Year in review - 2022

I rate this season: “I’ve seen this movie before and I don’t wanna watch it again “

We are at the end of another season in what is the worst, least successful period in the clubs history.

After experiencing the same thing with Woosha, Truck initially experiences mild success, makes a declaration about teaching the team about defence and form plummets through the floor. We go through the unedifying spectacle of a team failing to compete in all facets of the game. Yeah, you have to put up with losing when you are developing a team and a game plan. But you don’t mind when the team competes and battles hard. Lacklustre displays like those served up this year shows there is something wrong. In the end I believe the onus is on the coaching group.

We had some personnel issues that did have an effect. Jones, Snelling, Cox, Langford, Stringer all missed large portions of the year, especially early. The loss of Tippa was telling.

The positives for me were 2MP who had remarkable success given how poor we were. The new boys, Martin and Mass were possibly the best thing to happen. Durham tried hard and Guelfi had a good 2nd half. But that’s about it.

I take exception when the playing group get defensive about the treatment of the coach when their own form speaks volumes about how he is regarded. If you love him so much put your bodies on the line and compete!! Honestly I don’t think I have ever seen and Essendon side that was so lacking in physicality!

Thank goodness the season is finished!!

In some ways we got what we wanted. Things got so bad that the club was forced to take action. There is a change in the board and there will be an external review. In my opinion it is in the best interest of the club to sit tight and say nothing until the review is complete. Then you go about implementing the recommendations.

I said we’d finish 15th. I thought it would be on;
•poor years from Perkins, Jones and Cox
•the loss of goals with Hookers retirement
•the reports on the way the VFL off season had been handled.

I also didn’t trust what Brasher was saying. I didn’t think we had the right people at the club. And even ignoring that, I thought the wrong decisions were being made and no one was accountable for those decisions. I figured we were looking at becoming competitive enough for entering finals by 2024.

I didn’t expect;
•what appeared to be an unwavering attitude from the coaches that players could not be dropped because the players that would replace them are worse.
•our defence to look so bad after having Rance come in and reinforce Truck’s message around defence.
•Parish and Stringer in particular to look like guys who played out of their skin in contract years and then selfish and useless defensively immediately afterward.
•the club to fall to pieces, mainly because I didn’t think anyone at the club gave enough of a ■■■■ or felt uncomfortable enough about the way the club is run, but I’m glad it’s happening.

If I’d had a gut feeling that the unexpected things would come to pass I’d have said we’re in for at least 5 more years of pain. I’d told myself that Merrett would be playing the Hodge role in a finals team, now I think he’ll be retired.

Positives:

• Unearthing Mass, Menzie, Martin and Hobbs. Hopefully we (finally) get our ■■■■ in order so we develop them properly and not Essington them. Look forward to see guys like Voss and Wanganeen more next year.

• Redman, Shiel, Wright, Caldwell, Guelfi and Draper. In a year full of insipid, cowardly performances, they have been our shining lights. Gave their all, despite their mates not supporting them.

Negatives

• Our season was over 10 minutes into the first quarter of the very first game of the season.

• Pathetic injury management. Snelling coming back in round 4, only to re-do his calf and miss another 8 weeks after just one half was enough to have the entire fitness team sacked on the spot.

• Pathetic preparation. We weren’t ready for round 1. Just like we weren’t ready for round 1, 2019. WTF do we even do in pre-season?

• Pathetic leadership. Heppell can GTFO. Merrett was great last night, but he has games where he couldn’t care less, and McGrath is terrible. We’re in a world of hurt in this area.

• Coach has lost the players. I feel horrible for Truck for the week he has endured, but his coaching this year has been disgusting. Worse than Knights. Despite what Heppell says about the players being behind Truck, it’s obvious he has lost the group.

• Our administration. Our refusal to commit to an external review after the first Sydney game cost us the greatest coach of the modern era. Brasher can get ■■■■■■. X can get ■■■■■■. All the corporate wankers on our board that are obsessed with money can get ■■■■■■. Thanks for ruining my club you ■■■■■■■ oxygen thieves.

• The lies and deception from this club. Seriously, they re-signed the CEO and wanted to HIDE IT from the supporters, and only announced it when it was leaked to the media. Why would they do this? How ■■■■■■■ dodgy do you have to be to do something like that? It’s the type of behaviour you would expect from politicians, not a farking football club.

Conclusion:

• In the wise words of a former tall defender from Craigieburn: “This club is ■■■■■■”.

We’re beyond fixing. We’ll be in the same spot in 2-3 years time, with whoever our next coach is.

4 Likes

Yeah and North beat Richmond.

Brisbane and Sydney were flat because we are so irrelevant to play against.

We are so far off Sydney (a side we were looking about level with or going past over the last 3 years as they rebuilt) its not funny.

Does anyone remember that Sydney kicked the first 5 or so goals of the game before completely switching off? The game was basically over. If theyd stayed switched on they would have won by 100.

Sydney, Freo, Collingwood.

Now they have coaches and their recruitment to compliment the coach.

Blue collar? Have a look at Sydney. They grabbed a bloke from our VFL and slotted him in as part of a rock hard defensive unit.

We have NFI

Weve got Lav playing on Lynch and Dixon. Well done to our recruiting brainiacs

1 Like

Wouldn’t be tinkering with the make-up of the club too much at all.

Tracking beautifully at the moment.

2 Likes

Yeah sorry but under 3 goals a game as a full forward doesn’t cut it.
He constantly misses marks that he should be able to clunk & shanks kicks.
He’s gotta step up tell the next coach… I’m the mean muthafucking Full forward that takes no ■■■■ from no one…I’m not a ■■■■■■■ RUCK!

5th best forward in the league goals wise, with arguably the worst service. You need to calm down

2 Likes

What are you talking about. 2MP is the best thing in the club this year. Who is knocking him? Jones however is hopeless

addendum

players that really care about their coach also didn’t play to the gameplan or try to win games of footy.

I was kinda hoping you went with rutten.

2 players averaged over 3 goals in the whole league.

1 Like

I will never forget that. Was on holiday on the Gold coast, in the surf at Coolangatta and rushed back to the hotel to watch the game in the hotel lobby. Club sucked me in again. Your right, season was over at quarter time . What a shitt show of a season.

3 Likes