#22 - Jake Carlisle: Gone

So Jake, Do you wish to self report?

Er not ■■■■■■ likely, I’m a former Essendon player, don’t you guys read the papers?.

But we saw the video of you taking drugs.

No you didn’t.

But there were lines of white stuff on the table.

Wasn’t me, that was all fabricated edited not admissible in court kind of stuff.

Yeah but everbody says you were snorting cocaine!

Nup, that’s why my press release makes no reference whatsoever to drugs.

But we’re the media and we dictate what happens.

Yeah Nah!

Jake: l didn’t do it. It wasn’t me. l wasn’t there. lt’s not my fault. l was dead at the time.

So Jake, Do you wish to self report?

Er not ■■■■■■ likely, I’m a former Essendon player, don’t you guys read the papers?.

But we saw the video of you taking drugs.

No you didn’t.

But there were lines of white stuff on the table.

Wasn’t me, that was all fabricated edited not admissible in court kind of stuff.

Yeah but everbody says you were snorting cocaine!

Nup, that’s why my press release makes no reference whatsoever to drugs.

But we’re the media and we dictate what happens.

Yeah Nah!

Jake: l didn’t do it. It wasn’t me. l wasn’t there. lt’s not my fault. l was dead at the time.

Is Jake related to John Howard?

The following morning Carlisle released a statement apologising for his behaviour, in what was interpreted as an admission of drug use.
Legit legal question for the Q.C.s out there: How is this statement not defamatory?
Seriously? That seems an entirely appropriate sentence to me. Many wouldn't have had the "interpreted as" bit.

It’s a sensible and logical enough sentence. But I don’t see how it isn’t defamatory.

Jake omitted in his statement to profess that he did not inhale, but that’s not an admission. As soon as you say “many have interpreted” then you are getting into weasel words. Who has interpreted? And if you publish one of these supposed interpretations, then that would be getting ever closer to defamation.

My question is a legal question, not a common sense having a private conversation with your mate question.

How can it possibly be defamatory?
He was filmed snorting coke. And he didn’t & hasn’t denied it.

Ah… no he wasn’t. He was filmed snorting a white powder. Could have been anything.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?!?!?!?

And HAP as for “he hasn’t denied it” - that is completely irrelevant. In other news, Jake Carlisle hasn’t denied setting a dwarf on fire.

He is clearly guilty HAP because HE HASN’T DENIED IT.

We have laws and a legal system for a reason.

In your scenario he’s going to pursue someone for saying something that looks like a duck, looks like a duck - without denying it’s a duck?

Can’t you see that that doesn’t make sense?

You either deny it, in which case you can sue for defamation - or you don’t.

There hasn’t been a widely circulated video of him setting a dwarf on fire, or running a military coup in Guam, but if he was, and they were not him or not true, do you think he’d deny it? Or say “I’m sorry for what I did” ?

Defamation is only defamation if it’s not true…

But HAP, you can still take legal action if the statement was made to cause harm.

always surprised that some of things said about James Hird where no taken into court.

Mans an idiot. Good football playing one that we needed to keep on the list, but an idiot.

"His "mates" might have saved his life despite being idiots. Birds of a feather...."

The old Socratic theory that the best thing you can do for an evil doing friend is to ensure that they are severely punished, even if the deserved punishment is execution, which seems a little extreme to me, I must say. It’s early on in Gorgias.
Worth noting that he also says that we should try to ensure that our evil doing enemies should get off scot free, theorising that in this manner they will suffer down the track, in Hades, when it really matters. But I’m stuffed if I reckon letting Fark Carlton get away with anything whatsoever is an option, even if screwing them does keep them out of Hades.

Do mates ask for $20k for the sale of an incriminating video of a friend?

"His "mates" might have saved his life despite being idiots. Birds of a feather...."

The old Socratic theory that the best thing you can do for an evil doing friend is to ensure that they are severely punished, even if the deserved punishment is execution, which seems a little extreme to me, I must say. It’s early on in Gorgias.
Worth noting that he also says that we should try to ensure that our evil doing enemies should get off scot free, theorising that in this manner they will suffer down the track, in Hades, when it really matters. But I’m stuffed if I reckon letting Fark Carlton get away with anything whatsoever is an option, even if screwing them does keep them out of Hades.

He’s from Craigieburn. Lower your expectations on the word “mate”.

Love this argument like he’s just a normal sensible citizen who happens to have a mate that’s crazy.

I’m sorry are you referring to the suburb of Crazyburn? It’s like people who try to call Knifepoint “highpoint”…

I’m sorry are you referring to the suburb of Crazyburn? It’s like people who try to call Knifepoint “highpoint”…

Sorry did too much white powder today.

Considering he’s mid 20’s, unmarried, reasonably rich and on his holidays in Las Vegas, I’d be more disappointed in him if he wasn’t doing coke.

Considering he's mid 20's, unmarried, reasonably rich and on his holidays in Las Vegas, I'd be more disappointed in him if he wasn't doing coke.

Paul, surely you are joking: Doing coke is not legal in nevada.

Nevada Cocaine Laws

Many a tourist has arrived in Las Vegas or Reno with dreams of hitting it big or having the party of a lifetime. Even celebrities have had their Sin City vacations marred by drug charges. Bruno Mars and Paris Hilton have both faced cocaine charges in Clark County. So while vices like gambling and (to a lesser extent) prostitution are legal in Nevada, cocaine use and possession is not.

Nevada authorities crack down heavily on cocaine sale and possession – both are felonies under state law – in response to the increased violence surrounding the manufacturing, trafficking, and use of cocaine. This is a brief summary of cocaine laws in Nevada.

State Cocaine Laws

As a Schedule I narcotic, every state criminalizes the possession, sale, or trafficking of cocaine, though their particular cocaine laws may vary in terms of penalties. As a felony crime in Nevada, the sale of cocaine could mean up to 20 years in prison and even simple possession could mean 6 years in prison, depending on the amount and other factors.

Cocaine Statutes in Nevada

It’s not just state cocaine laws you have to worry about: federal narcotics laws also prohibit everything from simple cocaine possession all the way up to manufacturing and cultivation and trafficking and distribution. Federal penalties for cocaine possession or sale across state lines can be severe.
The following table outlines Nevada’s cocaine laws.

Code Section 453.011; NAC 453.510
Possession 1-6 yrs. and $5000; Subsequent offense: 1-10 yrs. and $10,000; Third offense: 1-20 yrs. and $20,000
Sale 1-20 yrs. and $20,000; Subsequent offense: 5-20 yrs. and $20,000; Third offense: life or 15 yrs. mandatory and $20,000
Trafficking 4-14 g.: 1-6 yrs. and $50,000; 14-28 g.: 2-15 yrs. and $100,000; Over 28 g.: 25-life and $500,000; Double penalties for sale near school

What if he was on a boat?

Considering he's mid 20's, unmarried, reasonably rich and on his holidays in Las Vegas, I'd be more disappointed in him if he wasn't doing coke.

Nevada Cocaine Laws

Many a tourist has arrived in Las Vegas or Reno with dreams of hitting it big or having the party of a lifetime. Even celebrities have had their Sin City vacations marred by drug charges. Bruno Mars and Paris Hilton have both faced cocaine charges in Clark County. So while vices like gambling and (to a lesser extent) prostitution are legal in Nevada, cocaine use and possession is not.

Nevada authorities crack down heavily on cocaine sale and possession – both are felonies under state law – in response to the increased violence surrounding the manufacturing, trafficking, and use of cocaine. This is a brief summary of cocaine laws in Nevada.

State Cocaine Laws

As a Schedule I narcotic, every state criminalizes the possession, sale, or trafficking of cocaine, though their particular cocaine laws may vary in terms of penalties. As a felony crime in Nevada, the sale of cocaine could mean up to 20 years in prison and even simple possession could mean 6 years in prison, depending on the amount and other factors.

It’s not just state cocaine laws you have to worry about: federal narcotics laws also prohibit everything from simple cocaine possession all the way up to manufacturing and cultivation and trafficking and distribution. Federal penalties for cocaine possession or sale across state lines can be severe.

Possession 1-6 yrs. and $5000; Subsequent offense: 1-10 yrs. and $10,000; Third offense: 1-20 yrs. and $20,000
Sale 1-20 yrs. and $20,000; Subsequent offense: 5-20 yrs. and $20,000; Third offense: life or 15 yrs. mandatory and $20,000
Trafficking 4-14 g.: 1-6 yrs. and $50,000; 14-28 g.: 2-15 yrs. and $100,000; Over 28 g.: 25-life and $500,000; Double penalties for sale near school

And?

What if he was on a boat?

If there is one thing I know about Vegas, it’s that nobody there ever breaks the law…

Seriously Chris, what possible point are making?

Nevada Cocaine Laws

State Cocaine Laws

And?

Yeh, breaking the law in foreign countries can be a bit of a thrill. However, 1 year in a US prison would probably sort him out bigtime and it would be no laughing matter.

Breaking the law isn’t the thrill Chris.

Cocaine is.

Breaking the law isn't the thrill Chris.

Cocaine is.

I will take your word for it Paul.

If, as I believe/d, you were saying we should lay off jake because he did the right thing when he left Wim, I’m with you.

If otoh you are saying Dank & the EFC saga is in someway responsible for his current predicament he’s got himself into, & that if not for that, he wouldn’t have used a recreational drug off season & then been so dumb as to post it on the web in any way, … I reckon you’re on your Pat Malone there.

Edit: Maybe you were both just being deliberately obtuse …

I’m saying THE saga is responsible for All Of The Predicaments.
I’m saying if you think Carlisle is the only Essendon player to snort Charlie then I have a bridge to sell you.

He didn’t post it on the web, his mate sold it to the papes.
Whatever, do you want me to hate him for being dumb?
How dumb were you in your early twenties?

SAGA may be responsible for Jake ultimately leaving, … but it aint responsible for his rec drug use, nor his dumbness, nor his age, nor his mates act of bastardry.

I don’t believe you believe that either.

I don’t believe it’s responsible for his age or his mate’s act of bastardry, so we’re halfway there.

Edit: Sorry, on second thought I think the Saga is absolutely partially responsible for his mate’s act of bastardry.
So it’s just his age I agree it has nothing to do with.

Now,… If we were at the bar having an ale, … at this point I’d look at you incredulously & say something along the lines of,…“Thats fkn bullshit mate, … you’re out of your gourd” … then back off & say" Ok, … explain to me how you think that the SAGA leads to Carlisle snorting coke … (assuming he actually did) … do you reckon he never ever before did any rec drugs … had never used coke an as yet unidentified white powder before this stuff started", … are you telling me his IQ level was lowered to the point of imbecile because of it, … or that the stress made him forget not to be stupid??"

And I do think of Blitz as a cyber version of just that, . standing in a pub talking shitt about footy, sooo…

“Thats fkn bullshit mate, … you’re out of your gourd” … …" Ok, … explain to me how you think that the SAGA leads to Carlisle snorting coke … (assuming he actually did) … do you reckon he never ever before did any rec drugs … had never used coke an as yet unidentified white powder before this stuff started", … are you telling me his IQ level was lowered to the point of imbecile because of it, … or that the stress made him forget not to be stupid??"

“Pls explain how you make that logical pole vault … oh & btw, … it’s your hook mate … I got the last one … …”

I’d say, I don’t know if you need another one, mate. you just said the exact same thing to me twice.
But hey, my shout. I’m not your mother.

I’d say, no, you’re getting me wrong.
Look, mate. Look. Do you think Carlisle is the only one at Essendon snorting the marching powder?
No? So why…I mean…no, really, why do you want to hang him for that?
If the same video came out, like, of…you know…Zerrett or someone…would you hate him?

Course not.
So we’re agreed that this isn’t about that.

And…alright, am I saying the Saga caused him to take some recreational drugs? No. I mean, not really.
But it didn’t ■■■■■■’ help, right?

Have a look at the gameday threads! How many people in there could have done with some medicinal help? And Carlisle’s actually playing for them!
's’all I’m saying mate. 's’all I’m saying.
Anyway, mine’s a bourbon.

Can I interest you boys in the Blitz Tavern special, half price pots of FARK CARLTON draught?

I’ll grab my coat…

Can’t drink beer.
Allergic or somthin’.
Anyway, they’re about to fire up the karaoke.
I’ll call the missus for ya.

I’ll be back in a sec…going to loo…