Ye Olde VFL MegaThread — August 2013 to December 2015

The conditions were not conducive to Long, Laverde and Langford having big games. The effort was there though. It was encouraging towards the end of the game to see Laverde in the stoppages and getting his hands on it, he seemed to always be hanging off the contest early and we weren't extracting it with any precision, so there was no chance of him having an impact. Long and Langford just need to be stronger and heavier to have an impact in this sort of game. Conor looked really good, he is physically ready and doesn't need to develop his skills and reading of the play much further to be able to have an impact at senior level. I quite liked Ashby's game also.

Good points - I thought Laverde was very good in the stoppages late, albeit the game was over.

McKenna looks physically ready for AFL now. He has been our most dangerous forward in all 4-5 VFL games I have watched.

I rate both of those well ahead of Langford and Long - both of whom I think are smart enough to play AFL - as being physicallyu ready to play AFL and have an impact.

If it becomes a mathematical impossibility to play finals then I would love Chapman to have a farewell game (or two), have him retire and elevate McKenna and play him in the last couple of games of the year.