2016 Top 10 Draft Predictions

I have a sinking feeling Disco will pick McGrath

I’ve felt like this all along tbh, without the sinking feeling. Although I would prefer Clug. Main reasons:

• Our historical emphasis on ‘leadership’ and ‘character’
  • The Robert Shaw link

Can you please elaborate?

His coach at Brighton Grammar. Infatuated would be an apt description.

I have a sinking feeling Disco will pick McGrath

I’ve felt like this all along tbh, without the sinking feeling. Although I would prefer Clug. Main reasons:

• Our historical emphasis on ‘leadership’ and ‘character’
  • The Robert Shaw link

Can you please elaborate?

His coach at Brighton Grammar. Infatuated would be an apt description.

It’s safe to say he’s Shaw about who we should select with pick 1.

I see Footy Prophet now has us taking Mcgrath at 1 and Alex Witherden at our 2nd pick, two Half back Flankers that can potentially play midfield.....Gold.
I don't get the potential for midfield for McGrath, he has proven he can play midfield. Has averaged more disposals and clearances than McCluggage yet he has the potential? Ive seen what he can do playing purely midfield and he is a gun in there and if we pick him it's to be a midfielder. Would start down back naturally much like Heppel did but will progress to the midfield and have a similar impact to Zerrett once he does

Are you sure of that?

Yeah was in the heraldsun when comparing their stats

I wouldn’t get too carried away with McGrath’s possession stats. From what I have seen he likes the old one two play (where he handballs and runs past for the get back) a la Gary Ablett. Not saying that’s not good play, but it inflates the possession numbers.

So does clug

Averages 5 less handball receives a game compared to McGrath, McClugg normally finds the ball at half back or in the centre and ends up in the pocket getting a goal or being an option again, normally 50 odd meters apart from his 1st possession, McGrath gives a sharp handball and straight away sprints to receive the ball straight back, very different how the link up in a passage of play.
Once McGrath links up he falls back behind centre, McClugg will press hard forward and end up deep in the pockets.
If anything the way Clug does it is much more like how Hird played, you can see him pressing forward knowing he will get the ball, McGrath much more like Hodge how he falls back behind the ball again.

I now read your posts about McC like golem

A being that is made from mud, or the Pokemon? I imagine they sound different.

A being that is made from mud, or the Pokemon? I imagine they sound different.

*gollum

I see Footy Prophet now has us taking Mcgrath at 1 and Alex Witherden at our 2nd pick, two Half back Flankers that can potentially play midfield.....Gold.
I don't get the potential for midfield for McGrath, he has proven he can play midfield. Has averaged more disposals and clearances than McCluggage yet he has the potential? Ive seen what he can do playing purely midfield and he is a gun in there and if we pick him it's to be a midfielder. Would start down back naturally much like Heppel did but will progress to the midfield and have a similar impact to Zerrett once he does

Mate thats the consensuses around here with a few people. Doesn’t play midfield all the time and doesn’t kick goals. Just a HBF we would be trying to turn into a mid. Its baffling to be honest.

Are you sure of that?

I wouldn’t get too carried away with McGrath’s possession stats. From what I have seen he likes the old one two play (where he handballs and runs past for the get back) a la Gary Ablett. Not saying that’s not good play, but it inflates the possession numbers.

Fark me Mc lug does the exact same thinks they both link up play. Mc lug is more of a hb receive then mcg. Not that it at all matters. They are both great and damaging with there possessions

Are you sure of that?

So does clug

Averages 5 less handball receives a game compared to McGrath, McClugg normally finds the ball at half back or in the centre and ends up in the pocket getting a goal or being an option again, normally 50 odd meters apart from his 1st possession, McGrath gives a sharp handball and straight away sprints to receive the ball straight back, very different how the link up in a passage of play.
Once McGrath links up he falls back behind centre, McClugg will press hard forward and end up deep in the pockets.
If anything the way Clug does it is much more like how Hird played, you can see him pressing forward knowing he will get the ball, McGrath much more like Hodge how he falls back behind the ball again.

One thing I noticed with McCluggage at the Rebels was that he was used as the player that kicked out from a behind, then kept running which created the overlap option.
They utilised his elite disposal out of the backline. When the ball was deep in Defense he would get behind the key defenders and provide an overlap option. Then like he usually does, continues to work up the ground untill the ball is moved to the
Forwardline.

IMO he could be used as an option on the half back flank although it would reduce his goal kicking.

#1 McCluggage. Ess.
#2 Mcgrath GWS
#3 Bid Bowes, matched. Bid Setterfield selected. Bris.
#4 Bowes Suns
#5 SPS Blues
#6 Brodie Suns
#7 Ainsworth Freo
#8 Bid Perryman, matched, Scrimshaw. Suns
#9 Perryman(15 + 37) GWS
#10 Florent. Syd

I hope people realise that what position they play on the next level will depend on the coaches and coaches alone.
It’s pointless saying this and that about how they play now, which ever team drafts these kids will dectate how they play on the next level.

People improve and change so don’t hold it too much against a u/18 player if they tend to do the dumb things on the footy field. Stop looking at their stats and Just focus on atlectism, footy IQ, ability and character.

I hope people realise that what position they play on the next level will depend on the coaches and coaches alone. It's pointless saying this and that about how they play now, which ever team drafts these kids will dectate how they play on the next level.

People improve and change so don’t hold it too much against a u/18 player if they tend to do the dumb things on the footy field. Stop looking at their stats and Just focus on atlectism, footy IQ, ability and character.

Not really, where they play in juniors is most likely where they will play in seniors, it’s most likely where they are most suited on a football field.
Example: Michael Hurley

I hope people realise that what position they play on the next level will depend on the coaches and coaches alone. It's pointless saying this and that about how they play now, which ever team drafts these kids will dectate how they play on the next level.

Not really, where they play in juniors is most likely where they will play in seniors, it’s most likely where they are most suited on a football field.

Not always. Nat Fyfe being example number 1.

But yeah get your drift.

Yeah that’s because the coaches knows that’s his best position to help the team win. Coaches decision. All depend on the coaches.

Yeah that’s because the coaches knows that’s his best position to help the team win. Coaches decision. All depend on the coaches.

This is such a weird truism. Coaches decide where he plays, they decide he should play where his best position is. Seems like then its up to where the players best position is.
Pretty sure the coaches played hurley forward until they realised he was better where he played in juniors

This is such a weird truism. Coaches decide where he plays, they decide he should play where his best position is. Seems like then its up to where the players best position is.
Pretty sure the coaches played hurley forward until they realised he was better where he played in juniors

Juniors = a season or two in the TAC Cup

I think hurley would have stayed forward if his wrists held up.
Better fit and in defence than injured in the forward line.

Those 4 goals against hawks in 2009 were epic though. Worsfold might pull the switch late in gmes like Hird especially if cale up forward.

I think hurley would have stayed forward if his wrists held up. Better fit and in defence than injured in the forward line.

Those 4 goals against hawks in 2009 were epic though. Worsfold might pull the switch late in gmes like Hird especially if cale up forward.

Can’t we all just jointly panic about yesterday’s training session where both of Hurley’s hands were taped up to a ridiculous degree?
I think hurley would have stayed forward if his wrists held up. Better fit and in defence than injured in the forward line.

Can’t we all just jointly panic about yesterday’s training session where both of Hurley’s hands were taped up to a ridiculous degree?

That was just to stop him playing with his luscious beard.

Wrists didn’t recover enough. Needs another year off.