Wrap Up v Richmond

Maybe but I hope not. We need A grade mids not an A grade backpocket

2 seconds away from biggest loss ever to Richmond if the commentators had their stats right.

Just not good enough to sustain play at a top level for an entire game. As I said in the game thread, what does the last two weeks mean when taken in context of the last 7?

Every game we play laverde we give the opposition a free player coming out of the b50 all game

The important context will be next week.

Cough that up and that tells us everything

Yes many on here do. Go back and read the posts from the last weeks.

We did have a crack for sure but as always when the heat came on and things didn’t go our way, we folded. This is what the modern day Essendon is and has been for quite awhile now. Read stallions post, he summed it up nicely.

This is why imo people get so upset about umpiring. They believe we will win or have a really big chance in important games like tonight, hence why every umpiring decision is so vitally important to them. Yet those that know tonight was most likely going to end up like it did don’t get as worked up over trivial things like that because we will find a way to cave in another way if it isn’t umpiring.

Smug Hardwick on the presser is vomit worthy.

1 Like

I’m annoyed at myself for getting my hopes up.

8 Likes

People saying we should be happy with the effort have rocks in thier head don’t care if the effort was there no team should ever get beaten by 70 points.

1 Like

Somebody mentioned it about belly. But Fmd stewart was continuously held all night by one player for another tiger to take the mark all night. Disgraceful umpiring.

Stringers miss after his big mark in the 2nd was huge. Kick the goal there we are 6 points down with all the momentum…we saw what happens, miss, they go right down the other end and score. This then started the downhill roll coinciding with the chopsticks free kick and Caddy straight after.

7 Likes

Went as expected. Richmond were always going to shut us down, neither the players nor the coaches could see that coming and come up with another plan.

But the Stringer miss and the Martin free kick killed the game

4 Likes

Sorry to keep arguing with you but i couldn’t disagree more. It was all about tonight. If there was any chance we were going to get our season back on track it had to be tonight. Next week says very little in my opinion.

3 Likes

When the team is better than you then it happens, you have to deal with it.

3 Likes

Said it before, reckon we need to stop being a lazy, entitled club. Three good players come in and we’re talking ourselves up (looking at you X). Jesus, we never looked like winning a final last yr, so 3 new players doesn’t make us top 4 material. There is only one way to win a flag in a comp with a salary cap and that is to slowly build from within your squad, with best practice everywhere. We are in yr 2 of probably a 4 to 5 rebuild. Let’s speed it up and play, support, mentor, train hard, more guys in the vfl who physically have what it takes.

Yes Richmond are the better team but it still dosen’t excuse a putrid performance. It’s why we have been ■■■■■ for over decade people are too easily pleased.

Out coached
Out worked

Hurley should never of been brought straight back in

Apart from a 15min burst in the second we didn’t bring the required effort or pressure

Last few weeks we have been dumping guys in tackles, sitting guys on their backsides etc. Tonight hardly any of that.

Majority of our guys just didn’t handle the pressure and didn’t have the mindset to apply it.

Saad was really good

Stringer was great

Guelfi was really good

Langford was good

Umpiring was awful

11 Likes

We don’t tackle or bump with intent to hurt. Ever.

22 Likes

Maybe not by intent , but reverted back to it by nature.

The last 2 weeks the forwards stayed back more and went one on one.

Today like outside the last 2 weeks, all our forwards where within 60 meters of richmonds goal line , and they had 3 min loose players.

I have a photo later that sorta shows it, but it took til the 20th min of the last qtr for stewart or any essendon player to go near the deepest richmond player.

6 Likes

No one is pleased by that result, but let’s take things in stages. The effort was there, the skills, football nous, plan B and other parts were not. Effort is non-negotiable, it’s what we were whinging about in the first 8 weeks. Tonight we got outplayed, outcoached and outumpired (as stupid as it sounds when you lose by 70 points)

4 Likes

We need a few breaks to be in it against the top sides. Instead we cop an injury early to one of our experienced mids, miss a few gettable shots and watch a bunch of 50-50 or worse (the Hurley one was never a free ever) frees go the wrong way.

Its incredibly frustrating and angering. Richmond are a well organised team, but they have inherited the Hawthorn “glow”. The one that sees them umpired in a way that other teams can only dream of.

Am I disappointed in the way that we didn’t handle the second half? Absolutely. But mentally it’s incredibly difficult when you’re short on players and have seen the opposition be treated as they were.

Should we be able to handle it better.

Of course.

But we’re not there yet. But just because we’re not there yet doesn’t mean we can’t be both disappointed with the result and also angry at the umpiring

8 Likes