2022 board elections

And didn’t he also say in that interview that he hadn’t really engaged with Essendon for a long time, hadn’t been to the Hangar and was called, asked and courted to join the board?

He doesn’t seem like someone who has been barracking for Essendon, invested in the week to week going ons and so frustrated that he decided to take things on himself.

I think the others are talking about Andrew Muir, not Andrew Welsh.

Welsh did reply to someone on twitter after the Port loss that there were discussions going on that night about how to move the club forward, so I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he was perhaps engaged in things behind the scenes that led to Barham taking over.

Whoops. My mistake. Shouldn’t half read and post

Edited my original reply to make it clear I was talking about Muir.

1 Like

I go to almost all of them. I’m not sure why some are so obsessed about the G. I think a mix is good, whether the current mix is perfect I’m not sure. But I know on a dark winter Melbourne day with the wind running I’d prefer to be playing a smaller team in Docklands with the roof than being chilled to the bone on Level 4 or rained on in Level 1 at the G.

3 Likes

Well…technically correct but it doesn’t really work like this at Board level. Yes, a report may be submitted for the Board to consider but it’s up to the board Members to

• ask questions i.e. the right questions may poke holes in some of the assumptions
  • as for more details to be submitted to clarify an aspect of the report/recommendation
  • question how the report recommendations were formulated i.e, is the report subject to any outside influences (for example our AFL overlords) or conflicts of interest, etc.

Basically the candidates need the skills and experience to adequately peer review the report, not just blindly accept it as written. I can’t see many of these skills and experience in many of the candidate, can you?

1 Like

These Candidate bio’s are woefully inadequate.
I don’t know who to vote for.

3 Likes

Lol not rude at all. Yep been to plenty of games at both and it’s true, nothing beats the big games at the G. But I love watching footy at Marvel and find their facilities superior.

1 Like

Who are you voting for?

• Benjamin Yeo
  • Andrew Muir
  • Paul White
  • Chris Ciantar
  • Garry Vistarini
  • Andrew Welsh
  • Alex Aeschlimann
  • Ben Dunn

0 voters

1 Like

ben dunn sounds like someone making fun of brendan

3 Likes

I heard from a reliable source that Mr “invisible” Muir put in a substantial amount of money into the development of the Hanger without wanting any fan-fair. And if you think you might guess how much money…it’s not even close. Substantial.

3 Likes

I’d vote for him if he was called Chris Scimitar.

This is good by him, only question I’d have though is does he get a board seat because of his donation. Doesn’t seem the right way to go about it.

Nothing beat the G for me.

play the minnows at Etihad (Suns, GWS, Tassie, Port, Brisbane, Fremantle) but games like Hawks, Swans Cats should all be at the G where at times they are at Etihad.

• Most home games at the G
  • Most home games at Etihad

0 voters

Without sounding like a one man cheer squad. I don’t know the bloke, nor do I even remember any interactions he’s had with the media.

I do know he’s loaded and runs the Good Guys chain, so I would imagine he brings a heap of business knowledge on top of his wallet.

The rest of the candidates didn’t wow me and he was key to the change we’ve just recently had so that was good enough for another term in my eyes.

3 Likes

So rumour about massive fairly anonymous donation into the Hangar and your conclusion is board corruption? Sort of “the glass isn’t full, the surrounding table is empty” philosophy.

1 Like

Most candidates have sounded almost the same to me so far. Finding it hard to make a well-informed vote.

2 Likes

Nobody really jumps out at me. Based on the conversations here, I suspect I’ll go with the wildlife centre guy and Muir. But pretty blaise on both, and given how indifferent I am, may not vote.

Which is freaking annoying. Why aren’t there any candidates you go, “yes please”?

1 Like

so just for a bit of perspective for those who want more elections, shorter terms, no appointed directors etc etc etc

my job is working for an organisation that (still) has one year terms and full elections every agm. and as an employee, it fkng suuuuuuucks. i spend 3 out of every 12 months getting nothing substantial done because a) i can’t risk making an unpopular decision in the two months prior to the agm in case it riles up a subset of the membership enough to organise a spill, and b) i have to spend (at least) a month getting new directors up to speed before they’ll vote on anything. i’m fortunate enough to have never had it happen (yet) but there’s every chance next year i could get a whole new board who throw out our current strat plan (so torpedoing everything i work on), or even get rid of me as an employee.

if we want the club to have and retain good staff, we need to ensure there’s consistency on the board across multiple-year periods. sure, it means we give up some of the vibes of democracy or whatever, but a club of this size can’t function otherwise.

7 Likes

My vote has been cast, I’ve followed Sheeds in with the no change idea, that the current board is stable. I think a lot of other candidates are really aligned (selling the same story) to the current board members, and a lot of what we have done since the end of August is what they are selling.

2 Likes