2023 FF Original Discussion Thread

I am a little shocked and stunned. I read Dunlop’s post this morning and thought it better to wait until I had more time to consider it (I probably wont do it justice or express myself exactly as I think it comes out). It is massive that Dunlop is stepping down not only from his admin role but also his team. Like most if not all in this comp, I cannot imagine the comp being run by anyone else.

Thanks for all that you have done and continue to do for this comp, Nate it is a sincere thanks for taking a punt on accepting me in to the comp all those years ago and for sticking with me. We have not always seen eye to eye but don’t think I have ever not respected our discussions, or your decision making*.

I am sorry to see that you are leaving the comp altogether but I get it and I can only wish you well in life. I hope you won’t be lost to Blitz either and maybe I/we will catch you at a game sometime soon.

From my perspective you have absolutely nothing to apologise for, I think you are your harshest critic and perhaps you are guilty holding yourself to a far higher standard than is necessary. You have been a very consistent and successful performer as a coach and your eventual successor will be a pretty fortunate beneficary of a rich history in the comp as well as a very solid team.

• Except for your refusal to implement my ideas about including zoning and nominating a school that each coach would get priority access to select players from. Both suggestions would be done in a very similar way to how Father-Son and NGA’s work in the AFL (just in case anyone is interested) :wink:

Now Fogdog drops another surprise and we are losing two huge members of the comp at the end of the season, which will be strange for most of us I imagine.

Fog you came in to the comp and really turned it on its head with your unorthodox trading but it reaped rewards for you in a pretty short time. You have been a pretty competitive coach all the way through and many of us could take a leaf out of your book. I think sometimes your approach (kind of) inspired me to go a little more bravely into trades and get out of my shell a tiny bit.

Good luck with your massive life change, I hope it is a good thing.

Thank you for that generous trade we did in 2011 that involved me getting the Q-Stick, Mackie & Mitch Morton for Broughton, Jared Brennan and my 3rd and 5th round picks (I think the 3rd rounder was on-traded and the 5th rounder got you either Sam Kerridge or Mark Nicoski

From memory I was struggling to pick a full side each week and I may have even traded you an injured player or players. The 3 players you gave me really gave my team a boost and more depth. I think it really turned my fortunes around in the short term but it could have paid off for you big time. It was a risk from your end but that is what I came to know you as, a risk taker and a person with a good heart. I appreciate it now and I appreciated it then as a gesture to help someone who was not going so well at the time.

Hopefully you both ride of into the sunset after the most success that you can both get from this season.

Sorry if it is a bit of an orbituary for you both, as there is plenty of time do write those during the season.

6 Likes

@Dunlop is it season average or previous five matches for bye players this week?

Sorry, thought I’d replied to this last night. Its season average, it hasn’t been the last 4 games for a couple of years.

Current Scores for Your Game:
Crazy Bomber 423 (6) vs. Stoops 427 (6)

Predicted Scores: 1411 vs. 1405

Just a FYI for everybody, final scores won’t be up until Mondays for this month long bye period.

3 Likes

Thanks De Goey. Another year of not being able to get your bye score :rofl:

Another week of miss managing Bruest, thought an away flogging in Adelaide would see Connor West score better at home in Perth…

Firm nope from Luke

@Allblack when are the position poll results being announced?

Just when I thought I could start to make a buffer on CB after his unlucky Hurn injury it seems like every possession chain for the Dogs is featuring Daniel, Dale and Libba with Atkins tackling them at the moment. Fortunately got English holding the dam wall but need Macrae and Ceglar to keep getting near it, although Ceglar spending 10 minutes on the bench in the third not promising, wouldn’t surprise if he is subbed.

Will be a close run match I think, a shame both of our teams aren’t at absolute full strength but tipping it will come down to me needing to run down a score with my North and Dons players at the end of the round.

Hi all

There we’re some close calls on position changes but the ones that were successful

Callan Ward - FC
Trent Cotchin - FC
Darcy Byrne-Jones - FB
Kyle Langford - FB
Harry Sheezel - FB
Ben Keays - FC

All the rest didn’t meet the threshold and will retain their current positions

I will try and post full counts later

3 Likes

Booooo

Even Champion Data classifying Hunt as playing more mid than back.

Above average players 2023: Jayden Hunt (wing), Oscar Allen (key forward), Shannon Hurn (general defender), Tom Barrass (key defender).

3 Likes

Mostly DKs killed you. I think 8 off the top of my head. No one is watching West Coast games unless absolutely forced to.

1 Like

That’ll be game over with Greenwood KOd on the half time siren, well played CB

BYE ROUNDS BENCH WARNING

Bench will be making late adjustments to your teams every week and will then roll those adjusted sides over for the next round - so make sure to carefully check your bench/emergencies before the upcoming Thursday games as some of your bye round players may have been swapped out of your 18.

Official Final Scores

Crazy Bomber 1450 defeated Stoops 1437
wezza 1194 defeated Alber_Goodthur 1175
You Shall Be Smoten 1328 defeated The_Mad_Bomber 1158
redbull 1328 defeated Awesome Scotty 1206
WIndy Dill 1158 lost to topdon 1344
wimmera 1232 defeated Jefferson 1188
Blummers 1235 lost to Dunlop 1686
Trotters 1289 defeated saladin 1222
Allblack 1268 defeated JBaller 1202

Ladder

Pos LR Team GP W L D For Aga % Pts
1 1 Stoops 12 10 2 0 17829 15033 118.6 40
2 2 Crazy Bomber 12 10 2 0 17573 15616 112.5 40
3 3 Allblack 12 10 2 0 16397 15525 105.6 40
4 4 Trotters 12 9 3 0 16309 15504 105.2 36
5 5 Dunlop 12 8 4 0 16881 15168 111.3 32
6 6 YSB Smoten 12 8 4 0 15867 15398 103.0 32
7 9 topdon 12 6 6 0 15507 15374 100.9 24
8 8 Alber Goodthur 12 6 6 0 15621 15585 100.2 24
9 7 saladin 12 6 6 0 14999 15006 100.0 24
10 13 redbull 12 5 7 0 14916 15330 97.3 20
11 11 JBaller 12 5 7 0 15013 15769 95.2 20
12 10 Blummers 12 5 7 0 14833 15591 95.1 20
13 15 wezza 12 5 7 0 14360 15197 94.5 20
14 12 Jefferson 12 4 8 0 14511 14855 97.7 16
15 14 Mad Bomber 12 4 8 0 14842 15740 94.3 16
16 17 wimmera 12 4 8 0 14283 15290 93.4 16
17 16 Awesome Scotty 12 3 9 0 14479 15561 93.0 12
18 18 Windy Dill 12 0 12 0 12937 15615 82.8 0

In 3 Days

Alber_Goodthur (8) vs. You Shall Be Smoten (6)
wezza (13) vs. redbull (10)
Mad Bomber (15) vs. Windy Dill (18)
Awesome Scotty (17) vs. wimmera (16)
topdon (7) vs. Blummers (12)
Jefferson (14) vs. Trotters (4)
Match of the Round: Dunlop (5) vs. Allblack (3)
saladin (9) vs. Crazy Bomber (2)
JBaller (11) vs. Stoops (1)

1 Like

That loss hurt.
My ladder position is about right now. Somewhere between 12th and 14th is where I’m at.
I’m still languishing in the 1200s more often than not.

I can only see one win (against @Windy_Dill) and two 50/50s (@The_Mad_Bomber & @saladin) for the season. The rest are looking like being soul crushing smashings.

Wanted to wait until this week to respond to this.
You will be sorely missed as well.

Your competitiveness was at a very high level. And I was always afraid to trade with you because your knowledge of players was very good. I can’t recall how many trades we ended up finalising but you were always fair and honest with the trade offers.
Early on you were great at trading but as the years went on, your drafting got so much better and made you very difficult try and match.

I wish you all the best in whatever is going to be taking up more of your time. As you say, in the end, this competition is just a game and whilst it’s great to be competitive, there are greater things in life to focus on.
I hope you stick around the forum (even at a reduce capacity). Your insight into things is good even though it paints a bit of a target on your back.

4 Likes

As if the The Bench isn’t awkward and confusing enough already, it’s set new heights for the bye rounds.

Not only has it moved Blakey and Coleman to the bench in the matchup tab, but it shows them as not even selected in the Round 12 team!!!?

1 Like

I think that’s happened post the lockout, mine had weird ones as well with players that I had playing moving out of the side and vice versa

As covered here - Bench will attempt to replace bye players with scoring emergency players for the round when it makes its late adjustments Monday morning.

1 Like

Gosh, that horrid call of West over Bruest cost me big time that’s 79 points right there

Onwards we push

@Trotters - You’ll be a big loss to the competition.

I think like Fudge, you’ll take a couple of records into retirement, as I said at the end of last season, it is testament to your competitiveness and continued willingness to strive to improve your side, that you’ve only missed finals twice in a 15 year career. The other one, I’d forgotten about before reading MB’s post - is in 2008, a period of time where CB, and to a lesser extent AS & Fudge, were the only aggressive traders, you came into the competition, saw the hand you were dealt and binned your entire squad - you traded in 20 players in a single off-season - no other new coach has come close to matching it, and I very much doubt it’ll be replicated. I think your entry pushed, CB to be an even better and more aggressive trader, as well which was great for the competition and certainly made trade periods more fruitful for the entire group.

I’ve always admired the fearlessness and lack of sentimentality towards your squad with which both you and CB approached the trade period, and I’m sure MB isn’t the only one that together you’ve pushed to try to be a better trader.

The other strategy you’ve led the league in for the past 5 or so years, is the ability to ignore the AFL draft order and just pick the best ready-made draftee still available. That has advantaged you in multiple ways, a regular player who usually scores well that you’re not having to wait to develop so it keeps you in finals contention, and it allowed you an automatic high-interest bargaining chip at trade periods to upgrade to higher average players for next season.

Everybody who has won a premiership since you came into the competition, also has you to thank as you were the biggest exponent for there to be prize money in the competition.

I’m not sure whether this major change means a promotion at your current employer, or a new vocation, in any case, I’m sure you’ll prove yourself to be as big as an asset to them as you have been to our competition over the years.

11 Likes

Well said.

1 Like