#36 Michael Hartley

They played ambo on him in the final

Yeah there is really nothing there for him and with Hooker back now for good most likely I expect that to be common trend.

For this game.

Hooker vs T.McDonald
Ambrose vs Hogan
Hurley vs Weideman

Indeed.

1 Like

Whatā€™s Gwilt doing these days?

Between Hartley and Brown I think thereā€™s a decent player to be found, but individually both have gaping weaknesses and with a bad midfield both are sitting ducks. Both are not guys you want one on one with the game on the line. Brown is great at running off his man but a diabolical defender, whilst Hartley is more capable at defending but literally has no attacking capabilities and a poor marker to the point of it being a weakness. A good defender is able to pick off opposition attacks when needed. Itā€™s a matter of time before heā€™s beaten because all he adds is killing a contest or being beaten.

Iā€™ve said this before but they should play Hartley as a forward in the VFL to teach him to keep his eyes on the play unfolding in front of him and present to the football.

In the past when heā€™s gone back to VFL level he has played the same way he has in the AFL which gives him a false sense of security because the ball is coming in slower and heā€™s playing on a weaker opponent.

He cant refine his game at that level as a defender.

2 Likes

At team selection woosh stated that Ambrose has to fight for his position in the side. Its clear Harts Ambo and Brown are fighting for that 3rd tall role until Marty is fit again. By that time Francis may be in the mix as well. Whether 1 or 2 of that group get to play long term depends on whether Hooker goes forward. 5 into 2 does not go. ( matchup dependent) then presumably Zerk and Ridley start to enter the equation.

Congrats to Harts, his partner had their baby last night.

17 Likes
24 Likes

Awwwwww sheā€™s gorgeous :slight_smile:

1 Like

Played a really good game against the Tigers, he is a different player at VFL level, plays like a man who knows he is good enough and you can see his confidence in the way he defends and rebounds. Unfortunately, he hasnā€™t developed that confidence at AFL level and as a result he plays like a guy who is scared of making a mistake and conceding a goal, which leads to him giving away panic frees, shelving his intercept marking and his hoof.

If he is retained, which looks likely, he needs to focus on either his strength or his running as I donā€™t think he has a clear physical ā€˜weaponā€™ or standout physical attribute which would likely contribute to his lack of confidence at senior level - where most KFā€™s would have a clear physical strength which their game would be built around, using that attribute to work over their defender. At the moment Harts can be exposed by the mobile, the endurance and the gorilla KFā€™s; I think Harts fares best against the gorillaā€™s and should aim to make that his niche. Once he is confident of matching or out muscling his opponents weā€™ll see his confidence grow and heā€™ll begin to show the form he displays in the VFL.

9 Likes

On fire tonight @HirdMentality

And canā€™t believe how little love this thread gets.

4 posts ago is April!

Hope the big fella develops into the big fella we need. Does have some great attributes.

1 Like

Davis is someone he could learn from, the desperate acts is something missing in Hartleys game.

He was a dominant force today, at VFL level he is far more intuitive and plays the ball and his not completely fixated on his opponent. For me he is a great build for a genuine KPB, tall, good strength especially in his hips, decent pace, his body shape isnā€™t the issue itā€™s all above his shoulders.

1 Like

Bossed the backline yesterday, played very well.

3 Likes

If he gets another year I reckon itā€™ll just be a ā€œbreak in case of emergencyā€ type thing. ie Joey stays ruined, meaning Brown stays forward and Hooker starts getting old man injuries.

Really wish heā€™d continued on his path to becoming someone who could just put a stop to the gorilla forwards. I wonder what happened pre season 2017 that made him change direction toward a more McPhee style of play.

1 Like

A more McPhee style of play? I donā€™t really see any similarities at all

Not bnf McPhee obviously. Mr spin 360 ā– ā– ā– ā–  pants and then turn it over McPhee.

You get a lot more time to dispose of the ball in the VFL.
I love him, and Iā€™d love for him to get back to AFL level.

4 Likes

Personally I donā€™t think Harts has ever really stunk it up at AFL level.

I think heā€™s a pretty decent stopper and I reckon he would be getting regular games in most AFL sides.
Iā€™d keep another year as I doubt he holds any worthwhile trade value, and is decent depth.

Strength wise heā€™s just a level below playing on the really big forwards like Hurls can, tends to grab jumpers and hold on too much, heā€™s a really good step in, leap, punch defender.

Ironically after being let get go by Pies, they would prob kill for him right now.

3 Likes

I donā€™t really rate him but he reminds me of Hooker in about his 3rd year. Second guesses himself at every turn.

Maybe the best thing for him would be for the coaches to say ā€œyouā€™re full back for the next 4 weeks, and we believe you can make itā€.

2 Likes