#20 Jackson “Jerrett” Merrett

Haha I’ve never heard of that guy!

Sure it’s not a fake Wikipedia entry.

1 Like

Nor have I, which means he doesn’t exist.

Yeah that’s what I figured, but I thought I’d put it out there in case someone knew

Reckon Jason made that entry himself.

5 Likes

Despite all the mentions in the training reports, I could never find that ‘Willy Binn’ on our list either.

2 Likes

Playing for Peel in the WAFL next year

He might be a very good WAFL player. It was suggested by many that a lack of self confidence was a major problem for him, and in the WAFL that might not be the case.

2 Likes

He’d been one of our better players and important in the win over the demons. His dropping was out of order and I think in hindsight destroyed his chances of making it.

I was supportive of him getting an extension at the end of 2016, although I thought two years was too long.

1 Like

He got a 2 year extension til the end of 2017 during 2015.
At the end of 2017 he was extended for 1 more year. That seemed nearly as surprising then as Long getting an extra year at the end of 2018

You’re right, I’m out by a year. It was the 2015 extension I thought he was lucky to get two years.

1 Like

I reckon the saga probably got him that extension. I know players weren’t suspended at that point but the club probably wanted stability and they may have also thought some players would perform better when it was all over, even ones like Jackson who weren’t under the cloud of a possible suspension.

He was good against Melbourne, no doubt. He followed that up with one of the great Barry Crockers of recent time the next week against Port.

It was probably harsh to drop him (and for about 10 weeks), but it didn’t come out of nowhere

1 Like

Good luck to him. I hope he rips up the turf.

1 Like

Yeah, but for a confidence player who up to that game had been one of our better players with the 2016 circumstances I think it nailed his coffin shut. He might not have made it if he’d stayed in, but I think his chances would have been better.

And by my memory he wasn’t alone against Port.

I think his biggest problem was he wasn’t his brother. And people expected him to be. Woosha stamped his papers the day he got there. After that it was just a matter of time. Was never going to be a real star but could have added value. Hope he goes well in the West

2 Likes

He was a good runner
A good kick
Went to the right positions

He was crap one on one

Yup.
Had some things.
Not quite enough of them.

Absolute rubbish. Although he may have put too much pressure on himself because of his brother

Jacko is a very serious man who analyses everything. Zach is the opposite.
Jacko lost the pleasure and as a consequence wasn’t playing up to the standard he can.
Reckon he’ll find that pleasure again at a less intense level.
Hope he does anyway, he’s a very nice bloke.

27 Likes

zach seems a very serious and focused person.

2 Likes