#12 Mark Baguley

But as a rookie, doesn’t Bags have to be elevated to the seniors to play AFL? And that requires a Long Term Injury or a delisting to occur.

Yes? Or has a rule changed happened that I can’t find on the web?

Sorry, but regardless of economics, tactics and all the rest, I think it shows massive disrespect to a player who has earned more respect than most.

5 Likes

LTI only relates to Category B rookies now. Any Cat A rookies can be played at any time.

1 Like

I do too.

Thanks.

Do you accept that through communication the move could have been planned and implemented with respect.

Surely players aren’t naive to the benefits to the club if they get to move up the draft.

I can easily see a scenario where Baguley fully understands and supports this move. Heck, I can see a scenario where players encourage it, because they want to be a part of a stronger list.

4 Likes

Possible…but you’d be a big aggrieved if say McNiece got promoted while Bags got rookied. If it gives you an extra draft pick, yeah, maybe.

I’d be a bit peed off if say Long got kept and Bags got demoted.

1 Like

Not if Bags was still getting paid 100k more than Long. I’d be peed off if he got delisted, and Long was kept. But this is not that. It’s just shuffling a list structure that is now completely irrelevant, in order to move up the draft.

It’s effectively a loophole, and well done to the club if they choose to exploit the AFLs extremely poor decision making.

Edit: worth noting the only way this fails is if some other club drafts Baguley. However clubs generally keep their hands off in these sort of circumstances. There must be some sort of unwritten truce.

How do we move up the draft? Don’t we just get an extra pick in the next round after our last pick?

No guarantees as the list structure isn’t finalised. But the thinking is that you now get a late pick in the national draft rather than a late pick in the rookie draft.

2 Likes

I was worried my obvious trolling would not be called out there, for a bit…

1 Like

Surely he should be grateful that he gets to continue his career with the club

Oh. Yeah fair enough. I assume that’s why we did it, to grab either a DFA or a guy we think might go earlier than rookie (father son perhaps?). But to be honest pick 80+ vs rookie range would have about the same odds of making it so I wouldn’t really call it an “earlier pick” so much as a extra main list position.

It is literally an earlier pick
Why wouldn’t you call it that?

1 Like

Because they are different drafts, so I kind of think of them as separate and wouldn’t phrase it that way. But yes, you are correct.

Bags has given good service to the club and is still playing good footy. Does he need to be any more grateful than the next player?

3 Likes

Actually you’ve got it 100% back to front. The club should be ■■■■■■ grateful that he wants to play on. His form last year was outstanding; I watched the final game against Port recently and as well as scoring a goal himself when we needed it he created at least two more with his pressure on opponents. Some idiots on this site post as if he was on his last legs and barely worthy of selection. The truth is he was one of the most valuable players in the team, and we are incredibly lucky that he’ll be available next year.

22 Likes

I think the majority here have him best 22.

If everyone is fit and available he isn’t best 22. Good solid depth though

2 Likes
4 Likes