#34 Kyle Hardingham

I'm not saying to drop him. 2 a game is great and long may it continue.
It'd just be nice if he did something extra too. Otherwise he will get dropped if he stops kicking accurately.

I'll ask again, what should he be doing?

Blocking, passing, getting his hands on the footy outside the 50 and using it to help the other forwards. Bringing the ball to ground when he's not in a position to mark it. Putting in forward pressure and getting his hands on the opposition when they have the ball.

He has had 24 touches of the ball in his last three games. He is kicking goals, yes, which is great and very much appreciated. But two goal 8 touch games of footy aren't 'good' games, they're just ok.

To use my favorite comparison, Jetta had 8 touches in 2 and a half quarters, set up two goals with long kicks from outside the 50, kicked 1.2 himself, and had as much influence on the opposition as the others. Everyone thinks Jetta should be out of the side - and he very likely will if Chapman is back and Winders plays.

Granted Kyle was trying to play a key role and had a good defender on him, but he needs to be more than just a psudo-tall in my view. He needs to kick more goals if he's just giving us goals, or needs to more with the footy if he's playing the third forward.

It'd just be nice if he did something extra too. Otherwise he will get dropped if he stops kicking accurately.

He should be taking their TWO best defenders and kicking 4 goals a game. And he should take a paycut - he is a massive drain on our salary cap that prevented us from picking up Dal Santo last year. And he didn't win nearly enough hitouts - all this talk about his amazing vertical leap, but Sandilands destroyed us in the ruck and Hardy was nowhere to be seen.

Blocking, passing, getting his hands on the footy outside the 50 and using it to help the other forwards. Bringing the ball to ground when he's not in a position to mark it. Putting in forward pressure and getting his hands on the opposition when they have the ball.

He has had 24 touches of the ball in his last three games. He is kicking goals, yes, which is great and very much appreciated. But two goal 8 touch games of footy aren't 'good' games, they're just ok.

To use my favorite comparison, Jetta had 8 touches in 2 and a half quarters, set up two goals with long kicks from outside the 50, kicked 1.2 himself, and had as much influence on the opposition as the others. Everyone thinks Jetta should be out of the side - and he very likely will if Chapman is back and Winders plays.

Granted Kyle was trying to play a key role and had a good defender on him, but he needs to be more than just a psudo-tall in my view. He needs to kick more goals if he's just giving us goals, or needs to more with the footy if he's playing the third forward.

You can't think very much of the rest of our forwards then.

We have other forwards?

The contrary.

Winderlich had a **** game against Freo, but he was great against Carlton - much better than Hardi - and he has many runs on the board. 4 goals in 2 games.

Chapman was all over Hardi in every game he has played. 9 goals in 3 games and shed load more around the ground.

Carlisle and Daniher have played out of position with ruck duties the last two and still have had better games. Yes they haven't scored as many goals - just 3 and 4 for them - but they've also rucked, taken marks up the ground as key forwards, and competed more dynamically.

Unless you're taking pot shots at Daniher, who is clearly our future, or Carlisle, who has been used as a key fix-it man, I don't see how Hardi is doing better than any of our forwards.

So he's kicking goals with a good defender on him and playing a key role and somehow that's still not good enough?

So he's kicking goals with a good defender on him and playing a key role and somehow that's still not good enough?

Way to selective read

I half agree with lamaros. He did kick a couple of goals, but his main job was to keep McPharlin and at times Johnson away from our forward entries, and on that count he performed poorly. Both McPharlin and Johnson had about 30 touches each, and numerous intercept possessions. That said, I think Hardy had been a very good performer this year for us, and if he can continue to bob up with a couple of goals a game, his season will be an unqualified success. There aren’t many forwards in the league who are doing that of any type.

I half agree with lamaros. He did kick a couple of goals, but his main job was to keep McPharlin and at times Johnson away from our forward entries, and on that count he performed poorly. Both McPharlin and Johnson had about 30 touches each, and numerous intercept possessions. That said, I think Hardy had been a very good performer this year for us, and if he can continue to bob up with a couple of goals a game, his season will be an unqualified success. There aren't many forwards in the league who are doing that of any type.

I think you need to research the definition of a loose man in defence, whichever one was on hardi the other was loose

Way to selective read

I addressed what was worth addressing.  I guess we'll see how you're assessment of him pans out.  If the coaches agree with you, no reason he shouldn't be dropped ASAP.

I half agree with lamaros. He did kick a couple of goals, but his main job was to keep McPharlin and at times Johnson away from our forward entries, and on that count he performed poorly. Both McPharlin and Johnson had about 30 touches each, and numerous intercept possessions. That said, I think Hardy had been a very good performer this year for us, and if he can continue to bob up with a couple of goals a game, his season will be an unqualified success. There aren’t many forwards in the league who are doing that of any type.

I think you need to research the definition of a loose man in defence, whichever one was on hardi the other was loose

Johnson was mainly the loose man in defence. Hardy was on McPharlin for most of the game, and Johnson for short periods. McPharlin ended up with 31 possessions and 13 marks.

Way to selective read

I addressed what was worth addressing.  I guess we'll see how you're assessment of him pans out.  If the coaches agree with you, no reason he shouldn't be dropped ASAP.

Every season we have calls for players to be dropped, actually it happens pretty much on a weekly basis. This type of speculation is what keeps sites like this ticking over. Nothing wrong with it, but most posters don't take it far enough. Dropping a player is only half the job. There is not much point on calling for a player to be dropped unless a suitable replacement is put forward and reasons given as to why.

Way to selective read

Apart from the fact that I have said the exact opposite? That he shouldn't be dropped yet, but still needs to improve a bit in other areas.

We don't want him outside 50 helping the other forwards or passing it, IMHO.
He is in there as a deep full-forward. Take marks, create spills, apply pressure, and win ground level contests is his go.
Seems to be doing that, albeit had a quiet game this week (ball only came near him 4 times). Having someone who is happy deep & wants to be there is a structural role in itself.

Leads our goalkicking

just sayin

You can't give Carlisle a free pass for playing out of position, but ignore the fact that Hardingham was virtually playing the Jono Brown role. 

He didn't have a good game, but still salvaged two goals from it. And he has been really productive so far this year. The only reason you could take extreme exception to his game on the weekend, is if you've been sitting back looking for the first chance to pot him. 

Leads our goalkicking
just sayin

Yeah but he isn't Jeremy Cameron so we should delist him.

Honest footballer, has played a good role thus far in attack. Paddy back will actually help him because it will mean that Daniher and Carlisle will be forward, they will take the 2 top defenders and Hardy most likely the 3rd, perhaps 4th with Windrrlich there too.

HF: Chapman, Carlisle, Hardingham

F: Winderlich, Daniher/Ryder, Merrett

Reads nicely to me!!

Am waiting for him to take a massive hanger in the square.  Maybe ANZAC day?

After a loss by a fair sized margin, this place becomes something resembling a shambolic circus. Posters line up to put their boots into their favorite whipping boys. Used to be Stanton, now it is Jetta. No surprises regardless of how wrong some posts are. What is of interest in such moments is who’s next? After a bad loss it is the whole team at fault, yet to apportion much of the blame and direct it at one or two individuals is unfair and skewed. Those players who have featured heavily in the Nobby votes this week were the ones who had a crack, the rest were found wanting. The blame should be shared, there are plenty of broad shoulders around to spread the load.