Your favourite players

Does anyone know anything about these past EFC Premiership Captains: 

• Geroge Stuckey, 1897
  • Tod Collins, 1901 
  • Dave Smith, 1911 
  • Alan Belcher, 1912 
  • Syd Barker, 1923 & 1924  - he must have been pretty good
  • Jack Clarke 1962  

Yeah, Jack Clarke was one of my heros as a kid. His brother is Ron Clarke, the olympic middle distance runner. Back when you could get into the rooms after a game, I would single out Clarkey or John Birt to have a good yarn about the game. Both great blokes and always ready to talk to the fans.

I don't know much about George Stuckey though. You'd have to ask Noonan about him.

Without giving it too much thought

Darrin Bewick

Mark Mecuri

Jame Hird

Martin Gleeson (TBC)

I also had a soft spot for Gary Moorcroft. How can you dislike a short redhead that can jump on your head, snag a decent goal and have so much attitude?

Not my number 1 favourite, in fact not even close, but gee I used to always have a soft spot for Sammy Lonergan

Anyone else see TD on the recent Open Mike session?

Thought long about this. Decided it was easier to pick 3 favourite players within periods of a decade. This way it is clear who the stand outs for me.

Late 70’s - Ken Fletcher, Paul Van Der Haar, Garry Foulds

Early 80’s - Tim Watson, Terry Daniher, Neale Daniher

Mid 80’s - Tim Watson, Paul Salmon, Roger Merrett

Late 80’s - Tim Watson, Glenn Hawker, Mark Thompson

Early 90’s - Michael Long, Derek Kickett, Gavin Wanganeen

Mid 90’s - James Hird, Mark Mercuri, Gavin Wanganeen

Late 90’s - James Hird, Mark Mercuri, Matthew Lloyd

Early 00’s - James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Dustin Fletcher

Mid 00’s - James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Dustin Fletcher

Late 00’s - Matthew Lloyd, Jobe Watson, Dustin Fletcher

Early 10’s - Jobe Watson, Dustin Fletcher, Dyson Heppell

Mark Bolton

Jarrod Atkinson

Jay Neagle

Nathan Lovett-Murray

Heath Hocking

Jason Winderlich

Dustin Fletcher

Thought long about this. Decided it was easier to pick 3 favourite players within periods of a decade. This way it is clear who the stand outs for me.
Late 70's - Ken Fletcher, Paul Van Der Haar, Garry Foulds
Early 80's - Tim Watson, Terry Daniher, Neale Daniher
Mid 80's - Tim Watson, Paul Salmon, Roger Merrett
Late 80's - Tim Watson, Glenn Hawker, Mark Thompson
Early 90's - Michael Long, Derek Kickett, Gavin Wanganeen
Mid 90's - James Hird, Mark Mercuri, Gavin Wanganeen
Late 90's - James Hird, Mark Mercuri, Matthew Lloyd
Early 00's - James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Dustin Fletcher
Mid 00's - James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Dustin Fletcher
Late 00's - Matthew Lloyd, Jobe Watson, Dustin Fletcher
Early 10's - Jobe Watson, Dustin Fletcher, Dyson Heppell

No love for Scott Lucas. That is disappointing. 

Good call / bad call. Good call CJ!
Got caught up with the love for Hird, Lloyd, Fletch. Looking back now, I would put Lucas in the late 00's top 3 favs. Take Jobe out.

I had a real like for Brad Plain when I was really young. He wasn't a superstar but he wore the long sleeves and he kicked goals. I remember he used to have this idiosyncrasy of when he took a mark, he'd bounce the ball on the way to walking back behind the mark to line up for goal! Also rated Wellman very highly, consummate professional, superb in defence for us from the late-90s onward.

I had a real like for Brad Plain when I was really young. He wasn't a superstar but he wore the long sleeves and he kicked goals. I remember he used to have this idiosyncrasy of when he took a mark, he'd bounce the ball on the way to walking back behind the mark to line up for goal! Also rated Wellman very highly, consummate professional, superb in defence for us from the late-90s onward.

Totally agree on both accounts. I don't think Plain was a popular teammate though. I got that impression when I was amongst the social club in those days. Heard a particular comment to David Grenvold by Mark Harvey which indicated as such.

Totally agree on both accounts. I don't think Plain was a popular teammate though. I got that impression when I was amongst the social club in those days. Heard a particular comment to David Grenvold by Mark Harvey which indicated as such.

I think it might've been someone in here, but I read that Sheeds tried to get Plain on the straight and narrow during '93, it worked temporarily for about 3-4 games and he had a few bags of 4-5, then he went back to being a bit of a booze-hound and he was cut from the list after we won the flag. One night apparently he had a skinful and wanted to drive home, but the club refused to let him and they locked the gates to the carpark at Windy Hill to stop him from driving out. Next morning those gates were on the ground from him breaking through them as he drove home!

I think it might've been someone in here, but I read that Sheeds tried to get Plain on the straight and narrow during '93, it worked temporarily for about 3-4 games and he had a few bags of 4-5, then he went back to being a bit of a booze-hound and he was cut from the list after we won the flag. One night apparently he had a skinful and wanted to drive home, but the club refused to let him and they locked the gates to the carpark at Windy Hill to stop him from driving out. Next morning those gates were on the ground from him breaking through them as he drove home!

I was a big Brad Plain fan too. Dad used sponsor a couple of players, including Plain.

In 93 he kicked 23 goals from 7 games. That's probably enough to win our goalkicking this year!

1 Like

As a real little kid: Salmon

By the age of 9: Olarenshaw,Long, Wanganeen

Teens: Fletcher,Hird, Rama

20’s: Hird, Fletcher,Hurley,Heppell, Ryder

Barry grinter kicking dropkicks from fullback, graham moss dominating the centre bounces, andy wilson, john cassin and graeme shultz running amock…why weren’t we better ?

Barry grinter kicking dropkicks from fullback, graham moss dominating the centre bounces, andy wilson, john cassin and graeme shultz running amock......why weren't we better ?

Nifty Nev with his lethal left foot out of the middle and not forgetting Fletch burning off opponents with his pace....that's Ken not Dustin even though it seems he's been around that long.

Tuddy sitting on a ball at the whitten oval,(I think), when he didn’t get his way. Solid citizens like john williams and pat wellington…

The seventies were great watching Essendon as a kid, pity we didn’t win many matches. But at least we weren’t St Kilda or Melbourne or Footscray or…

The seventies were great watching Essendon as a kid, pity we didn't win many matches. But at least we weren't St Kilda or Melbourne or Footscray or...............

The early 70's were OK when Tuddy took over, brought some inspiration and toughness to the club and a couple of Elimination Finals. The Bill Stephen patch was pretty painful but sowed a few seeds for Barry Davis and his whiz kids from Windy Hill, which some referred to as the Baby Bombers Mk.1.

I was a big Brad Plain fan too. Dad used sponsor a couple of players, including Plain.
In 93 he kicked 23 goals from 7 games. That's probably enough to win our goalkicking this year!

46 games, 89 goals in red and black. No recent Essendon forward would've got close to that. Did it on the bit too, if his head was screwed on he could've been some player...

Good call / bad call. Good call CJ!
Got caught up with the love for Hird, Lloyd, Fletch. Looking back now, I would put Lucas in the late 00's top 3 favs. Take Jobe out.

Lloyd did his hammie 06, I don't think he was in our top 4 contributors after that.