2022 trade speculation (Part 2)

Disagree. His disposal was also poor last year. But, we were winning so no not many thought it was an issue. Go watch the Saints or Geelong game again and he barely hits a target by foot.

But it has to be said that his strengths outweigh his weaknesses regardless and people criticise him too much

Heā€™s not going to be a superstar, but I think heā€™d be around the mark for our last couple of midfield spots. Maybe in, maybe not.
And he does have legit size to him.

Iā€™d take him for nothing/cheap. He was on 600k odd so they may be wanting to move him on to free up space.

I think thatā€™s a terrible argument. Getting better VFL players plus pick #4 and Davey fixes that without using a list spot.

If itā€™s Ham vs Setterfield (or Frang v stocker) for a list spot?

Be hard to get too upset about it

8 Likes

Stocker and Setters makes sense especially when you consider the cost.

1 Like

Our VFL midfield will be farking BEEF CENTRAL.

SIGN THEM UP!!!

2 Likes

Itā€™d be worth a look.

Probably a few others in the same boat, too.

Fair enough, you are entitled to.

A stronger VFL and more competition for our relatively lazy midfield seems pretty compelling to me. Itā€™s not like competition for list spots is super fierce at the moment.

Edit: I should say - the objective should be that they develop into best 22 players and, if you think that this is 0% chance, you donā€™t bring them in. But there are ancillary benefits to giving them a crack.

2 Likes

I think itā€™d be a bad motivation if you saw no possibility of those guys improving and becoming more than they are currently.

Weā€™ve got three list spots now. Iā€™d expect Ham and Francis to go (5 spots) and probably Waterman (6). After that I think the only players Iā€™d want out is Heppell and Shiel and I suspect both are staying.

If we have six list spots then three are spoken for (pick #5, Davey x2), Iā€™d want to pick up a small back late (Lloyd Johnston?), and one spare to match Munkara or use on someone else who slips, or SSP. Use a Cat B on one of Munkara or Foley.

If McKenna chooses us use one of the above slots.

So I think weā€™ll have one list spot for a recycled or experienced player unless Heppell or Shiel leave. Iā€™m happy to use that spot on a recycled player, but not any more (unless an older player leaves).

That recycled player could be a DFA or traded. Options discussed are Stocker, Setterfield, Henry, Mathieson, D Robertson, Ely Smith, Oā€™Halloran, Bowes, Fiorini, J Ross, H McLean, Narkle, Constable, etc. use one spot on whoever we think is best. But it shouldnā€™t be to strengthen the VFL but a Hail Mary to get an AFL player.

4 Likes

Easy answer. We will probably have more than 6 free list spots.

WANT.

Iā€™m not sure how you can write that with a straight face given how many games Caldwell, Hobbs and Perkins spent in the forward line. We desperately need more mid time for those three. And weā€™ll be adding pick #4 and Davey.

I agree that there are ancillary benefits, but donā€™t think theyā€™re even worth listing when making a decision.

Iā€™ve been wrong on list spots before, so weā€™ll see. Iā€™ll personally be disappointed if we delisted any of the kids not named, but be happy if Heppell or Shiel did leave.

There is a lot too chose from its getting the one with the most upside and least draft capital

Narkle can add small forward plus midfield depth. depends on value
Setterfield probably my pick
Mathieson - probably not as high on my list as others, but if everyone else rejects us could be a option. His ability to get players up and about is a positive given our inability to get up for matches.
Stocker - for those that say inside mid, think he actually would probably come into the list considerations as small defensive cover as well, some of those intercept marks were quite good. But at VFL level we have the opportunity to develop his inside mid game.
Im hoping for Heppell to leave and us to select 2 players to trade in.

Indicative 2022 draft picks (at end of H&A season): 4, 22, 40, 58, 76

#4 Sheezel/Wardlaw/
#Davey x 2
#Munkara
#Setterfield - fourth round pick 76.
#Dow/Stocker/Mathieson
#SSP carryover

1 Like

Fark Setterfield, he selected Fark Carlton ahead of the team he supported as a kid.

Iā€™d go after Dow instead.

1 Like

Adding to the intrigue ahead of Friday nightā€™s draft, Setterfield has admitted he grew up an Essendon supporter ā€” a mad one at that, too.

Ad

ā€œThey were my team and I followed them pretty passionately as a young fella,ā€ Setterfield told foxfooty.com.au.

ā€œWith the scandal going on, it got a bit tricky. But I still supported them nonetheless, with my good friends down here.ā€

For Setterfield, he canā€™t lose Friday night. Heā€™ll either head to the club he barracked for, or the club that has nurtured him through his junior career that happens to be the flag favourite for 2017.

I think/hope all of these are a fait accompli.
I wouldnā€™t be surprised if there are some additional spaces come up through trade or delistings.
Hopefully our new coach comes in with some very strong ideas on our game plan and the structure of the list he needs to implement that game plan.
If this does occur any number of players could find themselves on the outer.
Equally, we could be surprised by some of the players being added to the list.

Weā€™re not getting Sheezel or Wardlaw.

BOO