Your preference for pick 1

Get the bloke who hurts the opposition the most. A goal kicking mid is far more damaging than a defensive mid, even if he does set up a lot of the play from the HBF.

McCluggage sets up play through the middle and in attack and bags 2 or 3 goals every game. Can’t go past him IMO.

No, that is not true.
■■■■■■ me off that people take a quick, shallow view of the game. Why don’t we just have a team of forwards then, ffs?

Yes it is true! (coz I say it is)

But seriously, both types have value of course, and I dont think I was taking a quick shallow view of the game, but we need guys who can kick goals and win us games in that area of the ground.

Do you feel we have addressed this are recently with Laverde, Langford, Walla, Colyer, Fanta, and hopefully, Francis?

Not really.

I think the Clug is different to all those, he’s not the same as Francis who is more key possie player, Walla and Fanta more deeper forwards with Walla also damaging from HBF, Coyler is that speed demon who isnt that same type of mid as Clug, LAV is more the impact player and Langford isnt really a fwd / mid (imo) as much as Clug is.

Maybe a few of those descriptions are limited, but I think Clug will fit well into our mid / fwd duel role mix more so than a def mid.

I agree - Clugg offers something different - like a goal-kicking Heppell - but bear in mind we were talking about the importance of goal kickers.

My list of fast, accurate, in/out rebounding mids with a great defensive mindset goes like this:

Baguley

Then we have those we’re hopeful of:
Oirish
Morgan

I see a list imbalance.

McGrath >> McCluggage

Looking forward to the meltdown and tears based on… um… well… very little.

Get the bloke who hurts the opposition the most. A goal kicking mid is far more damaging than a defensive mid, even if he does set up a lot of the play from the HBF.

McCluggage sets up play through the middle and in attack and bags 2 or 3 goals every game. Can’t go past him IMO.

No, that is not true.
■■■■■■ me off that people take a quick, shallow view of the game. Why don’t we just have a team of forwards then, ffs?

But seriously, both types have value of course, and I dont think I was taking a quick shallow view of the game, but we need guys who can kick goals and win us games in that area of the ground.

Do you feel we have addressed this are recently with Laverde, Langford, Walla, Colyer, Fanta, and hopefully, Francis?

Not really.

I think the Clug is different to all those, he’s not the same as Francis who is more key possie player, Walla and Fanta more deeper forwards with Walla also damaging from HBF, Coyler is that speed demon who isnt that same type of mid as Clug, LAV is more the impact player and Langford isnt really a fwd / mid (imo) as much as Clug is.

Maybe a few of those descriptions are limited, but I think Clug will fit well into our mid / fwd duel role mix more so than a def mid.

I agree - Clugg offers something different - like a goal-kicking Heppell - but bear in mind we were talking about the importance of goal kickers.

My list of fast, accurate, in/out rebounding mids with a great defensive mindset goes like this:

Baguley

Oirish
Morgan

I see a list imbalance.

Fair enough, and I guess that’s what makes it such a close call between the two, but I think it boils down to who win us more games, and I think that’s the Clug.

No, that is not true.

Not really.

Baguley

Oirish
Morgan

I see a list imbalance.

Fair enough, and I guess that’s what makes it such a close call between the two, but I think it boils down to who win us more games, and I think that’s the Clug.

I won’t be upset if that’s the selection we make.
Happily take a few others instead, also, and back the team to have made the right decision.

It’s like when those annoying commentators say how important a goal was near the end of the game which puts a team in front… Yeah that Final goal was so much more important than the other 15 that the team kicked? Do you realise if the previous 15 weren’t kicked then the team wouldn’t have even had the chance to win…

You are not alone

It’s like when those annoying commentators say how important a goal was near the end of the game which puts a team in front… Yeah that Final goal was so much more important than the other 15 that the team kicked? Do you realise if the previous 15 weren’t kicked then the team wouldn’t have even had the chance to win…

You are not alone

I guess it depends on how you define important.

All this is telling me is we need to get two to ten picks and pick up a combo of Brodie, SPS, Toranto and Ainsworth.

You are not alone

You should be.

If a guy kicks a goal that puts you 2 or 3 up late in the game, that puts added pressure on the opposition.

Ditto if you kick the goal that puts you within one or two, it just changes the game.

How many times this year did we fail to kick that critical goal…

Can anyone help me with helping choose a player who best meets the following criteria, which I think are our areas of need?

I am having picking the number 1 player yips, and want to be convinced, and I’m not happy to rely on the journos, hopefully it will be on what you’ve seen (I’ve seen bugger all).

Wanting a player who can make the transition from HBF to Elite AFL midfielder who has:

1. Line breaking speed
  2. Elite hand and foot skills
  3. A good football brain
  4. Capable working hard enough to develop midfielder edurance
  5. Can switch from a defensive to attacking mindset and skillset.
  6. Has good strength and tikker.
  7. Has a sound body

As ambitious as these things sound, we have 3 players who were all on the rookie list this year who have the potential to meet those criteria if they can develop one or two areas of their game in the next year or two, and there still are another couple on the list who we expect to develop these also.

The other question that has to be answered :

Is the player who best meets the above criteria close enough to being the best player available to justify being used for the number 1 draft pick?

The Blitz dilemma is that whoever we take at number 1, if anyone else is clearly better (which usually happens) they will be a player we could have picked up (short of being an academy player).

The real positive is, that not only has Jackets being nailing his early picks lately (if he hadn’t how much crap would we be in - given draft penaties and the draft restrictions for GWS and GCS). Even our rookie picks have been bearing fruit - the 3 I referred to above were Walla, McKenna and Long.

The pressure of the top pick for the player and the team is new to us, so I think the surest bet is probably our most likely pick, even if they are more attacking midfielder, despite our need for defensive skills and pace.

McCluggage does things no one else at his level can do - nor has done in the TAC history.

Don’t worry about size - Hird wasn’t big.

To me McCluggage does the things that James did: get the ball from impossible positions, and make plays that no-one else could.

We would be mad not to get him.

Whether with #1 or even better with a trade that gives us #3 and another gun.

What? Yes he was, Hird was a utility that could play tall and small and in the modern game would be the definition of a big bodied mid.

I know how James Hird could play!

But why are you quibbling?

James Hird is 189 cm.

McCluggage is 185 cm and hasn’t stopped growing yet! My point is that Hird was not that much bigger (and McC may end up same height) but no-one thought Hird’s height would be a liability.

We aren’t going to get Clug are we? watch Brisbane swoop on Clug and become a superstar while we sit here wondering “Should have been an Essendon player”

I’m certainly not arguing 184 is too small, but there’s been a lot of height inflation in the 26 years since Hird was drafted. Hird was initially a KPP, and taller than the likes of Dunstall and Ablett.

We aren't going to get Clug are we? watch Brisbane swoop on Clug and become a superstar while we sit here wondering "Should have been an Essendon player"
When McGrath starts to carve the competition up and become a future captain I'm sure you won't worry so much haha seriously if McCluggage becomes the best player from the draft and we don't take him it won't be so bad since I believe McGrath will be a 200+ gamer and I can guarantee our supporters would talk him up like we do with Zerrett. Honestly don't think we can get pick 1 wrong here either one would be good
Can anyone help me with helping choose a player who best meets the following criteria, which I think are our areas of need?

I am having picking the number 1 player yips, and want to be convinced, and I’m not happy to rely on the journos, hopefully it will be on what you’ve seen (I’ve seen bugger all).

Wanting a player who can make the transition from HBF to Elite AFL midfielder who has:

1. Line breaking speed
3. A good football brain
7. Has a sound body

As ambitious as these things sound, we have 3 players who were all on the rookie list this year who have the potential to meet those criteria if they can develop one or two areas of their game in the next year or two, and there still are another couple on the list who we expect to develop these also.

Is the player who best meets the above criteria close enough to being the best player available to justify being used for the number 1 draft pick?

The Blitz dilemma is that whoever we take at number 1, if anyone else is clearly better (which usually happens) they will be a player we could have picked up (short of being an academy player).

The real positive is, that not only has Jackets being nailing his early picks lately (if he hadn’t how much crap would we be in - given draft penaties and the draft restrictions for GWS and GCS). Even our rookie picks have been bearing fruit - the 3 I referred to above were Walla, McKenna and Long.

The pressure of the top pick for the player and the team is new to us, so I think the surest bet is probably our most likely pick, even if they are more attacking midfielder, despite our need for defensive skills and pace.

literally describes McGrath

This discussion is all academic. You know Jackets will pick someone from left-field, sending Blitz into meltdown. Jackets’s pick will eventually prove to be inspired.

We aren't going to get Clug are we? watch Brisbane swoop on Clug and become a superstar while we sit here wondering "Should have been an Essendon player"
When McGrath starts to carve the competition up and become a future captain I'm sure you won't worry so much haha seriously if McCluggage becomes the best game player from the draft and we don't take him it won't be so bad since I believe McGrath will be a 200+ gamer and I can guarantee our supporters would talk him up like we do with Zerrett. Honestly don't think we can get pick 1 wrong here either one would be good

Don’t get me wrong Mcgrath would be a good player I just feel he’s not what we need.

Mcclug is a mid/fwd that can win the ball and kick goals some we lack.

1. Line breaking speed
3. A good football brain
7. Has a sound body

literally describes McGrath

You reckon?
hahahahahaha…

When McGrath starts to carve the competition up and become a future captain I'm sure you won't worry so much haha seriously if McCluggage becomes the best game player from the draft and we don't take him it won't be so bad since I believe McGrath will be a 200+ gamer and I can guarantee our supporters would talk him up like we do with Zerrett. Honestly don't think we can get pick 1 wrong here either one would be good

Don’t get me wrong Mcgrath would be a good player I just feel he’s not what we need.

Here’s the thing. Should we pick McClugg, what will his role be? Who will he be competing with for a list spot?

Here’s the thing. Should we pick McClugg, what will his role be? Who will he be competing with for a list spot?

In/outside mid who’s good in traffic and knows how to kick goals.

He would be getting games ahead of Bird.