#12 Mark Baguley

Looks like he belongs.

Anyone else see when he was running towards the wing to get the loose ball, pumping those arms, overtook someone else who was 50% quicker than him but wanted it less. Fkg love him.

Remember when he couldn't kick, too?

Anyone else notice that his speed has increased a LOT from last year?
Hit targets, was strong and blanketed his opponent. Perfect small defender.

I agree, I wasn't really looking at technique but he is definately quicker. Not just read the play / ball better but actually quicker over 30m than last year. Another player that opposition fans have no idea about.

good to see him getting on the end of few when forward of centre and delivering into 50 against the blues. Important for him to ad that to his game and he does deliver it very nicely. His kicking is technically sounder than hibberd, who likes to kick across his body, and demps, who is a bit chippy and floaty when going short.

while we are talking about kicking, i'm a hooker fan from way back but fark me if his kicking hasn't improved out of sight over the last couple of years. seems perfectly comfortable knocking out low spearing 50m drop punts onto **** these days. hurely is no slouch on either foot and then of course there is fletch. really stacking the backline with some skills now.

I like technically sound kicking too, but you have to be careful. Suckling's action is technically unsound, breaks all the rules but it works for him - his leg-swing is totally across the line - more like a golf swing than a kick! One thing I'm not so mad about is Bags' drop starts with the ball flat and then he tips it over. A lot of players do it, Bags more than most - but he's obviously practised it and it works for him. But you wouldn't teach a kid that - Lindsay Gilbee certainly wouldn't advocate it, anyways.

On non-sound techniques, Joey D seems to have Caught Jobe's stutter and ball flipping in his run-up! So long as they go in, I guess.

Does he remind anyone else of Chris Johnson?

good to see him getting on the end of few when forward of centre and delivering into 50 against the blues. Important for him to ad that to his game and he does deliver it very nicely. His kicking is technically sounder than hibberd, who likes to kick across his body, and demps, who is a bit chippy and floaty when going short.
while we are talking about kicking, i'm a hooker fan from way back but fark me if his kicking hasn't improved out of sight over the last couple of years. seems perfectly comfortable knocking out low spearing 50m drop punts onto **** these days. hurely is no slouch on either foot and then of course there is fletch. really stacking the backline with some skills now.

I like technically sound kicking too, but you have to be careful. Suckling's action is technically unsound, breaks all the rules but it works for him - his leg-swing is totally across the line - more like a golf swing than a kick! One thing I'm not so mad about is Bags' drop starts with the ball flat and then he tips it over. A lot of players do it, Bags more than most - but he's obviously practised it and it works for him. But you wouldn't teach a kid that - Lindsay Gilbee certainly wouldn't advocate it, anyways.
On non-sound techniques, Joey D seems to have Caught Jobe's stutter and ball flipping in his run-up! So long as they go in, I guess.

Suckling kicks it beautifully when he has time and space but if you can cramp him for room he is prone to shanking. Same with melk.
Hadn't noticed the ball drop issue. I'll have another look.

Love this boy. Doesn't get goals kicked on him and has really cleaned up his disposal over the last 18 months. He is now one of our first picked defenders.

I like technically sound kicking too, but you have to be careful. Suckling's action is technically unsound, breaks all the rules but it works for him - his leg-swing is totally across the line - more like a golf swing than a kick! One thing I'm not so mad about is Bags' drop starts with the ball flat and then he tips it over. A lot of players do it, Bags more than most - but he's obviously practised it and it works for him. But you wouldn't teach a kid that - Lindsay Gilbee certainly wouldn't advocate it, anyways.

Suckling kicks it beautifully when he has time and space but if you can cramp him for room he is prone to shanking. Same with melk.

It's not an "issue", as he's very consistent, and as I say a lot of players do it - Cyril does. Buddy does but also brings the ball way up high, which is probably why he's a little inconsistent. I only noticed because I slow-mo'd the bit where he passes in to the fwd line and my son - who I've been on at about his ball drop - noticed it.

FWIW have a look below at Gilbee at about 2.40 in this (great for kids). Now that is an exaggerated "quiet" drop (ball never gets above hip height and is pretty much perfectly vertical throughout), but it's what he teaches. I recently did a level 1 course for coacjhing juniors and Gilbee was there and spent an hour on the oval talking about kicking and showing us drills for kids to practice. The whole hour was about how to drop the ball properly. Nothing else. Had to ask a q about leg swing and he wasn't much concerned about it - for him the key is the drop. He did say, once a player has a grooved action and so long as it works, don't change it, and that you pretty much can't change the basic action after 15 yrs (as a general rule).

The most interesting thing he said was about trying to hit the ball closer to the middle than the point for max distance. Just enough spin to stay stable in the air.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=afl+how+to+kick+youtube&docid=608019613756887026&mid=4693DBD48C2FA50B9D7C4693DBD48C2FA50B9D7C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE7#view=detail&mid=2D6F6B1E86AFE4F29B8B2D6F6B1E86AFE4F29B8B

It's not an "issue", as he's very consistent, and as I say a lot of players do it - Cyril does. Buddy does but also brings the ball way up high, which is probably why he's a little inconsistent. I only noticed because I slow-mo'd the bit where he passes in to the fwd line and my son - who I've been on at about his ball drop - noticed it.

FWIW have a look below at Gilbee at about 2.40 in this (great for kids). Now that is an exaggerated "quiet" drop (ball never gets above hip height and is pretty much perfectly vertical throughout), but it's what he teaches. I recently did a level 1 course for coacjhing juniors and Gilbee was there and spent an hour on the oval talking about kicking and showing us drills for kids to practice. The whole hour was about how to drop the ball properly. Nothing else. Had to ask a q about leg swing and he wasn't much concerned about it - for him the key is the drop. He did say, once a player has a grooved action and so long as it works, don't change it, and that you pretty much can't change the basic action after 15 yrs (as a general rule).

The most interesting thing he said was about trying to hit the ball closer to the middle than the point for max distance. Just enough spin to stay stable in the air.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=afl+how+to+kick+youtube&docid=608019613756887026&mid=4693DBD48C2FA50B9D7C4693DBD48C2FA50B9D7C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE7#view=detail&mid=2D6F6B1E86AFE4F29B8B2D6F6B1E86AFE4F29B8B

great link that, thanks

One page of this thread has more actual footy analysis than you’re likely to get in a year’s worth of C7

One page of this thread has more actual footy analysis than you're likely to get in a year's worth of C7

And more accurate stories than a year's subscription to any Fairfax print medium. 

...and more informed technical input and expert commentary *

*allegedly

Bing?  Ugh.

I love this guy. I dont think he gets enough credit for how tough and fearless he actually is. especially in rounds 1 and 2 this year time and time again running back with the flight body on the line.

I love the bloke hope he takes Ballantyne this week because he will smash him

Hard as nails is Bags, will stand in front of anyone to get the mark/spoil/fills space.

If we haven’t quite hit our straps as a team this year it certainly isn’t the fault of Baguley.

Just continue to be so impressed by everything he does

Never shirks a contest, runs harder for longer than just about anybody on our team and week after week keeps his opponent quiet (and is only getting better)

The media haven’t picked up on it yet but I think we have one of the best small defenders in the comp.

is one tough unit!

Love it. Him, Hibbard and Dempsey make one great rebounding uni. 

Tough as nails.

He's also tough how he doesn't get sucked in by the opposition mouthing off. He kind of gives them a "are you kidding me, you really are going to mouth off here are you ■■■■ face" kind of look and then just hammers them legally and in a controlled, hard manner in the next contest.

Dempsey take note.

I'd be scared if I saw him running backwards.

Balls of steel.

Hes really well composed, that gws kid tried to give it to him and bags just laughed it off. Shows a lot about his character!