#19 Kobe "The Eel" Mutch

Yes he can do the contested stuff very well but surprisingly he is a good outside wing player. So many times when the contest was on he knew to place himself to be the “get out of jail card” and be clear enough to make a clean kick upfield. He has improved enormously over the course of 3 or 4 games. He’s a natural talent and I reckon he will be playing AFL very soon.

2 Likes

Probably only a lil annoying that although he’s seemingly ambidextrous, that doesn’t necessarily make him an elite kick off either foot. He’s not exactly hitting Tippa darts or Zach chiselers off either foot which would be the weapon that could see him excel at AFL level. But he was hitting targets from what I saw.

Only saw one half of one game though - maybe I’m selling him short.

Nah thats pretty much it, hes as good as a better than average without being spectacular kick on both. Hits targets, doesn’t get corralled like a myers, heppell, pig, etc. types.

3 Likes

That is a strange question that gets thrown around in the AFL so much. You know Jordan Lewis and Sam Mitchell don’t have skills sets that screamed ELITE player and yet they both forged careers based on doing what they do extremely well. Now I hate Sam Mitchell and think he is self congratulatory douche and think Lewis is slightly inflated as he is a premiership player but it would be fair to say Mitchell was elite and Lewis very very good. So ceilings are more - is the player flashy enough…

If you are good at everything and average 28+ possessions, don’t make many mistakes and play 2 way football for 200 games that makes you a serious footballer.

Mutch will be a serious player.

6 Likes

well…that assessment seems from here as the equivalent of driving the bandwagon…

See a lot of Hepp in this kid (and not just the hair). He will play senior football sooner rather than later you’d think.

1 Like

According to fucken who? Mitchell from day one was a clearance weapon, hard as nails, some of the best & quickest hands going around and, after his 2nd or 3rd year, developed a great kick off both feet. Anyone who didn’t think that makes a pretty close to elite skill set is just not worth listening to.

And Jordie Lewis was picked at 5 or 7 or something, so he was also clearly rated as elite in his year level.

8 Likes

He’s the Clug you’re having when you’re not having a Clug…and you’re having a McGrath

1 Like

Yeah, you would think so wouldn’t you? Of course there is no problem with being proficient on both feet.

My /sarcastica font wasn’t working in the previous post.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can really use danger as the argument for proficiency. His kicking is generally not that good. butchers it a lot. his freak athleticism gives glosses over his skill deficiencies.

also i’d 100% have danger in our team all day every day.

2 Likes

Big call. He’s no Jack Billings.

He just seem like a footballer, seems to get in the right spots, good balance between inside and out, is not afraid to throw himself in front of an oncoming pack, has great endurance and runs all day, not overly pacey but smart enough to know his limits, his kicking on both feet will only get better over the years. I think a pretty decent replacement for Stanton on the wing and hope he gets at least a handful of games this year. Oh and he’s a Bombers fan. What’s not to like.

9 Likes

Runs smart lines for a kid. I watched him yesterday and he just sees the play unfold either when we have it or when the opposition has it. Just finds himself in the spot. Agree his kicking will improve. He lacks a bit of penetration and tends to lolly them to space at the moment but all in all very happy with him for first game watched

1 Like

In fairness, especially in the last quarter, was right behind him and had a view down the ground, there was absolutely nothing for him to kick to. But agreed doesn’t have the most penetrating kick. but the fact that he’s so ambidextrous allows him to get a ball of that other wise would’ve been smothered or under a lot of pressure.

1 Like

Agree. Langford ran himself into trouble a handful of times because he clearly has no left. It amazes me that kids these days can’t kick both feet

1 Like

I have seen continued improvement over the practice games and now in the 2 VFL games; he is playing better and better with each game. At this rate of improvement he would have to be in consideration some time in 2017

Just to recap, heres what was said just after we drafted him at 42, Comments here confirm these assessments are spot on. He is a little bit lucky to be getting so much game time on the wing in the 2 VFL games since Jake was rubbed out.

186cm Weight: 84kg
Mutch stamped himself as one of the most improved players in 2016’s draft pool with a consistent display at the division two under-18s national carnival, where he averaged 25 disposals across three games. The teenager’s best traits are his work rate - he is an elite endurance athlete - and his ability to kick on both feet. His dual-sided skills allow him to spin out of stoppages and hit targets with a minimum of fuss, and he collects plenty of the ball.

AFL National and International Talent Manager Kevin Sheehan says
Prolific ball winning midfielder … earning All-Australian honours. Skillful on his right and left sides and has footy smarts and courage

Former AFL recruiter Gary Buckenara says:
A mid-sized midfielder, Mutch wins his own ball. He has a good work rate and knows how to find the footy and win it. He’s also got good skills, so he’s one of those elite kicking type players who are very important. He’ll be high on club radars.

4 Likes

A bit slow but a natural footballer and surprisingly well developed physically for his age. Unlike some of our mids he works hard both ways and spreads. Courageous too. His kicking certainly isn’t a weapon but it’s good enough. He could come into the side tomorrow and he would acquit himself well.

3 Likes

get onboard

3 Likes

Your response is embarrassing because of being such an arrogant about it. Why and you be civil. Trying to be a big shot.

Please read this article from 2003. Shows that many clubs didn’t see an elite aspect to his game. But weight of performance got it done…

Young gun Mitchell makes it his way

By Nabila Ahmed
September 05 2003

2003 AFL Rising Star Sam Mitchell.
Even as he continued to be ignored by AFL clubs around the country, Margo Mitchell always believed her son Sam would be a star.

There was something about Mitchell - yesterday crowned the 2003 AFL Rising Star - that set him apart from his peers, even in primary school, she said.

“I’ve always had faith in Sam because he’s always had inner strength. It didn’t matter how much opposition he got, even at school, he always was determined to do it his way,” she explained yesterday.

So when Mitchell received not a single reply to the letters he sent to every AFL club after being overlooked for the draft at the end of 2000, Margo knew her son would use the disinterest to fuel rather than douse his ambitions.

Her belief was confirmed yesterday, when Mitchell, who played 21 games and an instrumental role in Hawthorn’s late-season revival, was named the country’s best young talent of 2003.

The 20-year-old, who reads biographies of famous leaders - it’s that of legendary Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi at the moment - and also leads the competition on clearances, polled 33 votes - seven ahead of Fremantle defender Graham Polak.

A humble Mitchell described the win as an honour and a triumph for players who were not natural-born stars in the athletic mould of last year’s rising star Nick Riewoldt or 2001 winner Justin Koschitzke.

“Hopefully, it gives a few more guys who don’t have the leg speed in the under-18 competition or wherever . . . a bit of a chance,” Mitchell said.

Although conceding he had a tough road to the top, Mitchell, who was not picked up by Hawthorn until the 2001 draft, refused to dwell on his hardships. “I guess when I didn’t get anything from the AFL clubs . . . I thought, ‘I’m a long way away now’, but you’ve just got to keep your belief.”

The dashing midfielder said he would give back his medal in a flash if it meant the Hawks could play on in September.

His coach Peter Schwab, who initially thought Mitchell a little too slow for elite football but was forced to pick him after his Liston Trophy performance with Box Hill, heralded Mitchell’s win as proof that Australian football remained a game for all body types and shapes.

“He’s got an exceptional talent to win the ball in clearance and stoppage situations and under pressure,” Schwab said.

“I remember (former AFL coach) Malcolm Blight saying you’ve got to have one thing you can hang your hat on . . . He’s got more than that, believe me, but his ability in that area is exceptional, it’s elite.”

So I guess by “fucken who” The answer is every lead AFL recruiter who overlooked him.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with blitz.

Why can’t we just treat each other with respect?

2 Likes