Year in review - 2022

We took it to an in form pies in one of the games of the year

Our best when the boys accidentally find themselves in a real football match is enough to match teams in the top 8

Problem is our best seems to be optional from the team

We came out completely unprepared for the pace and hardness of afl footy, you saw it in our first few weeks, game was just too hard for the whole list

This was the first red flag against the coaches

We got a few players back and started playing half ■■■■, not good, just a qtr here and there, but again, effort seemed optional

Coast to coast goals were a problem for most of the year, went away when we ditched the zone and flooding our own back half helped us find our run and gun style that helped us in wins vs sydney and brisbane

Our midfield seemed to look a lot better when parish was injured

McG struggled to find any decent consistent form, had maybe 2 good games for the year

Heppell is so beyond cooked it’s not funny, the guy is so deep in denial of the team, his own and his coaches inadequacies, he’s not a great leader, not inspiring, not during games with his play, or whatever rev ups he does for the team before and after

Wright was one of the top 10 fwds in the comp with the worst delivery in the comp, our biggest positive

Langford still plays 2 good games then 5 ■■■■ ones

Riddley is playing like somebody stole his lunch money, just seems sad and disinterested

Kelly wasn’t as bad as people say, but ■■■■ me he makes dumb decisions with ball in hand in slow plays, ignores open players to kick to packs too often

Hind was great some games, completely nonevent in others, some very low iq plays at times

Phillips was great when he got games, then he was shelved because we looked competetive around the contest and can’t have that

In fact, our purple patch was when we had PHillips/Draper, it really lifted our performance and we weren’t as shaky in the air

Bryan/Reid failed to have any impact

Zerk is a revelation finally playing to his vfl form

Lav was great for the majority of the games with the occasional shocker

Dambrosio is a find, and can play forward or back and impact

Durham is raw but a player there

Martin got worse as the season went on as he learnt class, poise, skill, great decision making is not on brand with this club

Zerrett will win the b&f

Shiel was ■■■■ first half of year then was absolu tely flying till he got injured then has been pretty decent but not to his peak

Our defense, especially our backline structure, is terrible, so many over the back easy goals, so many free men especially shown in the richmond game

OVerall our team work ethic is absolutely woeful, opposition players run off our hf and slaughter us outnumbering us up the field

The biggest red flag against Rutten was the point defending from us, we 90% of the time would allow a kick to a free player on the boundary 50 out, the kicker would then run past and be the receiver, then our player on the wing would have to leave his man to cover him, sometimes we didn’t even have a man there

I don’t think I’ve seen a team leave the kick 50 out on the boundary available, then a wing kick, so often

We were notoriously bad at all our players running into the centre and guarding grass in a weird structure

This was the other red flag against rutten, our zone, is so laughably bad, teams j ust run around our players into the empty spots and get unmanned passes to them with no pressure

I’ve been watching efc play since the 80’s and i don’t think i’ve ever seen a defensive or going forward structure so counter to playing to good football, it’s like we were setting up to be the easiest team to score against going forward, and defending, which lies at the feet of Rutten.

He has to go.

4 Likes

Zerk Thatcher tries really really hard to win, it doesn’t suit the rest of the side.

1 Like

Don’t worry we will get an easy draw next season now and you can get excited by us moving up the ladder to 13th

VFL turned to AFL in 1990 - 32 years ago.

I reckon it’s been easily our joint worst season with 2006.

2020 was such a disjointed shambles of a year (due to COVID), and the shorter games and shorter season at all those random venues with limited to no crowds - it didn’t really feel like a season. Just Iike some sort of sports carnival. I don’t really count it.

1. 2006/2022
  2. 2015
  3. 2010
  4. 1997
  5. 2005

In general no.
but I find it pretty easy to believe board members were talking about the coach/Clako last week.

Same thing happened with Hird, Sheedy, Knights. You can’t expect guys to keep sticking to the plan if they’ve got second thoughts about it.

:poop::poop::poop::grinning::poop::poop::poop::poop::smiley::poop::poop::poop::poop::smile::poop::smiley::smiley::smiley::poop::smile::poop::poop::poop::bear::cry:

53 goals in a year where the ball came in like a pinball and Peter Wright needs consistency. Never change blitz

1 Like

I rate this season as a 3/10.
The team has taken major steps backwards this season and that has to be on the coach who has failed to implement a sustainable game plan. In more lucid moments we saw what they are capable of, but were knocked off balance for the entire season by not being adequately prepared for round 1. That is on the coach once again. Players looked lost and confused and too easily pulled out of position, or were placed in the wrong position to begin with.

The problems with the club are manifest, and seemingly at all levels. Whatever ails us can only be cured by a full and complete review, from top to bottom. Rutten can’t coach, and Heppell can’t lead, both must go, and they can take Campbell with them.

This is a much worse season than 2016. Instead of building on 2021, team performances have gone backwards. Yet for all that we have a decent list. Get the proper foundation in place and the team can come back and quickly from the disaster this season has been.

Wow, you are soft. I reckon 1/10 is being generous.

4 Likes

summary:

players do not get better at football after joining the essendon football club

2MP
Massimo
Menzies
Durham
Zerk
Guelfi
At times Perko
Even at times Shiel after that incident.

They were the highlights.
Everything else sucked.

Shiel had a good year. Great, other than about 3-4 weeks.

Imagine he’ll be looked at for captaincy.

Caldwell in there too, I think.

Knew I had forgotten someone. At times he was good too and had a consistent run at it after the struggles with his hammies.

I’d add Lav to that list. Imo he’s done a good job as a defender, often playing outsized.

I think it was the other way around.
■■■■ at the start, bit of something half OK in the middle, ■■■■ at the end, and if you had anything to do with our season you’re going to want to wash your hands!!!

He hasn’t stopped trying but he’s been awful.

He’s appeared in our post game votes a few times.