (example) BEFORE the Omeara deal was done because it throws enough doubt on JOM getting through to 10 in the ND to force Hawthorns hand. They know we have cap space so it would be a gamble to assume they could price him through to 10. Whereas Port at #9 are already in cap problems.

That’s assuming we want to give up 1.

I get the impression from Dodoros interviews he wants to keep it. I think it would take a fair steak knife to pry it from him and Merves vice grip on it.

Especially if they have already narrowed it down to two and are a long way down the road to finalising it.

Maybe 4,8 and McKenzie might be an option.

I agree. Of course it only happens if we are willing to trade. I was just pointing out that from GC side it might prompt an offer.

1 and 29 = 4 & 8

Someone rang up trade radio earlier suggesting we trade 1 for 4 and 8. It was their view that We want pick 1 and won’t trade it. Just their opinion but I do rate Cullum Twomey.

Someone rang up trade radio earlier suggesting we trade 1 for 4 and 8. It was their view that We want pick 1 and won't trade it. Just their opinion but I do rate Cullum Twomey.
We want McGrath. Clearly.

Suns have 4, 6 + 8.

Who are the numbers people to make this happen.

1 + ?? for 4, 8 and CANNON?

I’d prefer #8 for #20 and #41. Doable if GCS want the leverage over Hawthorn more than the slight points loss this would give.

I'd prefer #8 for #20 and #41. Doable if GCS want the leverage over Hawthorn more than the slight points loss this would give.

2 in 10 and still have #1?

That’s crazy good!

Why would GC do that? With 4, 6 and 8 they will get two top 10 players on top of Bowes. #20 and #41 doesn’t help them with Bowes, so why sacrifice a top 10 pick just to get back at Hawthorn?

Sticking to your guns and making a statement is one thing. Actively putting yourself in a weaker position just to get back at a rival is childish playground stuff.

Why would GC do that? With 4, 6 and 8 they will get two top 10 players on top of Bowes. #20 and #41 doesn't help them with Bowes, so why sacrifice a top 10 pick just to get back at Hawthorn?

Sticking to your guns and making a statement is one thing. Actively putting yourself in a weaker position just to get back at a rival is childish playground stuff.

It depends on how they see the possibilities:

Don’t trade

1. GCS fold: JOM for #10. Keep #8.
  2. Hawthorn folds: #10 and player, keep #8. Best outcome.
  3. Neither folds: Lost JOM for nothing. Keep #8. Either use #8 in the ND on JOM, or Hawthorn probably gets him for #10.

Trade with EFC
Avoid Essendon bid on Bowes at #1 which wipes out #4 and reduces #6 to #11.
4. GCS fold: Effectively JOM & #8 for #10, #20, and #41. Worst outcome.
5. Hawthorn folds: Effectively trade JOM & #8 for #10, #20, #41 and good player.
6. Neither folds: Lose JOM and #8 for #20 and #41.

Obviously, a lot of those are bad outcomes for GCS. But if they know they won’t fold, then the question is whether Hawthorn will. Scenario 5 where Hawthorn folds is a LOT better than anything except scenario 2. Doing the Essendon trade means the ONLY way Hawthorn can get O’Meara is to meet Gold Coast’s terms, so it could be seen to be effectively saying:

#8 for good Hawthorn player, #20 and #41 (plus no #1 bid on Bowes).

That is a good trade. The question is whether or not doing it will force Hawthorn’s hand. If it doesn’t, then GCS are left with either accepting #10 on its own or losing JOM for nothing. They may see it as a good bet, especially if it safeguards pick #6 from a Bowes at #1 bid.

I'd prefer #8 for #20 and #41. Doable if GCS want the leverage over Hawthorn more than the slight points loss this would give.

I’d prefer #4 and #8 for #77, but it doesn’t matter what I prefer.

Why on earth would GC even look at 20 and 41 for 8? How would that benefit them at all?

Points, points, points!!

Why on earth would GC even look at 20 and 41 for 8? How would that benefit them at all?

See the post just before yours (I must have posted at the same time you did).

It is valuable to them if they think Hawthorn is planning on taking O’Meara through the ND. We’ve done the due diligence, think he can stay and would pick him at #8. So if the real option for GCS is either take #10 or nothing, then if this forces Hawthorn’s hand it effectively trades #8 for #20, #41 AND an acceptable Hawthorn player.

As well as presumably meaning we would agree not to bid at #1 on Bowes, which stuffs their pick #6 as well as the sunk cost of #4.

Points, points, points!!
Actually, we win on points in my scenario.

Points, points, points!!
Actually, we win on points in my scenario.

Yeah but what does points have to do with us?

Life without Pick #1 is pointless