2023 best 23

Nope

It surprises me you don’t have zerk in there, it’s a very small defence. What’s your thinking with that one?

1 Like

there is no way, in a million years, that bryan will play round 1 and BZT doesnt

6 Likes

Pfft, a million years. I’d suggest it’s a reasonable chance to happen some time in the next ten years.

2 Likes

Interesting thinking about the team from a pure structure perspective.

Backline
I like a 7 man group of 3 talls, 2 mediums and 2 smalls. Pretty straightforward:

Laverde, Ridley, Zerk, Redman, Kelly, McGrath, Hind/Massimo

Forwards:
I like a 6 man group, with the 7th being a resting mid. Structurally I like 3 “key” forwards, plus 3 pressure forwards. Only having one or two pressure forwards in recent years has killed us defensively.

Wright, Weid/Jones, Stringer, Tippa, Guelfi, Menzie/Davey/Snelling

Midfield
Draper picks himself as a ruck, which leaves an 8 man midfield group. I like a structure of 3 inside, 3 inside/outside and 2 wings. We’ve been guilty of having too many inside mids and not enough who play in other areas.

Inside group:
Parish, Shiel and Setters/Caldwell

Wings:
Martin, and Durham

Inside/outside mids
Merrett, Langford, Caldwell/Perkins

Sub:
Want someone versatile and senior so that a younger player doesn’t miss out on game time in the VFL.

Hepps is a pretty easy selection here and can help coach from the bench

3 Likes

My round one attempt for now:

B - McGrath BZT Kelly

HB - Redman Laverde Ridley

C - Durham Parish Martin

HF Perkins Jones Langford

F - Menzie Wright Snelling

Foll - Draper Setterfield Merrett

INT - Sheil, Caldwell, Massimo, Heppell

Sub - Hind

Davey close but don’t want to debut as sub. Felt Snelling was deserving of starting but let’s see what the next game looks like.

Tippa and Stringer to get fit in the 2s.

Weideman and Voss close. Jones should definitely start for mine. Has shown glimpses of a return. To form and boy do we need that from him.

Might need to get back to full fitness before consideration: Cox, Guelfi, Hobbs.

Hobbs is an interesting one. Think Setterfield could ruin his chances of increased midfield minutes this year. Throw in the new competition for forward spots and he is no certain selection this year.

Caldwell will be hoping for a big season. Hobbs will be hoping he can grab his spot.

A fit Guelfi and Cox could mean Snelling and Hind / Mass in trouble. Heppell the other obvious in my best 22 who will be on the fringe.

Not seeing enough Menzie, A Davey or Tippa in these squads.

Langford needs to get significantly fitter for him to get a spot. Plus I’m not sure about his casual approach. He is too nice a guy to be the footballer he should be. Not enough Cnt.
Plus just seems to casual about things. I’d have him as depth. Not best 22 anymore

Guelfi must come back via the VFL and earn a spot.

I would also prefer Davey or Menzie over a Sneilling.

Has Sneilling slowed down a bit? His skills are great, ditto tacking - but he may be past his peak and I want Davey & Menzies to be played and given every chance to succeed.
Sneilling will play plenty of games this year. But like Stewart I feel he should only be depth, he won’t be in our next premiership tilt baring a miracle.

1 Like

I think the actual best 22 is highly likely to have three genuine small fwds in it. Question is which ones gets left out. Maybe they play 4.

1 Like

I don’t think it matters anymore, does it? With the change to a ‘tactical’ sub, I think just about every sub will get game time.

Maybs 1-2 changes after saints game, but for now:

Ridley Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav McGrath
Durham Setterfield Martin
Davey Jones Perkins
Menzie 2MP Voss

Draper Merret Parish

Bench: Caldwell Shiel Mass Hepp
SUB: Walla

I would love it see a forward six of

Walla weed Davey
Jones 2MP Menzie

At some stage throughout the year

4 Likes

We’re honestly a real chance to have that round 1 to be honest

This is almost certainly the wrong thread but I have a different take on all this. If we are to develop our young players (which is most of the list) and drive towards finals then at some point we have to start playing them. We probably won’t win a flag in the next 2 years but creating a winning culture is important so sending out a team to get smashed every week to develop them is IMO a bad idea (watch Hawthorn this year.) You can imagine my team as what it might look like after 3 years of development (ignoring injuries, delistings, trades etc.) Also drawing a very long bow on a few so this is assuming all current players are actually going to meet their potential.

B: McGrath Hayes Reid
HB: Ridley Redman D’Ambrosio
C: Martin Setterfield Durham
HF: Perkins Jones A.Davey
F: Menzie Wright Voss
Fo: Draper Merrett Caldwell
B: Tsatas Parish Zerk-Thatcher Hobbs Cox
EM: Wanganeen Bryan Munkara J.Davey Weideman Baldwin

There are some very obvious omissions but as much as I like them and they should play every game this season if fit; Cox, Reid, Voss and Tsatas should be sending Langford, Laverde, Stringer and Shiel off to Centerlink (at some point in the next 3 years!)

2 Likes

I like the idea.
But all things being equal…
I’d develop BZT and Cox ahead of Hayes and Reid. They’ve both shown far more to warrant a spot in the backline.
I’d also play Langford ahead of Voss.

We really have to sort out our injuries as it’s really hampering the opportunities to get some continuity through the AFL and VFL teams.

2 Likes

Will a fwd line of:

Wright Jones Weid
Menzies Walla Davey

Will that work?

Worst backline ever. Will leak goals like a sieve

“You can imagine my team as what it might look like after 3 years of development”

Do you have a time machine?

It would now seeing Reid has a broken back and Hayes is still recovering from being up to his nuts in guts at schoolies.

I don’t know who those two people you talk about are. You know why? Because they have done nothing. Neither has the current back six. Redman is the only decent player in that back six with any cred and he is like 190cm.

Sorry mate, my apologies. After being impressed by a couple of the younger players in the practise match, my typically optimistic self was thinking what the best 23 would look like in a few years of development. Like which guys would still be there and what if they actually improved. I thought that was clear, I’ll try harder next time.