#20 Jackson Merrett

14 games in 2 years under Woosha vs 15 in 2015.

In Rd 2 2016 he had 28 touches, 10 CP, 3 clearances in the win over Melbourne. Then was barely seen for 10 weeks. Maybe it was injury, but my memory is that Woosha dropped him any time he had an average game, rather than trying to build his confidence. Sound familiar? Woosha had no idea about how to develop the kids.

3 Likes

Nah, I just reckon Woosha has been such a FK up for our list development that they’ve all missed out on an opportunity to have a career. Most of their time was up, but far out, Woosha’s successes with kids development are very thin on the ground.

2 Likes

no argument there. I am worsfold’s harshest critic, but i can’t blame him for Jackson’s career demise. The guy just simply wasn’t good enough. Hird gave him a lot of games and he still never really pushed on and cemented a spot.

I remember the game after that Melbourne game, we played Port over there. And Merrett was absolutely terrible. He deserved to be dropped. Quite frankly it’s a joke that we kept the guy on the list for 6 years, when it was pretty clear he was never going to make it after 3

1 Like

Add jake long to that list . Wasn’t a world better but never looked totally hopeless . Could’ve developed nicely with a sustained run

3 Likes

Never use that word. Ever.

Jacko took a long time to get back after he broke his leg. I think he knew that was the end of the road with EFC. I’m really pleased he has done well over in WA.
I think he struggled in the shadow of Zach, two different personalities.

4 Likes

2013/14/15 he was doing fine. 2016 Worsefold arrived and that was the end of that. He was dropped when he played well, was played in different positions all over the ground when he should have been a small forward. ( Becasue we have always had a surfeit of small forwards ) We ruined him. Had a lot of talent, and a great football pedigree. Could have been a very good player imo.
Very pleased for him. Hope he goes on to bigger and better things.

1 Like

The hindsight in this thread is laughable.

Merrett was absolutely average and won the B&F on a team that didn’t win a game for the entire season. His team did not even win a game. None. Zero.

You’d bloody hope an ex-AFL footballer still in prime age would be doing well.

9 Likes

True that.

No hindsight from me. I was rubbished in this forum for my support of Jackson.

2 Likes

He was treated the same way Houli was. Always the scapegoat when losing, but wasn’t always the worst player.
Goes back to 2nds, gets some form, then dropped after one game.

3 Likes

Bring back Zac Clarke.

Perhaps just congratulating him on his award, or not saying anything at all rather then ■■■■■■■■ on him.

11 Likes

There’s no serious suggestions of recruiting him here is there? Competent player at lower level, no good at AFL level. Must’ve had a good 9 games to win the best & fairest but he’s not an AFL player. Nothing wrong with that by the way.

Merrett was the ultimate vanilla list clogging Essington plodder.

1 Like

Certainly some revisionist history in here. Played a couple of good games, vaguely remember a cracker against Carlton but outside of that, not good enough. The only part Worsfold played was keeping him too long.

2 Likes

To be fair I genuinely thought he looked pretty classy, skilful and quick enough early on. Probably in his first two seasons. Thought he’d be a player.

Then over the next 5 seasons he just didn’t come on aside from a handful of games.

Fair to say 7 seasons on the list was long enough to establish his capabilities.

1 Like

He had similar numbers against FC one game as well I thought… Or am I thinking of this game?

Thats exactly right. Then he got injured. Which meant Zach replaced him effectively. (different position though) Jackson couldnt get back into the team. And when he did he was in and out and in and out seemingly unrealted to how he played. Then played in all sorts of other postions.
He was a goal sneak and shouls have been played in the forward pocket and sometimes on the ball.

How did I ■■■■ on him? I had an opinion on him as a footballer and put into context the award to show that maybe Worsfold didn’t “destroy his development”.

Get a grip.

2 Likes