2022 trade speculation (Part 2)

Why would Carlton do that? There isn’t anyone they can take at #1 that would cover the hole McKay would leave.

After the ■■■■■■ bid on Davey.

1 Like

Doesn’t help them when they have been building the list to get to this point.

And nobody is doing that deal either.

1 Like

Crazy Clarko trying to fast track things…

Why? Harry McKay is overrated as fk. He’s Joe Daniher all over again, a flopping one dimensional key forward who kicks around the corner from 25m out directly in front. At the price he’d cost, no thanks.

15 Likes

Think Stocker would be a good pick up. Needs to get his head right but has good upside and would cost nothing.

3 Likes

You said “only use picks on players with significant upside.”

I say not all good trades require players to increase their output post trade.

Setterfield reminds me a lot of Sam Mayes from PAFC. Gun juniors, got to AFL level and really haven’t established themselves because they don’t really have any discernible elite traits. They’re okay at most things, without being outstanding at anything. It’s a bad mix, especially when you factor in Setterfield’s lack of intent and aggression.

Vanilla would be the word I am looking for.

What if they lose him next year via FA to North who could pay him a shed load of $$$ that Carlton are unable to match ?

Smart from North to get it done now whilst they have the best Draft position.

Edit…also unites the brothers, so Ben leaving as a FA would then become highly unlikely.

2 Likes

I understand where we are as a list, and it’s not necessarily the right play to add too many mature aged players, but it seems there are going to be a heap of players swapping clubs in this trade period (read that there are apparently 4 players from Freo that will be requesting trades once their season ends). We have $3mil in cap space, and the best we can do is perhaps get a couple of Carlton rejects in Stocker and Setterfield. I’m not sold on either. No one would have seen them as close up as Carlton, and they aren’t in a position to be delisting decent players. If Carlton doesn’t want them, I’m not sure I do, but understand they will come cheap. It’s pretty disheartening as a fan.

1 Like

hypothetical trade

Crows Francis
Blues McCasey
Ess Setterfield

3 Likes

Carlton traded out Tuohy, Kennedy, Grigg, Sam Jacobs

let Waite betts, Robinson walk

2 Likes

Think I’d prefer McAsey in that scenario

Of our developing key defenders still not convinced Brand or Eyre will amount to much.

Reid could just as well end up a forward.

Not convinced Setterfield can perform the role we would need him to fill.

1 Like

I’d sooner play Ham as a KPD over McAsey.
McAsey is a absolute bust

2 Likes

Was more a reflection on my view of Setterfield and our list needs as much as anything else.

What’s McAsey’s go? He’s still young enough to forge a quality career. Curious why he hasn’t had more looks in a team that’s screaming for key defenders.

Given the conversation was around recycled players and unproven youngsters, if they don’t improve that’s a major issue!

That’s the thing isn’t it.

That little braggart x has polished his flute for 10 years to the tune of how awesome our bank balance is, to the point where we are such a shallow husk in every other segment (like actually being a footy club) that no amount of money makes us attractive to a coach or players.

And we sit here and $hit all over North Melbourne and suns and other clubs that get given money just to stay afloat or accumulate a war chest.

At least they didn’t have to earn it.

We are a larfing stick.

If they think they’re going to lose him it’s a different conversation as it becomes a question of maximising what you lose him for. But unless he wants out it doesn’t make sense for Carlton to trade. Even if he does you might force him to stay and roll the dice on convincing him to stay.

Plenty of recycled players get traded to perform a role that doesn’t require significant improvement but proves to be invaluable to their new team.

Sometimes it’s as much about opportunity as it is about ability or output. Look at Ben Keays to Adelaide or Matt Deboer to GWS.

2 Likes

And I don’t think we’re in the space to pursue those players yet. Those are fill in the gaps at the end of a rebuild, now we should be concentrating on upside.