2023 Injury updates and news

surely there must be some issues in the surface ( tullamarine)if we keep getting bloody calf and other soft tissue injuries!! Was the addressed in the review I wonder, and if so what recommendations were made?

Anyone got a training report? HS saying there was match sim today

gotta be something w the surfaces

1 Like

Another soft tissue injury: Hobbs calf strain. It’s becoming epidemic; and ridiculous. At least 6 (maybe more) in a month!!! And the season hasn’t started. Imagine this through the season. What a fiasco!!

Seems like nothing was addressesd in the reivew about the fitness/injury department

Essendon continue to be a joke club what we do best

1 Like

Every year we cop mutlipe soft tissues injuries weeks out before the season start it cant be just bad luck anymore.

ethier the surface at tulla is crap or Murphy is doing a ■■■■■ job

Do we know exactly what is causing the injuries???
Everyone seems to be assuming the players are tearing their calf muscles while running.
Maybe they have been from getting kicked or twisted in hard tackling exercises.
They could be impact injuries, not necessarily because of running or the surface of the ovals.

Sh-t club with sh-t training grounds has injury riddled pre season.

What a surprise.

Sh-t club.

2 Likes

I think it’s fair to assume that they are related to running, but there is so much beyond that we don’t know.

Which muscle of the calf is injured? Is it caused by increase in volume, intensity or fatigue related? Is there an issue with running mechanics? At what point of player feedback is intervention occurring? Are the injuries significant or is there an abundance of caution?

In the absence of information then I think we see people insert their own assumptions which is understandable.

1 Like

I think at this point we can call it a cow.

3 Likes

It could also just be that this pre-season is the first pre-season with absolutely no covid interruptions. No isolating of cases, no protocols, etc.
Some of these players wouldn’t have had such a prolonged period on the training track since the 2020 pre season.
Obviously not the case for all though.

The team is half cooked for rnd 1 after another injury riddled pre season

Never change Essendon you useless club

Interesting to know the number of soft tissue vs trauma. I have this nagging feeling that if the table was just soft tissue, we might be even lower.

On the other hand, are the medical guys from the other clubs so close to their players that they only use super-familiar nicknames when referring to them?

Not too concerned about injuries. List looks pretty healthy to me, especially when you compare to previous years.

If you’re going to improve the fitness of the squad, you need to push the envelope with regard to training loads. And if you do that, players will succumb to injury.

List of injuries in link below.

Brisbane have had a great run the last few years.
Maybe they’ve been borrowing some of the turf from Tullamarine.

hobbs

4 Likes

Ha, Fantasia injured again.
Wasn’t he the big weapon write up again a month or so ago lol.

1 Like

Us big STUZA done a session yet?

But you’re forgetting, they paid some accountants to do an external review, found the fitness dept is A OK.

From the Age article… this is good to know we have the fitness department getting looked at too!

Scott has brought in Peter Blanche, the ex-Brisbane Lions conditioning man who worked at Essendon until 2017, to act as a consultant in the conditioning/high-performance area.

While Blanche is only part-time, he’s been hired to provide a fresh perspective on the Essendon conditioning program and to mentor staff.

Essendon have had a number of injuries in pre-season, especially to talls Peter Wright (calf), Sam Weideman (quad), James Stewart, Nik Cox (back) and Zach Reid (back), with Jake Stringer (leg) also interrupted slightly.

Happily, Wright, Weideman and Stringer are recovered and will play against Gold Coast next week.

1 Like