#12 Mark Baguley

Looking forward to Bags taking out the Most Improved Player award at next year’s Crichton.

21 Likes

I personally find it annoying that we are wasting a rookie spot on a 31 year old. He’s either good enough to be on the main list at 31 or he’s not.

1 Like

With the way the rookie list works these days, you simply can’t look at it this way.
They may as well merge the rookie list with the main list I reckon because there seems no point to them being separate.

Anyway, the advantage to putting him on the rookie list instead of the main list, is that we can pick our last youngster in the main draft instead of the rookie draft, therefore potentially getting a better one.

6 Likes

We still only have 3 picks at the Draft.
Unless we plan to take a delisted Free Agent or go to the PSD… I’m assuming we will forfeit a senior list spot for an extra rookie selection.

How do you mean only 3? We’ve got as many as we choose to use… 2nd round / 4th / 5th / 6th / 7th etc etc.

2 Likes

I don’t know why people are getting upset about this.

Surely it’s the other way around and its important not to waste a primary list spot which is more valuable.

We are far more likely to get a better player from selecting in the main draft than the rookie draft.

They think Baguley is still worth value keeping for a year, rookie list it is, and there is no exclusions on him just being picked whenever they need now either.

If for example Neagle who we might be keen on gets bid on late in ND and we have no primary list spots left we can’t take him is the way I see it.

This way we can take him and keep Baguley

7 Likes

Edit: Yeah.

Assuming McNernan is elevated to the main list (and no further list changes), we can still add 1 to 3 to the main list and 3 to 1 to the rookie list (4 players in total) and 1 Rookie B.

I think.

Think he means available primary list spots

Can’t just keep taking players if no list spots

1 Like

With the changes in the rookie list it’s a sensible list management decision, upgrades a rookie selection to a late pick in the draft which it means we don’t have to hope that the player we want slips through 10 other clubs selecting before us in the rookie draft.

It’s possible that they can grab Hind a little earlier by freeing up an extra main list spot.

I’m hopeful anyway.

Not sure why we even have a rookie list any more. If it’s all one list baguley is signed up and no need to be going through a heap of paperwork and unnecessary angst.

Smart decision by the club though. I suspect we want to rookie either fletcher and or neagle but are concerned other clubs may nab them late in the draft.

3 Likes

Smart list management move by the Club but something is wrong with the rules if you can put a veteran on a rookie list.

1 Like

Have they actually put mark Baguley on the rookie list? Officially?

Just out of interest, who replaces him?

He was clearly best 22 the whole second half of last year. What’s changed?

2 Likes

I completely agree. They’ve had a lot of our games on Fox Footy today and Baguley’s presence in the forward line was immense. Creating goals and scoring goals himself. He’s a saga victim too. It shows shocking disrespect to rookie him.

He can be like me this year.
Oldest player in the side we fielded and was my first senior game since ‘09 lol

He’s not one of the 34

I thought he was, but whether he was or not, he deserves better than a rookie spot.

2 Likes

Normally, yes, but with the change to rookie rules, it’s far less of an issue now.

It’s just a bit of reshuffling for the draft. Sure, he’ll take a pay hit, but he was probably going to anyway.