Your favourite players

Thought long about this. Decided it was easier to pick 3 favourite players within periods of a decade. This way it is clear who the stand outs for me.
Late 70's - Ken Fletcher, Paul Van Der Haar, Garry Foulds
Early 80's - Tim Watson, Terry Daniher, Neale Daniher
Mid 80's - Tim Watson, Paul Salmon, Roger Merrett
Late 80's - Tim Watson, Glenn Hawker, Mark Thompson
Early 90's - Michael Long, Derek Kickett, Gavin Wanganeen
Mid 90's - James Hird, Mark Mercuri, Gavin Wanganeen
Late 90's - James Hird, Mark Mercuri, Matthew Lloyd
Early 00's - James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Dustin Fletcher
Mid 00's - James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Dustin Fletcher
Late 00's - Matthew Lloyd, Jobe Watson, Dustin Fletcher
Early 10's - Jobe Watson, Dustin Fletcher, Dyson Heppell

No love for Scott Lucas. That is disappointing.
Good call / bad call. Good call CJ!
Got caught up with the love for Hird, Lloyd, Fletch. Looking back now, I would put Lucas in the late 00's top 3 favs. Take Jobe out.
Lloyd did his hammie 06, I don't think he was in our top 4 contributors after that.

Maybe so. But he came 2nd in the B & F in '08?
Still, it's about 'favourite' players, not necessarily the best contributors. Tim Watson did his knee in '86. Still a favourite player in the mid to late 80's...

Vanda!

I liked the guns (Timmy & Jimmy) and the hard workers (Denham & C Daniher) equally.  Now my favourites are harder to pin as I appreciate a few players, but this are my current faves (probably in order) Heppell, Jobe, BJ, Hooker,  Fletch (of course), Paddy and Ben Howlett.  I will post my all time favourites when I have a bit more time.

Great discussion thread too.

First was Ian Shelton, CHB in the 62 and 65 premierships. Straight ahead, hard, not a sniper.

In the 70s it was Geoff Blethyn, partly because he was our best player, partly because he was another one who just got on with the game and didn’t complain or play for frees, partly because he wore glasses like me.

Eighties I liked Simon Madden and Paul Weston. Weston wasn’t with us for long but he was a great full back; I can’t remember anybody kicking more than one goal on him (probably someone did, but it was very rare).

Nineties I liked the young James Hird playing at CHF, taking marks against much taller players and playing on while everyone else was still picking themselves up off the ground.

Late nineties and through into the noughties it was Scott Lucas, not only because he was a truly great player but because of the way he played: no bullshit, never argued with umpires, never played for frees, tough as nails but absolutely clean (he was only ever reported once and the reporting umpire dropped the charge as soon a he saw the video); I’ll still argue for Lucas as a better player than Lloyd any day of the week.

Since Lucas I haven’t really had a favourite. I suppose Hibberd and Baguley would be the closest to the straight ahead, no bullshit type of player that I like best.

My earliest favorite was Robin Close, because he kicked 5 goals in my first ever game.

He also kicked 7 one day against North when they were one of the really good teams, and we were just coming on.

I had Garry Foulds on my duffle coat growing up. Mostly because my dad knew him through junior footy, but he was a great player for us. I used to get lots of comments about what a good choice Garry Foulds was for a duffle coat.

In later years Mark Harvey was another personal favorite.

He's a mate of my brother, so that helps, but he is a good bloke, as well as being a champion footballer.

For the last 20 odd years it's been Fletch.

He went to my old school, I nearly coached him in juniors, but they swapped the U14s and U15s and I got Scott West instead.

He's just been amazing from his first season to now. This year has proven that he's good enough to go again next year, and maybe even give Tuck's record a shake the year after.

Would have to be Jackie Clarke, number 1.   Having said that, Paul Doran and Greg Brown, but Jack Clarke would be my all time favourite probably because as a kid in the sixties I saw him in the first game I went to against Fitzroy at the old Brunswick Street Oval where he got his shorts ripped off him to reveal a red pair of undies/speedo's.   I thought that was a huge joke and larffed about it all the way home with my older brother. 

I had a real like for Brad Plain when I was really young. He wasn't a superstar but he wore the long sleeves and he kicked goals. I remember he used to have this idiosyncrasy of when he took a mark, he'd bounce the ball on the way to walking back behind the mark to line up for goal! Also rated Wellman very highly, consummate professional, superb in defence for us from the late-90s onward.

Totally agree on both accounts. I don't think Plain was a popular teammate though. I got that impression when I was amongst the social club in those days. Heard a particular comment to David Grenvold by Mark Harvey which indicated as such.

I think it might've been someone in here, but I read that Sheeds tried to get Plain on the straight and narrow during '93, it worked temporarily for about 3-4 games and he had a few bags of 4-5, then he went back to being a bit of a booze-hound and he was cut from the list after we won the flag. One night apparently he had a skinful and wanted to drive home, but the club refused to let him and they locked the gates to the carpark at Windy Hill to stop him from driving out. Next morning those gates were on the ground from him breaking through them as he drove home!

I was a big Brad Plain fan too. Dad used sponsor a couple of players, including Plain.
In 93 he kicked 23 goals from 7 games. That's probably enough to win our goalkicking this year!

46 games, 89 goals in red and black. No recent Essendon forward would've got close to that. Did it on the bit too, if his head was screwed on he could've been some player...

The problem with Bradley Plain was not so much his head as his heel. He did his Achilles and it ruined him. After it he played some really good games in the wet when the heavy ground brought speeds down, but on dry days he couldn't cut it. Such a pity.

I had a real like for Brad Plain when I was really young. He wasn't a superstar but he wore the long sleeves and he kicked goals. I remember he used to have this idiosyncrasy of when he took a mark, he'd bounce the ball on the way to walking back behind the mark to line up for goal! Also rated Wellman very highly, consummate professional, superb in defence for us from the late-90s onward.

Totally agree on both accounts. I don't think Plain was a popular teammate though. I got that impression when I was amongst the social club in those days. Heard a particular comment to David Grenvold by Mark Harvey which indicated as such.

I think it might've been someone in here, but I read that Sheeds tried to get Plain on the straight and narrow during '93, it worked temporarily for about 3-4 games and he had a few bags of 4-5, then he went back to being a bit of a booze-hound and he was cut from the list after we won the flag. One night apparently he had a skinful and wanted to drive home, but the club refused to let him and they locked the gates to the carpark at Windy Hill to stop him from driving out. Next morning those gates were on the ground from him breaking through them as he drove home!

I was a big Brad Plain fan too. Dad used sponsor a couple of players, including Plain.
In 93 he kicked 23 goals from 7 games. That's probably enough to win our goalkicking this year!

46 games, 89 goals in red and black. No recent Essendon forward would've got close to that. Did it on the bit too, if his head was screwed on he could've been some player...

The problem with Bradley Plain was not so much his head as his heel. He did his Achilles and it ruined him. After it he played some really good games in the wet when the heavy ground brought speeds down, but on dry days he couldn't cut it. Such a pity.

I remember him pinging his hammy fairly regularly too.

Would have to be Jackie Clarke, number 1.   Having said that, Paul Doran and Greg Brown, but Jack Clarke would be my all time favourite probably because as a kid in the sixties I saw him in the first game I went to against Fitzroy at the old Brunswick Street Oval where he got his shorts ripped off him to reveal a red pair of undies/speedo's.   I thought that was a huge joke and larffed about it all the way home with my older brother. 

He was my first favorite player as well, because l was small and a rover just like him. He was all class and one of the fairest players of all time. l also saw him play in the first game l went to against Fitzroy at the old Brunswick Street Oval (could well have been the same match as you attended). l don't remember him losing his shorts, but l remember it was a glorious sunny day, and there were old trams trundling along the street, only 10 - 15 yards from the outer boundary. l know we won the game.   

Thought long about this. Decided it was easier to pick 3 favourite players within periods of a decade. This way it is clear who the stand outs for me.

All great players. But you left out a dual premiership player who also won 4 Crichtons. (Simon Madden) And a triple premiership player and Crichton medallist. (Mark Harvey).

But then again you left out Bomber Thompson (3 Flags, 2 B & Fs and a premiership captain. We are lucky to have had so many greats to choose from.

of favourites emanate from my first year of going to the footy were Ken Fraser, Alan Noonan, Alec Epis, John Ellis, Daryl Gerlach and Geoff Pryor.

Can anyone guess which year?

All partof the mighty Bombers.

Got the 2000 season game by game on DVD. I loved Solly and Dimma at the time but watching them again made me love them even more, the way the got the ball and then kicked it to Rama or Mercs or Caracella on the wing was just awesome. This "spreading" that you hear the commentators talk about every game was very visible in the 2000 era of our team.

All great players. But you left out a dual premiership player who also won 4 Crichtons. (Simon Madden) And a triple premiership player and Crichton medallist. (Mark Harvey).

But then again you left out Bomber Thompson (3 Flags, 2 B & Fs and a premiership captain. We are lucky to have had so many greats to choose from.

of favourites emanate from my first year of going to the footy were Ken Fraser, Alan Noonan, Alec Epis, John Ellis, Daryl Gerlach and Geoff Pryor.

Well you mentioned Alan Noonan so i'm guessing 1897???? Or isn't he the same one as the poster on here?

If they were your favourites in your first year, it would have to be 1967 or 1968, which was Fraser's last year.

I love hocking, bags, Hibberd. Guys that aren’t fancy but just get the job done. Plus legit hard nuts

I have loved Hocking since his debut game against Carlton in 07

I’m not going to lie, I always liked McPhee

sometimes I miss Jason johnson

All time fav's have to be Harvey & Bomber.

Current players Bag's & Paddy

Leon Baker

Tim Watson

Simon Madden
James Hird

Mark Mercuri

Current:
Heps

My favourite player of all time was anyone that pulled on the Red and Black and gave it a red hot go, except for Shane Harvey who doesn’t even know what I’m talking about.

1 Like

Last fave was Nick Kommer.

While there have been loads, Brad Plain was the player I modelled my game on in Under 13’s/14’s. The long sleeves, different build but similar size relatively speaking, playing in the pocket but I didn’t bare the dodgy tatt of course. The only difference was, I was a bit rubbish and for a very short time there Plain really was quite a player on his day

Brad Plain was a ripper. I always had a fondness for the scallywags forwards and those with untapped potential. Michael Werner was also a fav of mine. You weren’t sure what you’d get from him, a 5 goal game, a 5 possession game or a 5 game suspension.

1 Like