Your first game

Drawn 1977 match versus Richmond at Waverly (VFL Park)
I am pretty sure it was the debut game for Tim Watson and Paul van der Haar

It was the debut game for Watson and for Wayne Primmer but not for Vander (his first game was a couple of weeks earlier against North).

Thanks, a good memory you have. I had forgotten about Wayne primmer :slight_smile:

Drawn 1977 match versus Richmond at Waverly (VFL Park)
I am pretty sure it was the debut game for Tim Watson and Paul van der Haar

It was the debut game for Watson and for Wayne Primmer but not for Vander (his first game was a couple of weeks earlier against North).

Also the Essendon debut for Don Mattson which was the only game he played for EFC. He got injured in the warmup and never got on the field and Tim Watson took his place in the starting eighteen after originally being named on the bench.

I love that you all remember your first game and parts of games that you have been to.

I DO NOT remember my first game at all.

I do have a memory though, that is like an instant replay, a great instant replay. Have others but not like this one.

It was in the eighties (do not remember what year) but it was the year Carlton had their 3rd quarter blitz's.

It was at Waverly, we were down a few goals at half time, everyone expecting Carlton to come out and blitz,  remember Mike Fitzpatrick in the middle going to handball, and in swoops Bryan Wood (out of nowhere), intercepts the hand pass runs down the ground and kicks and a GOAL (my brother and I went nuts, it was fantastic).

They were never in it after that, what an absolutely great win it was.

Alas my first game was at Punt road against the Tigers. My whole family on my mothers side were all born in Richmond.
My grand father was Head trainer at Richmond,he and his 3 brothers all played for Richmond, my cousins played for Richmond.
The first song i knew was the Richmond Theme song,.
So in 1955 their was I with my Mum in the Richmond Cricket Club Grandstand.
I was dressed in my black baseball style jacket but unlike everyone else mine had two thin Red stripes on the stretchy cuffs waist band and collar
i looked slightly out of place. I would have been the only non Richmond person in the Football Cricket Stands on that day.
As we walked through the crowd my mother would explain to any one whos stare was to long " Its all right he goes to St Ignatius"
This was the catholic school at the top of Church Street..After explaining this excuse to several upset Richmond people ,
I asked my Mum "Whats St Ignatius ?"
My Mother used to laugh every time she told that story about me being the only non Richmond Supporter in her family.
Who won? I dont remember.

Round one 1955 Punt Road
Richmond 9.23 77 Essendon 13.16 94
Hugh Mitchell started with 6 goals
would've been a quiet walk home...

My first was in 2002 against the 'Aints. They wore this horrid yellow clash strip, and we pumped them by 99 points.

My first VFL/AFL game was an unremarkable one at Waverley in 1986, between the blose and bullodgs I think the blose won. 

My first Essendon game was in 1992, we drove down from Mildura that day.  One of my younger brothers is a Hawks fan and Essendon was playing the Hawks.  I will set the scene a little...

It was the day Perkins won gold at Barcelona in the 1500M and it was overcast in Melbourne.  We were late and still taking our seats when I think it was Chris Daniher kicked a set shot goal from about 50 metres and I was pretty happy with that.  We took spots somewhere in the Southern Stand if I remember correctly and then we proceeded to get obliterated by 160 points.  My best players that day were Paul Hills and "Oysters" Kilpatrick.

On a side note, we came back down again on GF Day in 1993 and that same brother ran with me from the Hilton after we got dropped off just after 3/4 time to watch us flog the blose on what was probably the best day of my life just over 12 months after one of the darkest (footy wise).

Hi,

I was feeling a little nostalgic tonight for some reason, so I thought I would look up any information I could find on the first game I followed on radio (my dad didn’t take me to the football, so in my primary school years the radio broadcasts and the black and white replays were all I had).

The game was round 1, 1975. Essendon vs St Kilda at Windy Hill. I remember that Essendon kicked away in the first half and slowed down in the second half. I was 9 years old and kept a scoreboard on pen and paper as the game went on.

I found the game description on Google News archive from the Age on April 7, 1975. Its pretty short so I thought I would type it in (as the page is scanned). Its got some pretty interesting names in it, including a Robert Newton at half forward who I don’t recall at all. Here it is:

BOMBERS SHOW THER SKILLS by Mick Davis

Its been suggested in cynical football circles that Des Tuddenham’s only success at Essendon is to instil heart into some of his heartless players

But on Saturday Essendon showed they have the skill as well as the desire to match some of the top sides this year.

Inspired by the great form of lanky schoolboy Simon Madden and talented centre half-forward Robert Newton the Bombers used their speed and precision forward play to cruise away from St Kilda in the first half.

The Bombers repeatedly whisked the ball away at centre bounces to find Madden, Newton, Robin Close or Alan Noonan with clever foot passes.

Admittedly their task was made easier by the fumbling and bungling of most of the St Kilda side who let them in for several easy goals in the first half.

Although the opposition was weak Essendon looked stronger and more systematic than they did last year.

Its backline, led by Laurie Molony and Dean Hartigan, bustled the Saints all day and forced them into making mistakes.

And that’s no mean feat when the Saints attack boasts names like Barry Breen and Barry Lawrence.

St Kilda’s performance was too bad to be a true indication of their form for the rest of the season.

Allan Jean can perhaps take heart from the fact that his side saved some face with its effort in the second half.

“We made too many mistakes” Jeans said after the game

"We expected to have Essendon chasing but instead we were behind all day

“Certainly we’ve lost a lot of skilled players of the past few years but we can do better than that” Jeans added.

Tuddenham was reserved about singling out individual players for praise.

“I’m pleased to gain the four points and as far as I’m concerned 18 players contributed” he said.

Essendon certainly missed reluctant rover Andy Wilson around the packs.

Although Jim Demetriou made a reasonable debut as a rover, and Steve Beaumont battled well until he went off injured, Paul Callery and Bruce Duperouzel had their measure all day.

They were probably the Saints’ only two clear winners.

ESSENDON 7.2 16.4 16.7 21.10 (136)

ST KILDA 3.1 4.5 7.8 9.13 (67)

Goals - ESSENDON: Madden 5, Noonan 4, Close 3, Newton 2, Amos 2, Fields, Beaumont, Demetriou, Fletcher, Wellington ST KILDA: Callery 2, Breen 2, Duperouzel 2, Lawrence, Davis, Midenhall

Best - ESSENDON - Madden, Moss, Noonan, Newton, Close, Moloney, Tuddenham, Smith, Hartigan, Demetriou

ST KILDA - Callery (best on ground) Duperouzel, Davis, Reynolds, Young, Mildenhall

Umpire: M. Henry

1994 against Melbourne. We got pumped by 70 odd points. Lyon kicked 8. I think it was over by quarter time.

All I can remember is thinking that the MCG looked way smaller in real life compared to on TV and spending the last quarter scrunching the pages of the football record into a ball and throwing them at Dees fans behind their back.

1990 vs Brisbane Bears at Carrara. Was in Brisbane for U/12 state championships and my fam took me for my birthday.

Won by about 10 goals. Remember very little about the game, but did get to meet a few of the players post match including Timmy and my hero, Salmon. He was a long way up for a 12 yr old. He patted me on the head and mum reckons I didn’t wash my hair for a week…

Don't remember my first game.  

The first one I do remember is vs Collingwood at Waverley in 1990.  It was a great game and I still remember a lot about it.

O'Donnell giving Daicos at his apex an absolute bath to the point where he was moved to the midfield.  James Manson missing twice from the goal square, but then kicking one where he took the ball out of the ruck and basically kicked it over his head.  Essendon being about 4-5 goals up at 3QT, but knowing Collingwood was coming home with a gale force wind at its back.  Gavin Brown running rampant and having no one who could match up on him (signs of the second Semifinal to come).  A frantic last quarter with Essendon flooding back in numbers.  And, of course, Bomber Thompson saving the game by flinging himself full length across Gavin Crosisca's boot from 20 out in the last couple of minutes when he looked certain to kick a goal.

Great game.

The first one I do remember is vs Collingwood at Waverley in 1990. It was a great game and I still remember a lot about it.
O'Donnell giving Daicos at his apex an absolute bath to the point where he was moved to the midfield. James Manson missing twice from the goal square, but then kicking one where he took the ball out of the ruck and basically kicked it over his head. Essendon being about 4-5 goals up at 3QT, but knowing Collingwood was coming home with a gale force wind at its back. Gavin Brown running rampant and having no one who could match up on him (signs of the second Semifinal to come). A frantic last quarter with Essendon flooding back in numbers. And, of course, Bomber Thompson saving the game by flinging himself full length across Gavin Crosisca's boot from 20 out in the last couple of minutes when he looked certain to kick a goal.
Great game.

Damn windy day that one. Remember Bewick kicking a cracking running goal (I think into the hurricane). Also remember that smother by Bomber. Absolute desperation act that one. Cransberg took a couple of match saving marks in defence right at the death.
It's a shame the season ended the way it did. Sheeds rested a few blokes in R22 so that all 4 Danihers could play together. We finished on top so that meant we had the first week off in the finals. Which meant some players had a two week break (those who missed R22). Then the ■■■■■■■ drawn Qualifying Final between WCE & Pies occurred, meaning they had to replay that game the following week. Which meant some of our players had 3 weeks off. The rest is unfortunate history....

That was one of Cransberg‘s very early games, and he played much of it in the midfield. Did well, but was never asked to do so again.
Anderson beat Millane. This game and that contest were hyped through the roof (think Ess-Carl, round 20 in 2000) and those two were generally accepted to be the dominant midfielders for the year.
The ■■■■■■ umps disagreed come Brownlow time, of course.

My first game was a preseason practice match out at Waverley against the royboys. I think it was 1979/1980, but not certain. My main memory is of having a kick with a mate on the concourses and being freaked out at how big that place seemed.

My first was with dad a kangas fan so it was good for me except having to leave at 3qtr time, vs Kangas, 2nd was the comeback, total rollercoaster of emotions, remember being ■■■■■■ at dad for not wanting to leave, he ended up making the right call for me.

The first one I do remember is vs Collingwood at Waverley in 1990. It was a great game and I still remember a lot about it.
O'Donnell giving Daicos at his apex an absolute bath to the point where he was moved to the midfield. James Manson missing twice from the goal square, but then kicking one where he took the ball out of the ruck and basically kicked it over his head. Essendon being about 4-5 goals up at 3QT, but knowing Collingwood was coming home with a gale force wind at its back. Gavin Brown running rampant and having no one who could match up on him (signs of the second Semifinal to come). A frantic last quarter with Essendon flooding back in numbers. And, of course, Bomber Thompson saving the game by flinging himself full length across Gavin Crosisca's boot from 20 out in the last couple of minutes when he looked certain to kick a goal.
Great game.

Damn windy day that one. Remember Bewick kicking a cracking running goal (I think into the hurricane). Also remember that smother by Bomber. Absolute desperation act that one. Cransberg took a couple of match saving marks in defence right at the death.
It's a shame the season ended the way it did. Sheeds rested a few blokes in R22 so that all 4 Danihers could play together. We finished on top so that meant we had the first week off in the finals. Which meant some players had a two week break (those who missed R22). Then the ******* drawn Qualifying Final between WCE & Pies occurred, meaning they had to replay that game the following week. Which meant some of our players had 3 weeks off. The rest is unfortunate history....

You might also recall that Watson and Vander didn't get up for the last 2 or 3 games of the home and away. Another way of looking at it is some of those players who were deliberately rested ( I think Salmon had a break) actually went into the Semi against the filth with 4 weeks between games. Watson and Vander went into the game with an even longer unscheduled break. The whole team was out of whack and even though they beat West Coast easily the following week, it was a patchy performance.

That was one of Cransberg‘s very early games, and he played much of it in the midfield. Did well, but was never asked to do so again.
Anderson beat Millane. This game and that contest were hyped through the roof (think Ess-Carl, round 20 in 2000) and those two were generally accepted to be the dominant midfielders for the year.
The ■■■■■■ umps disagreed come Brownlow time, of course.

Liberatore is an absolute stain on the award.  Good player, but nowhere near best in the league, and one of the dirtiest ■■■■■■ of all time.

I love that you all remember your first game and parts of games that you have been to.
I DO NOT remember my first game at all.
I do have a memory though, that is like an instant replay, a great instant replay. Have others but not like this one.
It was in the eighties (do not remember what year) but it was the year Carlton had their 3rd quarter blitz's.
It was at Waverly, we were down a few goals at half time, everyone expecting Carlton to come out and blitz, remember Mike Fitzpatrick in the middle going to handball, and in swoops Bryan Wood (out of nowhere), intercepts the hand pass runs down the ground and kicks and a GOAL (my brother and I went nuts, it was fantastic).
They were never in it after that, what an absolutely great win it was.

That was the 1983 Elimination Final. We beat those scumbags the week before in R22. We had the absolute wood on them (pardon the pun).
But I remember that passage of play clearly. That was a sensational intercept by Bryan Wood. He dashed off and hit Terry Daniher lace out, who goalled. Wood tore his hamstring in the process and took no further part in the match. He didn't return until the Grand Final. The sick and sorry Grand Final.

The Dreamtime game in 2008 was my first game I went to, will never forget that night but We got smashed by Richmond!

The Dreamtime game in 2008 was my first game I went to, will never forget that night but We got smashed by Richmond!

Oooh... We got smashed badly as well. That's a shocker for a first game.