Your dream location to live if you havent already moved there?

Vancouver.
Spectacular setting.
Not too hot in summer, not ridiculously cold in winter.
Whistler a couple of hours drive away.
Grouse Mountain nearby.
Windsurfing spots.
What’s not to love?
Well, except East Vancouver (which is a hellhole)

1 Like

Walk up the main street of Drouin or the Guz at night and you may re consider.

You’d want off Cambridge/Liverpool Rds heading towards Mooza. Downside is Hull Rd is like Punt Rd meets Baghdad around peak hour.

Alternatively, a few blocks of Kilsyth Sth heading towards the Basin are being opened up for housing development, and that’s pretty nice. There’s two big parks around, plus a golf course, and direct views of the hills: it’s always going to retain the semi-rural feel.

Or, if you particularly like living in a hole in the ground, Lilydale Quarry has just recently got the OK for development!

I don’t have enough phlegm to constantly pronounce Kovnhavn!

1 Like

Currently sitting in my room at my computer looking out the window at Middle Head and Clontarf (Sydney Harbour). Spectacular location right on South Head, but I would trade it all in in a heartbeat to be in my own home back in Rockingham WA.

While there are plenty of bogans in Rocky, the location itself is spectacular. 4 minutes to Kennedy Bay GC, ranked #7 public access golf course in the country and #1 in WA. Less than 8 minutes to Secret Harbour GC ranked #56, a further 8 minutes to Meadow Springs ranked #20. Less than 15 minutes to Shoalwater marine park with fairy penguins, dolphins and seals even less to one of Perth’s top windsurfing areas at Safety Bay. About 4 minutes to the beach. Hundreds of kilometres of bike paths. Two and a half hours to Margaret River (if that’s your scene). 45 minutes to Fremantle or Perth and about 20 minutes to Mandurah and it’s canals and waterfront restaurants. All costing me less than $400 a week to pay my mortgage on a 700m block with a 36 square home and a pool in the back yard. Great weather most of the year too.

If I had to choose a place overseas, the windward side of Oahu. Glorious. Just too many Americans.

2 Likes

That bad?

Nice spot. Use to live up north in Newman. ■■■■■■ hated it. Average temp near 40’s and it was dry as buggery. Being a young fella in my teens there it might be different now, but I just remember that there was nothing to do apart from hang out the local youth drop in or kick a footy on the oval which is all I ever did when I wasnt at Boarding school.

That’s the spot I was thinking.

A few very nice 5 acre blocks opened up not far from the golf course.

I did look at them, in the sense of ‘I’d love to be able to afford this’ type of looking.

I’d like to live next to green mount beach on rainbow bay just north of Coolangatta.

Every afternoon walk down to the rainbow bay surf life saving club for a beer.

Close enough to music and sport, short drive in to the hinterland and mount warning and just the most beautiful beach ever.

There’s suburban sized blocks being flogged off not far from there, other side of the road from the golf course. I generally don’t love the feel of estates but because it’s surrounded by leafiness in all directions I reckon that’d be quite nice.

1 Like

Not sure for retirement, but it’s a stellar place. It’s been a while, but I fell for Van back when I spent 7 months there in 97. It’s got a great feel to it.

Big enough but not too big, amazing scenery, gritty but not too bad (assuming East Van has IMPROVED if you’re calling it a hell hole).

Really. U think Drouin is a dangerous place at night.

The blocks of land alone are about 350-400K. Wife was keen to move back up to kilsyth/Basin but for land size plus house it’s too pricey even in the old caravan park opposite Basin Primary was just under 400K.

I know nothing about Drouin. HAP mentioned it being dangerous.