2022 trade speculation (Part 2)

Surely a 4 year deal means good compo?
Like a end of the 1st round or early 2nd?

1 Like

Adelaide got compo pick 36 for Atkins. Hopefully we get the same (maybe more actually given Hepps would likely demand more salary)

GCS is not a club. Heppell will only ever be remembered as an Essendon player. His legacy is not damaged by taking on a juicy retirement gig in the sun. Youā€™re only a footballer for a short time and if GCS offer him a four year playing coaching package he would be made not to take it

1 Like

So that guy who said North offered 4 was a little bit on the money if this is true. Gotta get him on Blitz he can be the new Scorch

4 Likes

yep except they didnt mention the coaching component.

We all laughed at 4 years regardless of the breakdown.

1 Like

If itā€™s a 2+2 deal where heā€™s only contracted as a player for two years, we arenā€™t going to get compo in that ballbark. It would be starting at a 3rd round pick IMO

2 Likes

Any pick inside 50 is a win for us, weā€™ll need the points

4 Likes

Wish I could like posts multiple times

2 Likes

If we lose Heppell. I think itā€™s vital that we throw big dollars to someone like Josh Kennedy (Sydney) a part-time playing role.

Even go to Selwood with a 1 year, million dollar deal.

We simply donā€™t have the leadership. Iā€™m very underwhelmed with Merrett and McGrath as captaincy options (although we have no other choice).

2 Likes

Looks like Heppell would get a third round pick.
Would be extremely lucky to get an end of second round.

If it were to happen, it might be better to look at a trade.
GCā€™s fourth pick is #33, so if thatā€™s what you were after then perhaps a package deal.

Hypothetically.

1 Like

Actually, if we picked up a free agent ourselves, and I assume we will, then wouldnā€™t we lose any free against pick we might receive?

1 Like

If we happen to grab a Free Agent, wouldnā€™t this offset any gains for Hepp?
Trade - yes

1 Like

He is a FA though, so why would they trade?

Heā€™s an unrestricted free agent - so if he leaves weā€™ll get what weā€™re given

1 Like

Lol.
I thought perhaps to save compensation on their own free agents, but then I looked up who they were.
Casboult and McLennan.
Soā€¦.nope.

But that was why I said you might look at a package.

I agree that it looks unlikely for us to convince them to give us more than FA would, which I assume would be a pick after our third round, so #42 (which will be pushed back).

GC has 7, 25, 32, 33, 43, 50.

Iā€™m guessing they have better plans for the use of their last three picks.

1 Like

I still think that weā€™ll struggle to get any free agency compensation.

The important variables in the formula are rumoured to be:

• Age (and Heppell is not a young free agent)
  • Salary per annum (a four year deal presumably spreads it thin)

Last I heard, contract length was less importantā€¦(eg. Hence we still got a first round pick for Daniherā€™s $750k x 3 years).

1 Like

You can still trade a free agent if all parties are amenable.
There are some circumstances where they definitely would be, but I canā€™t see how these would meet them, sadly.

1 Like

No, he just scrapes in at 30 for any magic age points at all.
I would assume that even on two years heā€™ll still be in the top 50% of players, though.

Itā€™s shame they didnā€™t come a year earlier - we coulda bent them over (Lachie Weller for pick 2 style)