2021 Draft Watch

Will we draft any kids from outside Victoria in the next 5 years?!?

Is he Nat Rats son?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

So how big is he if he’s both a small forward and really good basketball player (@benfti)?

He was about 183cm at the start of the year, could be taller now. He is a good athlete with a strong leap

9 Likes

Looking forward to this one.

We should have a top 6 pick (because we will be ■■■■ next year) and I would be trading our 2022 first rounder for another one as we will need points in 2022 for the Davey’s.

Load up on mids.

As I understand it, and if someone knows better please correct me, AFL aligned VFL teams will be to some degree topping up their VFL teams with players out of the NAB League from next year on. Does that mean we’d be able to have U19s F/S and NGA options playing for our VFL team next year?

2 Likes

if you dont understand it, us smooth brains wont

Well, I heard @Paul_Cousins say it on a podcast but haven’t seen any articles that lay out the specific rules. Is it top age players only? Are there game limits per player? Would we get F/S players even if they’re outside the Calder/Bendigo zones. I have so many questions about minor administrative matters, the true best thing about football.

For Essendon fans, sure.

1 Like

Some clubs worry about ticketing for the Grand Final, some clubs worry about what happens when you match an academy bid in the second round but don’t have enough points to match so the remains come out of your future second round pick but you’ve already traded out your future second round pick so does it get pushed up to your first round pick or back to your third? It’s really the lost fourth verse of “That’s The Thing About Football”.

6 Likes

So this draft has a good midfield, and we stocked up on talls this year, but we only have one pick inside the top 40, yeah? I do hope this draft has a deep gluten of midfielders for our later picks…

1 Like

Don’t forget one or two of our players might leave.

Merrett might decide to leave us through Free Agency.

And Guelfi, Laverde, Parish, Redman, Smith, Snelling, Zerk-Thatcher are all out of contract.

@THE_DON1 with the Davey boys available in 2022, do you think we’ll trade early 2022 picks (like Collingwood has done) for early picks in the 2021 draft? (And also get a few later 2022 picks in return)

1 Like

as i keep saying 1 pick in the top 40 next year…lets see how we get all the players everyone seems to think we need to fill the holes next year

free agents anyone for small players forwards and back?

Plus the mid season draft, first crack at any later developing vic kids.

As it stands, how many picks do we have in next year’s draft? What rounds are they in?

Number of picks is always just however many free list spots we have, so it’s currently undefined. But
1st - ours
2nd - none (Caldwell)
3rd - ours and port’s
4th - none (Wright)
5th onwards - ours

5 Likes

If next years draft is part of a rebuild strategy for the club we need to be trading players out to try get multiple picks inside the top 30. 2 x 1st round and 2 x 2nd round.

Might have to lose a couple of players we don’t want to, but if we’re rebuilding then we should just accept that and genuinely rebuild.

1 Like

We should cool our jets on the Davey twins, they look good but best to judge in a year’s time before talking about trading out 2022 first round picks.

1 Like