2022 trade speculation (Part 2)

Fiorini is on 500k next year maybe an opportunity to be rewarded for helping the sun’s create some list space

I’d be taking setterfield.

I’d take Fiorini. Reakon he has a bucket load of potential.

2 Likes

He was injured at GWS, and in contention for a spot in a very good midfield
He’s competing with Cripps and Kennedy and now Cerra at Carlton.

So they’re playing him on a wing where his assets are not pronounced.

He’s a tall, inside midfielder. and I wouldn’t be shocked if we grab him. He won’t be on the same money he was on at Carlton.

A lot of people rated him #1 or 2 in the 2016 draft.

9 Likes

Yeah, but we snubbed him first.

Essendon didn’t support Setterfield as a kid.

8 Likes

But we knew he supported us.

Essendon haven’t supported me as an adult…

35 Likes

and therefore expected to get him once he chose to leave GWS.

1 Like

Setterfield was no good at GWS, and no good at Carlton. But we think maybe he might be alright at Essendon. Where development goes to die! Pass

God I hope that someone decent gets linked to us so I have stop thinking about Dow, or Stocker, or Setterfield wearing the red and black.

3 Likes

Fark me…Tigers almost rolled the Bears… and are gonna land Hopper and Tanranto… and we are in a world of pain are talking about Stocker and Setterfield… seriously just go the the draft and pick talent up

8 Likes

Interesting what Damo had to say about Stocker in today’s sliding doors article…

IF …

Liam Stocker was a surprise delisting during the week …

THEN …

I have no doubt he will find a new club. Reckon he’s got genuine talent. Might want to sharpen all aspects of his attitude, though. Rubbed more than a few Blues the wrong way.

Not sure Stocker would ever be AFL quality in the middle due to his reported tank issues and our need to prioritise development of players like Hobbs, but I think he could definitely provide a senior body at VFL level to help with development of those around him at very least. Some merit in this thinking…

Setterfield is interesting because he never got a fair run of it at GWS due to their utterly stacked midfield when he was drafted before major injury… Then wasn’t exactly given the breathing time as #1 BBM at Carlton essentially due to Cripps. Is there only enough for 1 of those single-paced players in a best 22 midfield set up? Do we have anyone in our best 22 currently occupying that role? Questions to ask before ignoring what benefits he could add to our team.

If not AFL level, see benefits outlined above for Stocker at VFL level. While we are expecting to take Forward & Outside talent that will need opportunity / protection to develop, they may be enticing low risk / high upside opportunities.

Fiorini is 25, limited ability and doesn’t bring anything we don’t have. GC would have moved him on last year if anyone was interested. Unless they’re giving us a decent pick to take him in I’d have no interest.

2 Likes

We went 8-2 to finish the year.

10 Likes

If your taking him, your hoping the delisting is the kick in the butt he needs to bring his talent to the fore.

If it clicks (ie fitness trainer over the off season, better attitude, fitter) he could be something.
If not he isn’t going to cost the world, will help the VFL team and you can punt him at the end of next season.

1 Like

bloke clearly has never watched the magic that is Berastinacki

1 Like

They did play the bare minimum of games against other top 8 teams (7), the lowest in the league. So arguably lucky to play finals.

A little unfair to Fiorini - last year playing inside mid he averaged 24 disposals with 9 contested possessions and 4 clearances, which would put him behind only Merret, Shiel and Parish on our list. Got moved out to the wing with Rowell returning, Anderson emerging and Swallow moving back on ball, but he can do a job.

1 Like

So it would put him behind our starting 3, making him depth.

Look, he’s a good average player. But we’re covered for those in midfield. I don’t think he’s got any major upside and that’s what we should be recruiting for. If they don’t come on in 2023-2024 then Caldwell and Hobbs can be the depth in 2025+. We don’t need to recruit for it.

Only use picks on players with significant upside IMO.

I mean, I don’t think Fiorini would cost very much in a trade, and he’s shown more at AFL level than either Stocker or Setterfield (as others have advocated, not you). And you need depth on a list alongside high upside talent, although generally I agree that in this stage of a list build we want to take more home run swings than safe picks.

Just saying, I think it’s a bit unfair to say Fiorini has limited talent - he’s shown something at the level.