2017 free agents

Hopper would be a fantastic recruit, especially if we didn’t have to pay overs. I’m sick of GWS getting high picks for trading out these players.

Goddard, James Kelly, Stanton and Watson all retiring over the next few years (freeing up cap space).

Is there any realistic way we could snag two of Josh Kelly, Hopper or Whitfield??

1 Like

Don’t think so, saints are going to go silly on one maybe two and destroy their cap.

We should target Hopper and go after him. Exactly what we need.

First choice Martin
If not then Fyfe
If not then Rockliff
If not then Motlop
If not then Reid
Not really interested in anyone else in RFA or FA

1 Like

where ya farking going, mate?

The new Collingwood. Linked to every player.
With inside sources saying that the ‘deal is done’.

Just like Hurley and Laverde.

Anyone know Petraccas contract status?
He is a beast of a kid and still hasn’t moved into the midfield.

1 Like

End of 2018

Why would Hopper want to leave so soon? He chose to go to GWS less than 18 months ago.

Because he had to leave melbourne and find out how ■■■■ western sydney is.

He didn’t choose to go to GWS 18 months ago, it was more like three years ago when he did a week with their academy program. Academy players can’t opt out of being drafted to their academy club.

No reason.

He’s unlikely to. He is from NSW, his family have supported the giants since inception and he is getting first team football in a team likely to win silverware.

The only likely reason would be mullah.

well then we have to offer him some more mullah

Nope.

I’d like to correct myself here. Reading the rules, an academy player signs up on a per year basis, so they only don’t have a choice about going to their academy club if they’re signed to it in their draft year.

Also as an aside I found out that academy clubs are allowed to pay each academy player up to $25k in benefits during each year they’re part of the academy. So that’s nice.

Really? I thought it was a nomination thing like father son? Either the club or the player can chose not to nominate and they can then enter the open draft.

I asked Emma Quayle and Cal Twomey about it last year, and they both said academy players don’t have a choice.

The draft nomination rules say “A Club can nominate an eligible Father-Son draftee, with the player’s written consent for the upcoming NAB AFL Draft.” but for academy clubs it’s just “eligible clubs must lodge with the AFL a list of draft-eligible Academy Players it wishes to consider for inclusion on its Primary List or Rookie List.” There’s a longer form of this in the AFL Rules document too that basically says the same thing.

I’d imagine if a player was insistent, the academy club just wouldn’t include them on the list of players they wished to consider, but I don’t think they get a choice under the rules.

2 Likes

If a kid was insistent they’d still get nominated and the club would back themselves to change their mind over the course of the initial contract.

To be fair, the northern clubs have been pretty good on this. Sydney told Dunkley that if a Melbourne club picked him they wouldn’t trigger the F/S so that he could stay in Victoria. GWS new that Mutch supported Essendon and didn’t match our bid.