Your first game

I feel old reading the others.
V. Carlton round 17 1986 at MCG. We won by 25 points.

Young 'un ;)

1986 vs. Hawks at Waverley, we were flogged. 

I only went to Weaverly one more time and that was vs. the Dogs in about 1995, we were flogged.

I'm actually embarrassed to say this, but my first game was rd. 20, 2007. I'm only young, go easy :p

Went with two mates at the time, and sat behind the Carlton Cheer Squad. I remember we were down by about 2 goals with a couple of minutes left. And NLM kicked the long bomb, then Lovett with the sealer. 

But dw, ever since then, I've been a member till now and attend matches regularly. It's not the best when you grow up in a family that doesn't like footy. 

Moved to Melbourne as a kid in Feb.1957 and lived in Collingwood with relies. Used to go and watch Pies after 3/4 time as you didn’t have to pay. Used to pick up Sporting Globe at about 6.00pm from Newsagent in Johnson St. to get the scores for other games. If Filth got beaten you could still get Globe at 7.00pm or even the Monday. If they won you had to be there when the papers where delivered.
First Bombers match was Round 10 Vs Richmond at Punt Rd.(Easy bus ride down Hotham St/Punt Rd) all by myself as parents not interested. We got thrashed. Was already a Bombers fan but that’s another story.

Round 17, 1957. Hawthorn at Glenferrie. We were never in it and the 27 point margin probably flattered us. The loss looked to have cost us the double chance but we slaughtered Carlton at Windy Hill the following week to reclaim it.

Essendon v Melbourne 25/4/1992:

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1992/051119920425.html

Losing by a big margin all game with a pretty epic comeback in the last quarter from the boys and I've been going to games regularly ever since.

Damn Wanganeen was good.

My first game was mid-late 50's (don't remember the exact year). I was very young, and as the Bombers had an upset win over the powerful Demons, I remember shouting "Barassi has lost his braces" many times, much to my father's embarrassment.

wasn't my first game.... But the first game of major memory was the Animals Game V The 'Aints in 1978 at Moorabbin

Rd 1, 1973 at Windy Hill v Richmond. Lost by either 2 or 3 points :frowning:

1986,round 3 against Footscray at v.f.l park,we won by 8 points so i was happy to see a win but I was a shattered boy because Timmy Watson did his knee.

Either 1970 or 1971. Melbourne VS Essendon at the MCG. I remember that after an even first half, Melbourne ran away with the game in the second half. And there was a massive brawl in the third quarter on the half forward flank at the Punt Road end. And there was no pushing or shoving in the 1970's.

1990 vs Footscray at Windy Hill

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1990/050719900825.html

All I remember is that we started very ordinary then Fish turned it on after quarter time.

Remember during the early 90's we had a great reputation for coming back

wasn't my first game.... But the first game of major memory was the Animals Game V The 'Aints in 1978 at Moorabbin

Still have major dislike for the Saints ever since that game.

1 Like

Ess v Brisbane Round 9 1988.

The whole u10 team and all the dads went along.  We won by 140 points, my favourite player Salmon kicked 5 (which I thought was a bit disappointing) and everyone booed Warwick Capper ruthlessly (though he actually played ok)

Essendon V Hawthorn in 2000 at the MCG. Fletch took a massive hanger on the wing over Croad (basically all I remember of the game) was the first home and away game, first game was a pre-season game against Hawthorn in 2000 at Waverly. I have no clue what happened that game apart from Essendon won.

Against Fitzroy in the early sixties at the old Brunswick Street Oval.   Players to star that day were Jack Clarke and Paul Doran.

1 Like

Essendon V Hawthorn in 2000 at the MCG. Fletch took a massive hanger on the wing over Croad (basically all I remember of the game) was the first home and away game, first game was a pre-season game against Hawthorn in 2000 at Waverly. I have no clue what happened that game apart from Essendon won.

I remember this game, Round 4 Saturday arvo I reckon. I think Hardwick had the most optimistic shot on goal at 1/4 time with torp from too far out. The umpire asked for the ball back after the siren I think, but Dimma insisted on having a shot.

I remember this game, Round 4 Saturday arvo I reckon. I think Hardwick had the most optimistic shot on goal at 1/4 time with torp from too far out. The umpire asked for the ball back after the siren I think, but Dimma insisted on having a shot.

Yeah Saturday afternoon sounds about right. Went basically straight from Auskick to the game.

Alas my first game was at Punt road against the Tigers. My whole family  on my mothers side were all born in Richmond.

My grand father was Head trainer at Richmond,he and his 3 brothers all played for Richmond, my cousins played for Richmond.

The first song i knew was the Richmond Theme song,.

So in 1955 their was I with my Mum in the Richmond Cricket Club Grandstand.

I was  dressed in my black baseball style jacket but unlike everyone else mine had two thin Red stripes on the stretchy cuffs waist band and collar

i looked slightly out of place. I would have been the only non Richmond person in the Football Cricket Stands on that day.

As we walked through the crowd my mother  would explain to any one whos stare was to long " Its all right he goes to St Ignatius"  

This was the catholic school at the top of Church Street..After explaining this excuse to several upset Richmond people ,

I asked my Mum   "Whats St Ignatius ?" 

My Mother used to laugh every time she told that story about me being the only non Richmond Supporter in her family.

Who won? I dont remember.

Drawn 1977 match versus Richmond at Waverly (VFL Park)

I am pretty sure it was the debut game for Tim Watson and Paul van der Haar