2022 board elections

The process is the problem.

They are given a limited number of words and it is very difficult to write something that appeals to everyone. And as the candidates get no real access to the Memebers other than broadcasting on social media then it favours excisting board memebers or past players.

You let out being ablle to work with others, as a lone voice on any Board is a sad position to be in.

I am not necessarily advocating a lone voice, just someone with enough critical thinking skills to challenge some of the ā€˜inside the boxā€™ thinking that the old Board suffered from.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to know where the CV section is.

Letā€™s consider a major Board decision arises, like for example:

- moving our homes games to the MCG.

Who amongst this list of board candidates has the critical skill levels to thoughtfully consider, inquire about the many grey areas that a board proposal may not cover, ask important questions and then make reasonable suggestions about:

• seating arrangements like mcg area, seating capacity, the on-selling of membership seats, access to food and drink services, parking, game day arrangements etc for both members and non members
  • revised catering arrangements including the clubs financial returns for multiple home games during the season rather than just one offs etc.
  • realigning current and new sponsorship arrangements to the new site
  • corporate box realignment from docklands to mcg and all that entails etc.
  • revised broadcasting rights, restrictions and returns to the club
  • the revised financial arrangements from the AFL for a home game
  • player transport, pick up arrangements etc
  • new club room site and arrangements
  • moving equipments from Docklands
  • insurance?
  • much more I guess. Thats all I can think of this Monday,

Anyway the point is, who amongst this list of candidates has the skills to positively contribute to any of this?

2 Likes

Agree with you and @RedSashOnBlack
Lets be honest here, If Welsh wasnā€™t a beloved ex-essendon footballer, weā€™d all think heā€™s a right d!khead. So itā€™s also a no for me.

Heā€™ll be fine, heā€™s a millionaire and itā€™ll give him the chance to run as a lib candidate in the next election.

3 Likes

Board just needs to decide on whether to move or not.
CEO / reporting officers will be able to do the number crunching.

worrying thing for me is in the past board had been led too much by the CEO & footy operations guy.

having someone on there who will question the CEO harder and get the right information out of themis what we want.

I cant see us moving anytime soon, given all the change that has happenned.

and would push it as playing more games at MCG rather than Etihad, so its only a few more games, not a huge deal breaker.

1 Like

Iā€™m leaning towards him also. I like that fact he has an MBA and comes from the NFP sector too. He had a crack a few years back and failed to get on the board yet heā€™s trying again. That says to me he wasnā€™t an opportunist, he really wants to be there. Being in Qld is the only issue for me, but I suspect many board members fly in and out without it causing a fuss.

I found Gary an interesting candidate but, from my admittedly brief search, hadnā€™t found him overly active online to get more of an idea about what heā€™d bring outside of whatā€™s on his candidate statement.

So I agree and voted for Gary Vistarini and Andrew Welsh.

Look up Currumbin Wildlife Hospital. Itā€™s a great organisation, doing fine work. Gary Vistarini runs it - and heā€™s got my vote because of it.

2 Likes

100% Perceā€¦ā€¦.very good organization they do an incredible job in a challenging geographic area (wilderness meets development)

I voted Welsh and Muir

Gary Vistarini and Muir.

Thanks, seems an impressive organisation.

I do like that from his National Trust bio he has an interest in cultural heritage, which I think could be a really important point of difference to bring to the board. I do wish he had done a better job of getting himself out there, as itā€™s his second time running and I canā€™t find anything that isnā€™t just regurgitating his candidate statements.

Iā€™ll vote for Muir given, despite his baggage, he helped with the coup that led us on the path of the changes weā€™ve long needed. But as an ex-player Welsh doesnā€™t really need my vote to get on the board, so Iā€™ll give a bit more thought to Garry Vistarini before voting.

1 Like

This should be the pro forma candidate statement with a for or against box the candidate can tick.

I donā€™t understand this at all and have not seen one argument to support it.

Sure the blockbusters should be played at the G ā€¦ and they are. But to suggest every home game should be played there makes no sense either financially or atmospherically.

5 Likes

Muir just did an interview on the lunchtime catch-up podcast. One thing he flagged is that heā€™d been banging on about increasing investment in player development for years and was thrilled when he had the external review to back that up. Apparently feels he brings the entrepreneurial skill set to the board (or something like that).

1 Like

I got a lot less convinced about the moving to the ā€˜G arguments, when i went from living 20 minutes walk from the MCG to living in Ballarat where the V/Line conveniently rolls in to Southern Cross.

3 Likes

Serious question, and not trying to be as rude as this sounds, but do you go to many Essendon and AFL matches at both Docklands and the G?