Would you trade the number 1 pick? Jackets wouldn't

Pick 1 and 37 for Prestia and Pick 8/9.

Would add so much to our midfield, Pick 8 can go to Ainsworth, Battle, Marshall, English, Venables, McGrath.

1 and 19 might get it done.

Purple ■■■■ is going to have a brain melt down next year. He won’t be able to handle us coming good. Especially if Hurley, Hibbered, Watson and Belly return.

Can you imagine the vitriol about us benefiting from the saga when a scenario like this happens.

It’s round nine, we have played most of the bottom teams and are 8-1. Parish is killing it with average 30 and the freedoms of being the last midfielder. Francis is the league intercept leader at HBF playing third tall and McCluggage is having a stellar start to his first year on the wing. Neal has continued his good form from Freo racking up and average 35, and our second string midfield of Zerrett, Parish and Zaka are destroying teams on rotations. Watson is in Brownlow form and Heppell is his usual dominant self. Hurley and Hartlett are holding down the key defensive posts with no pop tall having kicked more than 2 goals. Up forward Daniher has 25 and Hooker is leading the Coleman with 38, fantasia, Langford, Laverde and Eades are all on track for 30plus goal years.

Never ever read Barrett. And that column in particular is the most inane waste of time you could ever imagine. Sliding Doors? No, just the purple one’s opinions formulated into an If-Then statement. It doesn’t even create interesting discussion points.

Are we a chance of beating gold coast, now Ablett is ruled out for the year.

Dont think so, Brisbane is our best chance of a win before the end of the year. Cant see them winning another game TBH

Pick 1 and 37 for Prestia and Pick 8/9.

Would add so much to our midfield, Pick 8 can go to Ainsworth, Battle, Marshall, English, Venables, McGrath.

Are we a chance of beating gold coast, now Ablett is ruled out for the year.

As long as we apply for one so everyone can get super angry and annoyed at us I’ll be happy.

Lol Imagine the melts you would see.

The audacity… :slight_smile:

Bowes is no chance.

Where is Brodie? Not a fan?

There are at least 4 players I'd be happy with at #1, so trading #1 for #4 and (say) #8 makes sense to me.

The more the season goes on the less I feel the same way in terms of pick 1.

I think that Mccluggage is now the standout and the longer the season goes the more obvious this is becoming. Another 36 disposals and 3.2. Can’t remember a midfielder at that level getting the possessions he does and also kicking the number of goals that he does.

Nobody is coming close to him this year including the academy players.

Won’t pick 4&8 get pushed down after all the bidding and compo picks are sorted?

Yes, to a degree. But when I say there are 4 I would be fine with, I’m excluding them. #8 though will definitely be effected, and when people say even top 7-8 players I honestly don’t know if they’re including the academy players or not. I suspect they are.

But I’d be happy with any of McLuggage, Ainsworth, Bowes or SPS. If we could then get a Marshall, McGrath, or one of a heap of others with #8 then even if we don’t get the best player, I think we’ll still have improved the list more. Those top 4 all sound like they could be elite at AFL level though.

I would be walking in and saying for 1 I want OMeara, 4 and 8 and swap 37 for whatever second round pick they have.

yep if they’er gonna ■■■■■ we’re hard to deal with make the allegation a reality.

I would be walking in and saying for 1 I want OMeara, 4 and 8 and swap 37 for whatever second round pick they have.

The system actually works fine.

They just need to ensure the academy players are in fact from academy regions that the clubs invest resources into.

Bullshit that clubs likes GWS can sign the best kids in the country to their academy because they happen to come from that region.

right? Hopper boarded in ■■■■■■■ ballarat. last I checked that was in victoria.

I think the 5 best kids in this years draft are all tied to these ■■■■■■ academies it’s not right.

I wouldn’t worry about that. Only 1 is top 5 worthy and he is definitely outside the best 3.

Bowes

Essendon are the ones who should be getting Bowes considering they have pick 1.

why? when mc#1age is better.

There are at least 4 players I'd be happy with at #1, so trading #1 for #4 and (say) #8 makes sense to me.

I think that Mccluggage is now the standout and the longer the season goes the more obvious this is becoming. Another 36 disposals and 3.2. Can’t remember a midfielder at that level getting the possessions he does and also kicking the number of goals that he does.

Won’t pick 4&8 get pushed down after all the bidding and compo picks are sorted?

Yeah but that’s irrelevant as the top academy players aren’t really being considered as part of the pool.

The system actually works fine.

They just need to ensure the academy players are in fact from academy regions that the clubs invest resources into.

Bullshit that clubs likes GWS can sign the best kids in the country to their academy because they happen to come from that region.

right? Hopper boarded in ■■■■■■■ ballarat. last I checked that was in victoria.

I think the 5 best kids in this years draft are all tied to these ■■■■■■ academies it’s not right.

I wouldn’t worry about that. Only 1 is top 5 worthy and he is definitely outside the best 3.

Bowes

Essendon are the ones who should be getting Bowes considering they have pick 1.

I like the lateral thinking. I hadnt realised how many picks GC have in the 20's (based on current ladder position). But its worth noting that even so, they dont have enough points to take Bowes and Scheer at #2 and #3 in Benny'scenario:

Picks 20, 22,24,27,42, 60 = 3786 points

Pick 2 = 2517 = 2097 with discount
Pick 3 = 2234 = 1861 with discount.

Points needed = 3958.

A few things need to be said though. Firstly, Bowes and Scheer almost certainly wouldnt attract bids at 2 and 3 so it becomes more feasible for GC. But offsetting that is that there are a couple of other Academy kids they likely need points for. Even if they are only 2nd round bids. Also, there is a likelihood that the discount system is getting changed which will make the points needed higher. And finally, if they had to find an extra thousand points on top of what they have, and the AFL stick to the “within 200 points” test that was mentioned last trade period then that becomes extremely hard to make up.

Offloading 6 and 10 removes a lot of points from them. I suspect they’d look more to trade a player and one of those picks for #1, if indeed they wanted access to first choice and keep the other 1500-odd points.

More broadly, the Vic clubs need to get together and stop giving these sides continual access to the best kids. Gws got more for Treloar than Adelaide got for Danger? That they can then use to continue the talent circle? Crazy.

Interesting how many academy players GC have access to. I wasn’t across their academy options. Clearly there’s a lot of depth available in their academy, sounds similar to GWS but without the obvious issue of the Riverena zone.

Will admit to being a tad half arsed with my maths on a those trades, largely because it’s so early in the year that it’s completely unrealistic. Couldn’t remember that it was a 200 point range for those trades, good to know. I seem to get some twisted enjoyment out of this stuff, so will probably give it a proper crack come trade period.

Having done this exercise, a few things jump out at me:

• If the 12 come back, we probably have more picks than we have list spots.
  • A trade with GC or GWS to get another 1st rounder is most likely, either using pick 1 or a package of late picks.
  • GC have the most to offer if they can be reasonable at the trade table.
  • A trade likely of a player for a 2nd/3rd round pick so it can be later used in a pick swap deal. (Also would free up a list spot in a tight year)
  • Trading pick 1 for a player + top 10 pick makes sense for both clubs.
  • Most 1st round picks held by academy clubs will be traded. We need to make the most of this so that other clubs don’t get better deals.
  • complicated 3 way trades involving a player clouds the 200 point difference rule, so can be used if the point values don’t match perfectly. E.g Carlisle trade.
  • Pick 1is ridiculously over valued in points land. Can get you a lot of value if you let it go.
Lions are getting a priority pic
I don't reckon we'll have the number 1 pick. I reckon the AFL will give Brisbane a priority pick.

If the AFL was to do this then:

1. It means we don't get the first pick and the AFL no longer have to deal with "Essendon shouldn't get the number one pick" debate.
  2. It's another opportunity for AFL to fark us.

They’ve already got it. Just not sure where.

I am pretty certain you will find the AFL has told the Lions they are not getting a pick just money.

Yep

And the AFL is integrity personified

Oddly enough... I'd prefer to hang on to the first pick and take who we think is the best player for us. I'm not comfortable trading down and having to take whoever is left over.

Have any teams traded down a top 5 pick successfully?
People point at Melbourne trading down but I’m sure they’d much rather Kelly than Dom Tyson. Cannot recall who else they got as steak knives.

I’m happy to take McCluggage, add him to our midfield core for the future and see how we go next season. I don’t think we’ll be outside the bottom 5, so I’d be happy to add another top 5 midfielder to the Parish, McCluggage, Zerrett and Heppell.

Out: Pick 2, 20, 72
In: Dom Tyson, Pick 9, 53

Their next stroke of genius was using pick 9 on Christian Salem.

Lions are getting a priority pic
I don't reckon we'll have the number 1 pick. I reckon the AFL will give Brisbane a priority pick.

If the AFL was to do this then:

1. It means we don't get the first pick and the AFL no longer have to deal with "Essendon shouldn't get the number one pick" debate.
  2. It's another opportunity for AFL to fark us.

They’ve already got it. Just not sure where.

I am pretty certain you will find the AFL has told the Lions they are not getting a pick just money.