2020 round 4 vs Fark Carlton - here’s the team

As a new Don Draper, I should not neglect to mention we haven’t seen the dawn yet (in the seniors) of our best ruckman for the next 10 years.

So no we haven’t got our best side for the future available yet.

3 Likes

So maybe these match ups?

Betts - Saad
Gibbons - Redman
Martin - Ridley
Cunningham - Gleeson
McGovern - Hurley
Casboult - Hooker

2 Likes

The Captain says hi

1 Like

Francis?
Forward? Or just rotating off the bench with a Ridley or Gleeson?

1 Like

They generally play Setterfield (192 cm) as a tall half forward and Silvagni (194 cm) also play as a marking forward.

Most of the time one of those will be on the ground.

3 Likes

Looks about right, although I suspect Martin will play in the midfield with Silvagni (194) forward.

3 Likes

i thought maybe rotating with Gleeson?

1 Like

Rapt for Marty in particular but it’s definitely a taller backline than I can remember us going in with for a while.

Hooker 197cm
Ridley 195cm
Hurley 193cm
Francis 193cm
Gleeson 190cm
Redman 187cm
…Saad 178cm

Looking at Carlton’s key forwards:
Casboult 199cm
McGovern 191cm
Silvagni 194cm
we match up pretty well.

Martin & Cuningham (both 186cm) aren’t midgets either though, with Martin being particularly good overhead.

All in all, I think our defence looks really solid and should be too hard to beat, especially if we can win it (or even break even) in the midfield.

I still worry about our ball use going inside 50 and Carlton have some handy players back their to hurt us on the rebound - if we can put some pressure on and tidy up our delivery going forward, we should have this.

5 Likes

Pretty harsh on Guelfi. He didn’t play anywhere bad enough to lose his spot imo. Yet somehow Zaka stays in again

4 Likes

Marty has his own range of merch, check it out

The blues play the G very well, defijnitely a danger game. surprised they aren’t faves tbh. The blues aren’t bad at all.

Francis to Casboult for mine. Casboult only gets possessions on the lead and I reckon Francis knees continually sticking in the middle of his back will damper old mates enthusiasm.

Casboult is a one trick pony, take his aerial work off him he is not much.

So Zakas 2 effective possesion 1 tackle and almost losing the game off his own inability to land the easiest most practiced kick in the game effort is acceptable and worthy of delaying getting games into a youngster like ham

Get ■■■■■■ Efc. Hey absolutely ■■■■■■. Will never get close to a flag while moronic selections like this keep happening.

20 years of accepting Zaka levels of mediocrity

It’s ■■■■■■■ embarrassing

What a ■■■■ show pathetic excuse for a professional sports organisation. Soft, abysmal culture that no coach seems to want to address.

3 Likes

They were smashed the last time they played there

I wouldn’t look so much at height but more at the blend of intercepting ability and rebound. Saad, Redman, Ridley and Gleeson all offer great rebound and Hooker, Hurley and Francis patrol the air. What Rutten and Caracalla are trying to implement is more pressure through midfield allowing our defenders more time to setup and hence more opportunity to cut the ball off and rebound. Sure there is the occasional game where a small might get hold of us or a journeyman tall forward but 99% time we get beaten it is because our mids don’t apply enough pressure.

10 Likes

Show some good form in the VFL.

3 Likes

Well…Fanta takes Hams place as the in for that run.

That’s a strong backline group.
And the coaching staff are backing in the midfield rotations to get the job done.

Marty is reasonably agile and can be quite effective as a floating 3rd tall.

Who takes Betts,he will be switched on me thinks.

Ham not in the side because he was Townsend’s wrestling partner

4 Likes

I think it’s a pity that we don’t have an obvious tagger in there for Cripps. But I’m glad that they’ve stuck to the policy of naming the 3 shortest players in the team across the half forward line. If we win every game this year by 6 points or less I’ll be happy. And probably a few kg lighter.

1 Like

I’ll match your Half Forward line and raise you our Half backline of.

1. Adam Saad, 27. Mason Redman, 14. Jordan Ridley.

These guys are the quiet achievers. Except for Saad who is an outright star.

1 Like