#20 Jackson Merrett

I found it interesting that he said when he was enjoying footy, he played well and that in the end he wasn’t enjoying it. Does explain his performances and how his career petered off.

2 Likes

Well done Jacko, and good luck.

6 Likes

I think he got it back to front. When he’s playing well he’s enjoying footy.

Go, go Jackson, and well done Bobcat.

4 Likes

Well done Jacko.

43 Likes

How many years does Zach re-sign for if we bring the stable pony back?

5 Likes

Well done I guess. Tells me a fair bit about the standard of the WAFL these days though…

1 Like

Or maybe he became a better player when he stopped putting too much pressure on himself?

13 Likes

I sometimes wonder if Jackson was another victim of our poor development. In his first 2-3 seasons he looked like he was going to be a player and then he just plateaued and stopped getting any better, then went backwards. Happens at all clubs so it might just have been him, but given how poor our development has been for so long, I do wonder.

10 Likes

WSPHUA

The bloke can play.

Just not at Essendon. Nobody can.

6 Likes

Completely. Apparently a very intense type who wanted to get the best out of himself. Yet we couldn’t harness that. I reckon was mishandled by Worsfold.

(Of course I don’t actually know, just going off what was said here, and then drawing a few possible conclusions out of many)

BRING

Brang

1 Like

he was on the list for 5+ seasons and could never cement a spot in the side

He just wasn’t good enough

And from the moment Worsfold arrived, he was never given a chance to prove otherwise.

6 Likes

Surely we’ve all learned that whatever happened over the last 5 years under Worsfold can’t be used to make fair and reasonable calls about anyone.

Young player not being able to cement a spot under Worsfold means exactly nothing. The guys had no idea what he was trying to do regarding developing a list, and the outcome, leaving us as a basket case with even the guys that were absolutely elite when they came in being rubbish and wanting to leave, bears out his legacy.

i think he was given chances- he just never took them. If he couldn’t cement his spot in the team in 2016, he never was going to be able too

He just didn’t have enough tricks to make it imo

1 Like

Maybe that just his level - state league

And you’d certainly hope a previously AFL listed player who had showed competent could be able to feature highly in his clubs B&F

Good footballer. Just not good enough to establish himself properly at AFL level

Your faith in our players is next level though frosty. You’d probably still have Marc Bullen on the list to this very day in the hope that he proved himself!

1 Like