1993 Grand Final - Did Silvagni touch Long's kick for goal?

Hope it was touched, it’s what you deserve by insulting Michael long by sending Mark Athorn as his opponent.

1 Like

Amazing that 30 years in, that’s the first time I’ve ever seen that angle.

Def not touched.

1 Like

I was sitting in the 5th row of the top deck of the Ponsford Stand. Couldn’t see the goal line and no video screen at the Punt Rd end back then. So I had no idea Silvagni was even there until I watched the replay while severely hung over the following day.

Would’ve been confused if it was called a point.

1 Like

He did but that’s what makes it even funnier! Fark Carlton forever!

2 Likes

I think the body language is undeniable. Not only that, but how far did Longy run between his third and fourth bounces?? :rofl:

PS is that girl in the video (Jacqui Reed) a bomberblitz member? Just asking. :kissing_heart:

Capture

1 Like

Umpire was in perfect position.

No doubt whatsoever

Not having a go, tinny, and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion but in what crazy universe can you say “No doubt whatsoever”? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Have you read the comments in the thread?
The fact that we’re discussing it 37 years later and still have opinions on either side of the question kinda suggests there may be just a teeny weeny modicum of doubt. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I was 11 - I sat in the front row behind the goals at that end with my dad and my little brother. I had a great view of it. He definitely touched it. True story. I was right fkn there.

4 Likes

I appreciate your honest post, Learnings. :wink:

Funny thing is, 27 years later with goal line review technology, and would still get it wrong!

He was diving diagonally to touch it. I have no doubt that he touched it…it’s just whether it was over the line or not.

2 Likes

I think my pic above leaves no doubt that if he did touch it, it was definitely not over the line.

Not even close to being over the line. 1 or 2 feet before it. Only a one eyed supporter unwilling to accept it was both touched and touched clearly in play would suggest otherwise.

2 Likes

So right!

I will never, never ever acknowledge that Silvagni touched that ball. Fark Carlton.

2 Likes

We would have still gone on to win by 7+ goals if it was a point, it’s just a little annoying to know one of the greatest goals in GFs wasn’t really a fair goal. He almost shanked the kick, it span pretty badly. He should have booted it much higher and landed 10 rows back.

1 Like

I’d trade Longy’s goal for a point if i could swap and make Wanganeen’s full length play a goal. That would have been the greatest goal of all time by a country mile, never to have been defeated.

7 Likes

My sentiments exactly!!!

Who cares, Carlton beat the Pies by a dodgy goal. Wayne Harms was in the second level of the grand stand.

2 Likes

Haha. I always thought it was touched. Made the moment even better.

1 Like