#12 Mark Baguley

Glad he’s still hanging in there. Does being rookied mean he can’t play until a long term injury with upgrade?

Ironically Mark was a rookie during the “experimental” times and as such did not take part in the program.

Better a rookie spot than to be delisted. He is a real terrier, he will return and is good value to the team.

1 Like

No, he can play whenever

3 Likes

It’s a pity about the pay cut. Also, I find it a bit weird that the Club’s website does not seem to cover this bit of news. If I had the energy, I might have started a crowd funding thingy to top up his pay.

1 Like

There might not be that big of a difference in base salary, it’ll be match payments that will see him lose miss the most cash, assuming he loses his best 22 spot.

Heaven only knows why anyone would assume that. Having recently watched a number of our 2018 games I would say that from the time he was moved forward he was our most effective small forward, ahead of both Tippa and Fanta based on consistency and value of his contributions. He didn’t just kick quite a few goals, he made a lot.

15 Likes

Yet funnily enough I thought I read that he was tracking in our top 10 B&F as of round 19, so he must have dropped off towards the end, but clearly best 22.

Glad we’ve kept him, but like many others I kind of get the urge to play some shiny young player in his fwd position e.g. Laverde who kicked 3 goals in a quarter against Port.

He definitely bleeds red and black so I think this is a good compromise as it’s a 1 year contract and probably signals that he can expect to play a few VFL games and help Hocking out with the younger kids.

Wouldn’t be the first back pocket to go on and be a good coach and I’m glad he’ll be available for senior selection as he adds a lot but goes largely unnoticed.

2 Likes

Are there seperate pay scales for rookies and main list players?
Can a rookie be paid as much as a player on the main list?

from players’ CBA. There’s a difference in minimum wages= between rookies and base wage players and 1st round draft picks etc. But that’s the minimum. But I’m not sure how rookie contracts are handled.

1 Like

You may also recall we dropped Neagle to the rookie list but continued paying him those fat senior paycheques.

1 Like

I appreciate the information, but minimums don’t really answer my question.

Will rookies be guaranteed $80K (plus super) in 2019?

1 Like

I guess I’m asking because of the Long/Baguley thing.
Can you not put a senior player on a one year contract?
It doesn’t make sense/seem fair to me.

It’s an AFL-approved (so far) draft dodge. Don’t think they fully considered the implications of allowing rookies to play seniors at any time.

Yes, senior players can be on one year contracts.

I actually do have faith that the club are sorting out the list the way they need to.
It just seems harsh, given his performance last season.

1 Like

You can put a senior player on a one year contract. You can pay a rookie as much as you want, and it makes effectively no difference to the salary cap. The minimums are lower, but you could pay a rookie a million dollars a year if you wanted to. The only reason I think exists to do it in Baguley’s case is to give us pick 80 something in the main draft instead of pick 50 something in the rookie draft to use on a new player.

I don’t know how it’s perceived by players, but from my perspective it’s not reflective of him as a player except maybe to say he’s one we could safely do it to without another club trying to snag him. Which is about age as much as anything else.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting one

Does he have to get delisted first and go through the drafts and get through to us in rookie draft?

Or can we just offer him a rookie contract now instead and it automatically happens?

Gets delisted.

Enters draft, and hopes nobody else selects him.

We pick him up in rookie draft.

Some risks, but a reasonably safe move. Be staggered if Baguley was concerned at all about it.

Instant draft pick elevation.

Poor word selection when discussing Jay. Or appropriate, depending on how you look at it…

2 Likes