2022 trade speculation (Part 2)

I don’t think any of those guys have been “particularly” bad contributors to bad culture. It’s the head of the snake that builds the culture and players follow suit.

If they were in strong cultures and systems like Geelong, Sydney and Richmond all those SSSS guys are starring for their sides playing consistent AA football (bar maybe Smith with his degenerative knee problem).

Pro: talent. Con: tank.

4 Likes

When you have sustained success thats when you go down the free agent as players want to come.

you need that first period of success that will set you up …

we werent even close when the ssss trade was done…

Stocker is so bad, please no.

Carlton fans hitched their wagon to him to justify trading up for him so have always gone into bat for him

Yeah I know what you mean. But there are plenty of examples of clubs who have built with regular trades even before they achieved success. Hawthorn traded a lot while the most recent premiers Melbourne traded for May, Lever, Hibberd, Melksham, Langdon, Tomlinson and Ben Brown. Plus went for experienced delistees Mitch Brown, Daw, Dunston.

1 Like

You have basically answered your own question.
Setterfield has had ample opportunity to impress and has failed to do so.

3 Likes

At two clubs as well.

I think Stocker is worth taking a risk on. If he’d been a VFL listed player at a non-aligned club (or Richmond VFL), we’d be all over him with a late pick in the draft. Get him on the list for a year and let him push for selection. Earlier this season our starting bounce in the VFL was Bryan, Atley (VFL listed), Ham and Smith. Stocker is an immediate upgrade even if he struggles to crack into the team quickly.

13 Likes

It seems Voss didn’t like the cut of Stocker’s jib.

At the very lest he’ll give us depth in an area we are lacking and that’ll be good for our VFL performance. He comes with an anti-FC chip on his shoulder too which is nice.

3 Likes

Francis and 22 for Dan Houston.

1 Like

It was his frustration that lowered his intensity.

He still has it!

What are we going to do with 184cm Stocker? Play him midfield (and if so, ahead of who)? And that’s assuming he develops a tank.

I like the idea - I really wanted Brodie last year -but I just don’t see how Stocker fits into our side, or what point of difference he offers.

7 Likes

Stocker is 184cm, but he really is built like a fridge.

He is also more of a burst player, as opposed to a lot of our current mids.

2 Likes

OH dear stocker really…

now remind me of all those fark carlton success stories we took

what next

lets resign B Ham lol

McKay from North we are an upgrade from them even with Clarko

Oliver from Pies I think he will be a good player.

2 Likes

Purely from a list balance profile, I’d probably take Setterfield over Stocker, all else being equal and assuming they’re going cheap and we had the list space. 192cm and 86kg gives us size in the middle when we’re getting bullied in there, and I think that’s his best position. FCFC have had him on the wing a lot where he’s wasted.

Stocker’s problem is that he just doesn’t get enough the ball and doesn’t run hard enough (probably related). I’d have a talk to Stants about him before considering him, Stants should know the guy from his time at FCFC. He’s been on the list 4 years, why hasn’t he got a tank yet? Is he lazy, or has he had injuries, or is he someone like Josh Toy who’s just copped the rough end of the genetic pineapple and has a low aerobic ceiling?

16 Likes

Another thing ive noticed with Stocker, he’s done some awful clangers by foot.
Definitely not a one off.
He is certainly no Darren Jarman.

He does crack in hard, and is a good tackler that ive seen.
If youre prepared to run at Stringer and absorb body contact, it shows a willingness to compete.

I much prefer him to Setterfield as there is probably upside with Stocker.

Far out, Josh Toy is a great throwback.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched junior footy or the draft seriously since 2016. All my references are outdated…

4 Likes

I’d sign 2 or 3 good VFL standard mids so our young kids can actually develop in a competitive environment. Stocker, Bytel and Ely Smith for example, all free or picks over 50.

Sending our kids to the 2s to get belted is helping no one.

6 Likes

Stocker will be our next Brownlow medallist. Sign him up

1 Like