Your two favourite games

Well, part of reclaiming our history.

For me, #1 is hands down, without a shadow of a doubt:

1993 Prelim. Have watched it so many times I can do the commentary of the entire second half.

Second is 1993 game v Geelong, only just in front of the QF v North in 2000.

Obviously this is excluding GFs, though I'd still rate the 1993 prelim above any GF I have seen (either live or on tape) except 1984.

The 2000qf against North was the absolute best I have ever seen Essendon play and will never forget that game. Lloydy kicking his 100th in the same game capped it off beautifully and at that time I was pretty confident the flag was ours after a tiny slump the previous two weeks.

For some reason the centenary game against Geelong is always my "go to" whenever the topic is raised too. Boris had an absolute blinder and it was his first game back for a year or so after a knee reco if I'm not mistaken?

1984 Grand Final will always be the ultimate for me....first GF I attended (and only one that we won)

The previous week against Collingwood was also pretty special...watching all the pies supporters streaming from the ground at half time and hearing the announcement over the PA asking for all the bus drivers to return to their buses (to take the rabble back to their slums)

1999 V North Round 17. Just a brilliant game of football. Lloyd with 7, Carey 10 and both staked a claim for best goal ever.
I also really loved the 98 comeback against Carlton with the Mercuri/Silvagni/Rice/Lucas goal.

Not sure if they are my two all time favourite,  but as a pair they're pretty tough to beat.

2001,  round 22 we played Richmond.  We were already a game and too much percentage clear on top of the ladder so had nothing to play for.  Richmond had to win to make 4th spot.

I went to the first game at the 'G.   Sheeds was genius.   Put everyone in their standard positions, and made next to no tactical moves for the whole day.   Richmond,  in a tough contest, shaded us pretty much all day.  Their fans were joyous,  and the raucus chorus of their them song echoing around the e4xit ramps of the MCG that had not been louder,  more jubilant or more joyful since the preliminary final in 1982. 

The tigers faithful in making 4th spot had booked a return match the next week in the qualifying final against us.   Their supporters left the ground that day certain that they were in with a chance.

I left the ground that certain that they had no idea what was going to hit them the following week.

The following week I showed up again.  Surrounded by many Richmond supporters, confident that they were going to win straight through to the prelims.  Then they saw their talismanic titan Richo being manned up by a youngster that they didn't really know.  Looking furtively through their programs they learned his name was Dean Solomon.   Richo had 10cm and 15kg on this guy!  They nudged each other, chortling in anticipation at Richo's impending 10 goal haul.

At the end of the day, Richo had been soundly thrashed,  and so had the tigers.   Sheedy had been masterful,   outpointing and outcoaching Danny Frawley in every facet of the game.

I had an entire week of delicious anticipation about that preliminary final.   Knowing what they had, knowing that they had no idea what they were facing.  And knowing that we were just going to destroy them.

It was a fantastic pair of games to watch.

1984 Grand Final (like Swoodley was my first GF) and 'simply the best'.

2009 Anzac day match.

1993 Round 6 : Essendon - Geelong - Ablett 13 goals and Salmon 10. Great Saturday afternoon game. We still won the match. 

2001 Round 16: Essendon vs North Melbourne : Greatest AFL game ever played. Broke a lot of records. Epic. Game may as well be directed by movie maker Peter Jackson for a big budget movie. The world changed less than a month after this game occurred. Neither team have been the same since.

Of the games that I've been to live, the 1999 game vs Kangaroos and 2000 QF also vs Kangaroos are my two favorites.

The 99 game was just a brilliant game, had everything you could want in a game. Lloyd kicking 7, Carey kicking 10 (and they still lost!!!), a small dust-up, great goals, high-scoring. This game was about standing up to Carey and the Roos and showing them that we were a serious contender.

The 2000 QF was about making a statement that nothing was going to stop us from winning the Premiership that year. Obliterating the reigning premiers by 125 points?? They should have just handed the flag over that day.

- The James Hird "hug" game.

- The first Carlton game of 2009, which was my last one before I moved back to the U.S. I kissed the concrete floor of the M2 standing area at the siren.

carlton 09 was an awesome win. Lloyd dominated.

Port 2004- Lloyd smashed cornes, whole team took the soon to be premiers apart.

2003 v.s Lions. I was the most pumped I have ever been for a game. When Lloyd kicked the first goal i went ballistic, waving arms everywhere. My Dad who was with me just looked at me- shook his head with a smile on his face ( he is a blues supporter)

I find it hard to get down to 2 but have narrowed it down to three. I could easily have said the 84,85,93 and 2000 Premiership wins as they were all special but my three favourite games were:

1984 Prelim. Smashing the Filth by 22 goals was and always is a fantastic feeling. 

1984 GF win......the first Essendon Premiership in my lifetime (discounting '65 when I was one year old). 

2001 Comeback game vs North Melb. Pure mental strength by the playing personnel.

1984 Grand Final. The euphoria in the last quarter when we realised we were going to win after it seemed to be another lost cause was something I'll never forget. Went back to Windy Hill and re-enacted the game with about a dozen mates using a sod of turf for a footy. Didn't sleep for 30 hours.

Second would be the '93 GF, again because it was somewhat unexpected but moreso because we beat that self entitled Scum.

84 GF that last quarter was magic as the angst of the past decade evolved into a primal roar of ultimate satisfaction.

And 2000 GF- never in doubt.  Whole day was a celebration of the best season by any team ever.

1984 g/f easily ,when paul weston kicked a goal in the last quarter was a great feeling

was in standing room where nobby punched the ball over the line  in the last quarter.

1993 g/f was very confident before the game ,seated with my family sat behind geraldine sheedy gave her ears a good workout just a great day.

'84 GF. Went over to the Cricketer's after the game with two mates, thinking we'd have a massive night but we were just emotionally wrung out and faltered by about 8pm. Weird.

Graham Moss kicking five (?) against the Dees at the 'G. Must have been '77. Five seconds ahead of the rest of the pack. My favourite player ever.

'84 GF. Went over to the Cricketer's after the game with two mates, thinking we'd have a massive night but we were just emotionally wrung out and faltered by about 8pm. Weird.

Graham Moss kicking five (?) against the Dees at the 'G. Must have been '77. Five seconds ahead of the rest of the pack. My favourite player ever.

Moss only played 73-76 I think.

Moss only played 73-76 I think.

Yes, you're right AN, so it must have been '76 when he was in Brownlow winning form. Coincidentally, this weekend he was voted the greatest  ever Claremont player and was in the local paper handballing a footy (left handed, of course) to a few old team mates.

As said

Comeback game 2001 - history for all the right reasons

"Good luck to the producer who has to prepare the highlights package for this game" - A. Hudson, Ch 7

Anzac 2009 - a young bomber fan-come-player living his boyhood dream and producing one of the most exciting games in along time

"Back of the pack to Winderlich, hands to Lovett-Murray, its a mark... to Zaharakis... has kicked a goal... the Bombers are in front at the G"

"Stack the back line Walls"

"...from a never say die Essendon (siren) They've won, the Bombers have won... and Collingwood left to wonder how it come to this"

- S. Quartermaine, L. Darcy, T. Lane, Ch 10

Yeah I've watched the games too many times

The comeback game especially... then I am feeling sad or need some inspiration, I turn on that game and watch the whole thing - yep, even the first quarter, as its important in the context of the game. Nothing has ever personified determination, willingness, true grit and excitement like that game. Nothing.

1999 V North Round 17. Just a brilliant game of football. Lloyd with 7, Carey 10 and both staked a claim for best goal ever.
I also really loved the 98 comeback against Carlton with the Mercuri/Silvagni/Rice/Lucas goal.

Skipped work to go to this one...will never forget it...Carey was unstoppable..a left foot banana from the pocket! lloyd kicking one on the hop with outside of his left boot...two great forwards going goal for goal...so much feeling in the match...so good

84 GF & Neale Daniher game against the Bloos in 1981