#12 Mark Baguley

Coach has seen enough of what Bags offers and wants to make sure he’s good to go next year. Also lets us try out a couple more young guns.

Essendon defender Mark Baguley will be placed on the long term injury list.
The Bombers Vice-Captain has been sidelined since round 11 because of knee complaint.
After consultations with his surgeon, it was decided the best course of action was for the 29 year old to sit out the remainder of the season.
No decision has been reached on if or when a rookie will be upgraded.
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Conor McKenna and Will Hams have played senior football this season after being upgraded from the rookie list.
Fellow rookies Jake Long, Tom Wallis and Gach Nyuon are playing in the VFL.

Now lets seen Longy have a game this year…

So he's done for the year? Been waiting for an update.

Just drove through downtown Franga and saw a funeral procession. The last two digits on the hearse number plate were 12.

Coincidence? I think not.

So you heard is straight from the hearses mouth?

So he's done for the year? Been waiting for an update.

Just drove through downtown Franga and saw a funeral procession. The last two digits on the hearse number plate were 12.

Coincidence? I think not.

So you heard is straight from the hearses mouth?

LOL I read that as “horses” and thought missed opportunity it should have been “hearses”.

Baggers on Bomber Radio. What a legend. So grounded and such a nice guy, as well as being one of the most courageous players over the last few years. Sorry we did not see more of him this year, especially tht day when Eddy Betts got off the leash.

Also interesting to hear about the diverse interests of the players. Baggers , Ambrose and Ash, the surfers. Sounds like a fantastic trip they did in northern indonesia at a range of surfing spots.

I really miss Baggers in the team, because you always know you are going to get 101% when he dons the sash.

Worth a listen. Its Just like talking to a mate over a beer.

Heard a rumour today that Baggers wants to go to melbourne. Surely not? Anyone else heard of anything?

Heard a rumour today that Baggers wants to go to melbourne. Surely not? Anyone else heard of anything?

LOL

One of the worst games I think I have seen him play in a long time.

Got beaten easily by FIGJAM WHE all night.

Thank god it is pre-season.

Ease up mate, I think he did some good things and showed some heart early. Remember he missed a lot of games last year and needs to get some touch back.

One of my favorite players in past years. However - and I know Its early days - but perhaps there should be some panic dollars invested here. Not many, but just a few.

Looked slow tonight, and was struggling on a direct opponent. Didnt have a great year last year either, even before his injury.

In a backline that will definitely contain Hurley, Ambrose and Kelly and which will also contain some combination of Dea, Hartley, Goddard, McGrath, Gleeson and possibly some of Stanton, Myers, Francis and Tippa, where does he fit?

First game in 7 months? Rusty. Spoils looks off and was off pace a couple of times.
He did hurt his knee didn’t he last year. That normally have an effect on your athleticism but give him time. His best didn’t rely on his athleticism that much, his always been a high iq no nonsense defender and that’s always been why he’s so good.

Not too worried.

First game in 7 months? Rusty. Spoils looks off and was off pace a couple of times. He did hurt his knee didn't he last year. That normally have an effect on your athleticism but give him time. His best didn't rely on his athleticism that much, his always been a high iq no nonsense defender and that's always been why he's so good.

Not too worried.

Reasonable view. I hope you’re right

One of my favorite players in past years. However - and I know Its early days - but perhaps there should be some panic dollars invested here. Not many, but just a few.

Looked slow tonight, and was struggling on a direct opponent. Didnt have a great year last year either, even before his injury.

In a backline that will definitely contain Hurley, Ambrose and Kelly and which will also contain some combination of Dea, Hartley, Goddard, McGrath, Gleeson and possibly some of Stanton, Myers, Francis and Tippa, where does he fit?

Doubt Stanton will play too much in defence, same goes for Tippa and Myers.
Francis can’t get on the park yet and not sold on Ambrose. With Hartley and Hurley in defence Ambrose probably isn’t required.

There will be a spit for him, was short of a gallop tonight that’s for sure.

Doubt Stanton will play too much in defence, same goes for Tippa and Myers.
Francis can’t get on the park yet and not sold on Ambrose. With Hartley and Hurley in defence Ambrose probably isn’t required.

There will be a spit for him, was short of a gallop tonight that’s for sure.

Not sold on Ambrose?

Needs a haircut!

Needs a haircut!

I’d drop him just for that. Possibly the worst man-bun I’ve ever see .

The guy is an awesome small defender. He will be just fine.

Needs an ambrose style haircut though

Running defenders who can break the play up and slice through the opposition press is going to be an area of comparative weakness for us.

Heath Shaw and Zac Williams at GWS, Johannisen, Jayden Hunt, Pittard, Brodie Smith, Saad and Harbrow/Hanley at the Suns and plenty more. The other clubs have them.

At present we have:

McKenna who could help out in this area but has plenty to learn defensively and regarding systems etc.

Tippa who has the skills and the pace but can get exposed in the air.

And the rest of the small/medium backs are brave enough and ok defensively but aren’t really quick enough or skilled enough to be genuine weapons for us. Baguley is one of the bravest players I have seen, has little concerned for his own safety. He’ll play every week when available. A little rusty tonight but he’ll be fine. Gleeson is tracking along fine but again, not a real threat offensively. He tries to run and carry which I like to see but isn’t as quick as he thinks he is. Dea is a good, solid courageous try-er, Kelly winding up and that’s about it.

Hopefully McGrath and Morgan develope into the players they were at junior level because there is a place for their attributes at senior level. How long that takes, who knows.

I agreed with someone else in the best 22 thread that Bags on 2016 form was no longer a lock. Tonight supported that case, and that maybe as he approaches 30 he is slowing down fast.

I’m not panicking too much on bags but he’s not getting any younger. if I were a coach, I’d be getting mckenna and mcneice and trying to fast track them a little. Small forward defenders are not something we have adequate depth in